DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar pro cinema VS Freewell hybrid filters

Hi Jeff, surely your company must state that the purchaser "may" be liable for import duties and Taxes though? The last 3 inexpensive items I have purchased from the US have all been frustratingly stopped at customs for the said charges which aren't cheap and are payable for anything over £15 or $20 so all your filter packs are currently liable.
We are not sure because each country has different tax laws.

We take the stance, if the product gets to your country, and you no longer wish to receive it, we would be happy to get you a refund immediately.
We are on your side, if it works out great, if not we have outstanding customer service to take care of you and help find an alternative.

Thanks!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Awesome! If you have been shooting for 22 years, I am sure you know there is difference between coated and non coated filters :)
There is a reason why all DP's and all of our ProTeam exclusively shoot coated filters.

-Jeff
Well of course you TEAM shoots with your filters - thats great, because you give them the filters to use. I think the question was about Freewell filters though ?! Wasnt it ?? To be honest. If I'd to shoot a production with a 4K Black magic or AR an URSA.. coated filters are the bomb. When you shoot action adventure I won't use a coated filter. Just another thing to realise, if a broadcast scope doesn't pick up a 4% difference your eye won't either. Although ur filters might stop lens flares... Some producers actually want the lens flares. Like an early morning shot of MTB riders riding out over and African sky. It calls for lens flares.... And I personally would want it that way. We have just finished the Cape Epic MTB event in Cape Town South Africa, and the producer specifically asked for lensflares. Your statement of DOP's preferring the coated filters is true when it comes to a controlled environment shooting with a prime. It depends on the effect and look you want on your footage. And yes, I know the difference between a coated and non coated filter. Hence I have a complete set of Formatt HiTech,s that I use with my Blackmagic URSA.

Last edited:
Reactions: drmort
Well of course you TEAM shoots with your filters - thats great, because you give them the filters to use. I think the question was about Freewell filters though ?! Wasnt it ?? To be honest. If I'd to shoot a production with a 4K Black magic or AR an URSA.. coated filters are the bomb. .

Awesome those are some fun cameras to shoot with!
You are absolutely correct AR coatings reduce lens flaring, and non coated filters can increase flaring.

We make both, coated (Cinema Series) and non Coated (standard) for this very reason.

Have a great night :)
-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: drmort
i got the freewell and tested today.. discovered you cant power on with them attached as gimbal can't rotate properly and won't initialise.. this is useless as every time you change batt filter has to come off so you power up again.. i will be sending them back

I have the freewell filters and haven't have any trouble initializing with the filters already mounted.

Reactions: RobP62
Here are my results with the Polar Pro cinema shutter series:

Awesome those are some fun cameras to shoot with!
You are absolutely correct AR coatings reduce lens flaring, and non coated filters can increase flaring.

We make both, coated (Cinema Series) and non Coated (standard) for this very reason.

Have a great night :)
-Jeff from PolarPro

Jeff,

I ordered the Cinema Series ND/PL filters. My question is while watching several YouTube videos on PL filters, the filters are rotated to obtain the best image and reduce the glare, etc. Since the cinema series slide onto the lens of the Mavic I am assuming you cannot rotate them on the gimbal. Do the PP Cinema ND/PL filters have to be rotated in some way for a best picture, or are the coatings uniform and obtain the same result regardless of the position?

Thanks, John

Here are my results with the Polar Pro cinema shutter series:

Really nice what re the ones you used?
I planning to order some but I don t know if I should go for ND or NDPL
And do you think 16 is enough ?

Jeff,

I ordered the Cinema Series ND/PL filters. My question is while watching several YouTube videos on PL filters, the filters are rotated to obtain the best image and reduce the glare, etc. Since the cinema series slide onto the lens of the Mavic I am assuming you cannot rotate them on the gimbal. Do the PP Cinema ND/PL filters have to be rotated in some way for a best picture, or are the coatings uniform and obtain the same result regardless of the position?

Thanks, John

Hi John, you will need to rotate before each flight to orient the polarizer, then press the filter on. You are correct it will not rotate while on the camera (because of tight tolerances on the Mavic). Also marking the filter would not do much good, because the filter orientation changes relative to the suns position in the sky. Thanks for supporting our brand and let me know if you have any other questions! -Jeff from PolarPro

i got the freewell and tested today.. discovered you cant power on with them attached as gimbal can't rotate properly and won't initialise.. this is useless as every time you change batt filter has to come off so you power up again.. i will be sending them back

You aren't pushing the filter all the way on, they have worked fine since day one, the pp first run had issues not taco or freewell.

I've had the Polar Pro ND Neutral Density Filters for DJI Mavic (Cinema Series) - 6 pack on back order with Hobby Mounts since 20/02/2017. Think its time to cancel and look at alternatives.

Are these really worth £150 compared to others?

Should I consider the Polar Pro Standard 6 Pack "Includes CP, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL filters" or just save the money and go for something £50?

Freewell works great I also bought taco, sols them to a pal he digs them just fine, put the extra you save buying taco or freew towards another battery !
33116192fabd21cdaa79961dea83b31a.jpg

fc465475f9c6c3ca41c9ded6f08c0e0f.jpg

Both shot with nd4

Reactions: debric france
Hi John, you will need to rotate before each flight to orient the polarizer, then press the filter on. You are correct it will not rotate while on the camera (because of tight tolerances on the Mavic). Also marking the filter would not do much good, because the filter orientation changes relative to the suns position in the sky. Thanks for supporting our brand and let me know if you have any other questions! -Jeff from PolarPro

Do you have image that can show Pl and not pl difference

I'm wondering if anybody tested both ND/PL filters available and saw a difference?

As Freewell is offering the shipping, it makes a big difference on the price for me but would like to be sure.

As I ordered the official dji normal ND I'm thinking of getting only the PL ones.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@WeeelzWorld - I have never used Freewell but I use PolarPro filters and they are awesome. I use the Vivid Collection | Cinema Series which includes ND4PL / ND8PL and the ND16PL. I also use there Standard Series | Mavic Air / ND4 / ND8 & ND16 as well...EQUIPMENT USED: MavicAir & PolarPro Standard Series ND8 filter on this shot looking out into the Gulf of Mexico and Boca Ciega Bay on St Pete Beach FL

IMG_7754.jpgIMG_7756.jpg

Last edited:
There is no ND/PL 32 & 64 that exists in the market right?

Is there a reason?

I have Polar Pro for all my past birds. But to answer your question, Freewell does have 32 and 64.

The All Day pack comes with ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, and ND64/PL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman