DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar pro help!

Foxtrot Uniform

Reactions
Can someone from polar pro please shoot me a PM. My best gal bought a set of mavic filters for xmas and they didn't fit and fell right off the camera. she contacted them and they sent a return shipping label and mailed out a new set immediately! Unfortunately the second set had the same issue as the first. She has been trying to contact polar pro for a few days now (email and a few calls) with no answer. Not trying to bash here just want to get a credit for these so I can order the new cinematic series filters!!

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Can someone from polar pro please shoot me a PM. My best gal bought a set of mavic filters for xmas and they didn't fit and fell right off the camera. she contacted them and they sent a return shipping label and mailed out a new set immediately! Unfortunately the second set had the same issue as the first. She has been trying to contact polar pro for a few days now (email and a few calls) with no answer. Not trying to bash here just want to get a credit for these so I can order the new cinematic series filters!!
You can reach customer service by calling: 949-220-9395 or email: [email protected]
We will be able to get you upgraded right away,
-Jeff

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
Hey Jeff, is there a cinematic CP filter? Or does the CP filter in the Pro 6 pack have the same ND value as the ND4PL?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Hey Jeff, is there a cinematic CP filter? Or does the CP filter in the Pro 6 pack have the same ND value as the ND4PL?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
The ND4/PL is a 2-stop Polarizer, the CP is about a 1.6 stop, so we did not make the CP in the Cinema Series due to them being very close to the same.
-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: avanti1963
The ND4/PL is a 2-stop Polarizer, the CP is about a 1.6 stop, so we did not make the CP in the Cinema Series due to them being very close to the same.
-Jeff from PolarPro

Jeff - How do you install a PL filter in the Mavic when the filter does not have the ability to rotate?. I have a set of PolarPro 3-Pack ( CP, ND8, and ND16 ) thank you very much. I don't think I have use for the CP, the ones I use the most are ND8 & ND16 and happy with the quality they produce on pictures and videos. I have been contemplating on buying the Cinema Series Vivid collection and noticed those are PL filters.

In order to obtain the best benefit of PL filters you need to rotate them and install at the right angle, but how do you achieve that on the Mavic?.

Jeff - How do you install a PL filter in the Mavic when the filter does not have the ability to rotate?. I have a set of PolarPro 3-Pack ( CP, ND8, and ND16 ) thank you very much. I don't think I have use for the CP, the ones I use the most are ND8 & ND16 and happy with the quality they produce on pictures and videos. I have been contemplating on buying the Cinema Series Vivid collection and noticed those are PL filters.

In order to obtain the best benefit of PL filters you need to rotate them and install at the right angle, but how do you achieve that on the Mavic?.

Hold the filter in front of the camera and rotate it while looking at your monitor.
Once you get it aligned, just press it onto the camera and you are good to go!
-Jeff from PolarPro

I've had the PL filters on My Mavic and have found the footage terrible - but I've worked out that if the little PP is at the top that should be it positioned perfectly. Will try next time i'm out. PS what is the best option for install of pro (black) filters - turn on - let gimbal do its setup - fit filter. I can't turn it off and on again as the gimbal motion makes the filter hit against the support.DJI_0294.JPG

Polarizing filters always operate at max when 90 degrees to the sun. So point the filter at right angles to the sun and rotate until you get the deepest sky or desired effect. Mark the filter on top so you can install easily.

I have a pertinent question for PolarPro - ND 32 is 5 full stops of light reduction.
Assume the sunny 16 rule still applies to the Mavic camera and you have ISO 100 set for best quality. The lens has a f2.8 aperture. So to satisfy the sunny 16 rule you'd need that ND32 to get f16 (equivalent) to get a 1/100 shutter speed.
Is that sufficient to eliminate the banding from the blades? Are there any good charts or guidelines to recommend which value is best for ambient lighting?
I'm a semi-pro photographer so I have a light meter to read EV.

I have a pertinent question for PolarPro - ND 32 is 5 full stops of light reduction.
Assume the sunny 16 rule still applies to the Mavic camera and you have ISO 100 set for best quality. The lens has a f2.8 aperture. So to satisfy the sunny 16 rule you'd need that ND32 to get f16 (equivalent) to get a 1/100 shutter speed.
Is that sufficient to eliminate the banding from the blades? Are there any good charts or guidelines to recommend which value is best for ambient lighting?
I think in reality, the ND filters on the mavic are more geared toward getting the 180 degree shutter rule on your video to achieve the cinematic look....ie: 1/48th of a second shutter speed at 24fps or 1/60th at 30fps. I'm sure there my be instances where using them for your stills would be helpful, but I know that's not what most people are using them for.

