DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Gimbal cover: on or off?

Do you keep the gimble cover on during flight?

• Total voters
Yeah this poll is misleading .... needs more questions to get an idea of people's sentiment. I fly with it off, but not due to heat issues.

The only misleading thing about the poll is that I still don't know what a gimble is.. a nimble gimbal?

Here's what's happens when I fly with the gimbal cover on. White rainbows on every sodding photo!

DJI_0028.JPG DJI_0031.JPG

1. The gimbal is NOT that fragile. No, you don't want to be kicking it around like a soccer ball. But you don't have to handle it like an egg either. Treat it like any other electronic equipment and it will be fine.

2. Heat is really NOT a big issue when flying with the gimbal cover on. If you're flying in a 110 degree environment, then heat can be an issue, but probably not because of the gimbal cover.

3. I bought my Mavic Pro more for the video aspect (80%) and less for the flying aspect (20%). So I can't imagine degrading my video for whatever reason. I have a ND filter on pretty much at all times, so that's enough protection for me. On the other hand, some people don't care about the video. They enjoy the thrill of flying much more. So let them be. I mean, they're clearly in the wrong, but to each his own. :D

Think this thread has been overly discussed. Fly how you want. You bought the drone, do what you want. Just reminding, if you ask for an opinion, you'll get several. By the way, the dome should never leave the ground. [emoji4]

Video quality aside, half of the DJI videos have the cover on. I have never flown with mine on but tried the shade/ glare cover and even after grinding it I get a shadow in half the screen in sport mode so I don't use it anymore either.

Reactions: MicheleStapleton
Something like this will protect your gimbal, reduce glare, and not create distortion like the clear bubble will.

Amazon.com: Mavic Lens Hood Sun Shade Lens Hood Gimbal Protective Cover For DJI Mavic pro: Camera & Photo

That is what I use never fly with out it as I want to make sure my gimbal is protected all the time but also want good footage and this works brilliantly any one that flys with out it is tempting fate it has saved my gimbal several times now I am surprised every one is not using it get protection, air flow, and no glare, to me it's a no brainier

1081781d18057a2cea3a80fce99e4af1.jpg

And can get them in different colours to

Drone Valley did a test and showed the Mavic does run significantly hotter with the gimbal cover on:

That, combined with the horrible glare that makes videos look like they were directed by J.J. Abrams and I would never fly with the cover on. I usually fly with ND filters, which have the added benefit of protecting the lens from bugs, as if that's actually a problem. Which it isn't.

This is the worst test ever. No it doesnt it has been proven again and again and again that there is no different. The hearsink at the bottom is the ine that does most of the cooling.

This video is the worst from him.

I'm more interested to know how many people bother putting the gimbal clamp back on after the flight? It's so **** fiddly, and I constantly forget to take it off before flying so have to land immediately and remove it, worrying that I've just damaged the motors.

Is it really that necessary for storage and transport?

I'm more interested to know how many people bother putting the gimbal clamp back on after the flight? It's so **** fiddly, and I constantly forget to take it off before flying so have to land immediately and remove it, worrying that I've just damaged the motors.

Think of it like the seat belt. You won't need it 99.99% of the time. But that ONE time when you get into an accident, it would have saved your life. Or when your friend brakes really hard and you end up hitting your forehead on the windshield because you didn't wear your seat belt, and you end up looking stupid. Probably should have worn your seat belt.

If you routinely keep your MP out and not in any case, then it's probably a good idea to always use the clamp. If your MP is always inside a hard case, and you are not constantly carrying your MP everywhere, then the clamp could even be more harmful than useful (risk of damaging the gimbal by inserting/removing the clamp could exceed the risk of damage by not having it on). IT REALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR USAGE. The way I use it, I probably don't need the clamp or the cover. But I still put them on when not flying, just in case. Like if I dropped my hard case, or I dropped the MP on to the ground while removing it from the hard case, or some other stupid thing.

Reactions: Joely-Bird

Do yourself a favor and pick up the Teenitor combination gimbal dome and gimbal lock. Much easier to install and remove than the stock option. I always felt like I was going to break the gimbal trying to remove the stock lock.

Reactions: jorn and Joely-Bird