@PolarPro, maybe you can confirm/clear up my understanding of linear vs. circular polarized filters. I'm new to CP, have used linear for years on my SLR. Never had CP filters ever suggested to me, so I ignored them. I'm just a lightweight hobbyist when it comes to shooting on the ground.

Anyway, I DO understand polarization as an optics concept from the physics aspect. So I thought (wrongly) that CP filters were simply filtering out chirality in one direction and passing the other. As such, rotational orientation was irrelevant, and the Mavic CP filters can just be pushed on with no attention to orientation.

Then I came across this article: All about Polarizers - Linear and Circular by Bob Atkins, completely throwing out what I thought a photographic CP filter was. In fact, it is NOT a circular polarized filter, but in fact a linear to circular polarization converter. The reasons behind this approach are explained in the article for anyone interested; the key point is that the CP filters from PolarPro are directional, so rotational orientation affects the ability to block linear polarized reflections.

So, basically, treat CP filters the same as LP filters when setting up. Correct?

(aside: After that article explained in more depth and forced me to think about the whole issue in some detail, I realized how meaningless using and actual CP filter would be for photography)

I think in reality, the ND filters on the mavic are more geared toward getting the 180 degree shutter rule on your video to achieve the cinematic look....ie: 1/48th of a second shutter speed at 24fps or 1/60th at 30fps. I'm sure there my be instances where using them for your stills would be helpful, but I know that's not what most people are using them for.
I was in fact referring to video - that's why I mentioned banding which is caused by the rotors. 1/100 sec shutter speed is still higher than the more desirable 1/48. Given this I'm wondering if an even higher ND is required for sunny days.
Since most folks use the 32 I have to assume it works ok - just asking about the mechanics as it applies to video so I can confirm EV (exposure values) to use the 8 and 4 from the set.
So in a nutshell I was hoping for a list of EV's and corresponding ND filter with corresponding shutter speeds. It would make selection simpler on location, take a light reading pick correct filter and fly.

I was in fact referring to video - that's why I mentioned banding which is caused by the rotors. 1/100 sec shutter speed is still higher than the more desirable 1/48. Given this I'm wondering if an even higher ND is required for sunny days.
Since most folks use the 32 I have to assume it works ok - just asking about the mechanics as it applies to video so I can confirm EV (exposure values) to use the 8 and 4 from the set.
So in a nutshell I was hoping for a list of EV's and corresponding ND filter with corresponding shutter speeds. It would make selection simpler on location, take a light reading pick correct filter and fly.
I haven't tried it, but Polar Pro has a filter calculating app, but something tells me it doesn't have EVs built into the equation.

Reactions: Brojon
I haven't tried it, but Polar Pro has a filter calculating app, but something tells me it doesn't have EVs built into the equation.
Thanks but I couldn't find much of anything. I'll just wing it on that one - I can mount teh filter then adjust the camera and correlate with EV readings on meter. It'd take less time to do it than dig on the interwebs ;)

Hi Brojon,

The ND32 filter will generally drop your shutter speed to 1/60th on a very bright day. At 1/60th the props will generally be blurred out of frame assuming you at full throttle forward and taking a video. I would recommend reducing your speed this way you do not need to worry about the props being in frame. If you are referring to prop shadow, and ND filter will help, but not fully eliminate the prop shadows. Lens Hoods are very helpful for reducing prop shadows asw well.

- Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: Brojon
Thanks - I think this is the first time I've seen a recommendation for a hood.
Most folks think they aren't very good.
I've got the Polar Pro series with PL on my birthday list - look like I'll need to add that 32 as well.
BTW - why don't you folks make a set that has the nd32 and drop the nd4? Much more useful.

Reactions: Jamison74
Hi Brojon,

No problem! The hood definitely comes in handy if you're looking to do something like reduce the prop shadows. Regarding your inquiry about a set that includes the ND32, we do offer a couple of sets that sound like what you're looking for. The Cinema Series 6-Pack as well as the Cinema Series Shutter Collection for the Mavic both include the ND32 filter along with the polarized ones. Both are listed under the Mavic section of our site. Are those the kind of sets you were attempting to find?

- Oliver from PolarPro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh