DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potential fallout from lawbreaker?

Evening all, someone local to me has been posting photos on a local FB page of the area taken with his new DJI FPV, stating that the photos are taken from 500m up. Now if he chooses to break the law in this way that's up to him, although that is a lot higher than the upper limit and does seem to be at a height which could definitely poise a risk, however is there a chance this could have repercussions for those of us who fly our drones legally and safely within the area(rural Scotland)? Has the been instance where issues like this have lead to local clampdown or greater policing? It seems a bit daft to fly that high then boast about it on Facebook.

Truly depends where "they" are located (AGL). Where I live and do most of my droning - are mountains. If I "only" flew the max 400 ft (US) from inside a valley that may be 500-1,000 ft below the mountain tops - I'd not be able to get many decent pics. While "technically" flying above 400 ft where I AM is the rule - I'm pretty sure that if a mountain top is 500+ feet higher than where I am - am I really breaking the rules - since no aircraft should be in that low to the mountain tops. Sure, it is all debatable and were I in an area that is completely flat for miles around - I do stay at the 400 ft limit; as aircraft CAN and DO fly lower in those areas.

NO WAY would I ever try to fly at 500 m or over 1,500 ft up anywhere. Besides not being VLOS; you have entered aircraft flying space and are a real danger.

The legal height limit is 120m / 400ft above ‘earth’ regardless of where you are. It’s not above sea level it’s the height from the earth surface to the drone, not from the take off point. In no way is 500m anywhere near legal, that’s just irresponsible to the rest of the drone community. As far as I know the height given in the fly app is from the take off point (home point) to the drone, so if you fly out over a valley for instance you would be a lot higher than your original take off point.
What @PhiliusFoggg was referring to is taking off at low altitude flying up a hillside. The drone could be 500m above launch point (the height that you see on the screen) but only 50m above the surface it’s currently flying over and still be legal

Send him a private message and ask him. He may not even know what the legal requirements are. I find that's too common. If he doesn't know, that's one thing. But if he did, I doubt he'd be broadcasting the altitude on a public page.

The idea he does not know is highly debatable. The DJI software is set to a max of 400 feet (US) and and a person has to manually change those parameters. Even doing that, when you hit 400 feet - the FlyApp lets you know quite distinctly with sound and a warning on the screen that you have gone above the max limit.

How would I know - I've changed my height parameters when I fly in areas where I'm hiking down into deeper valleys and the ridgelines are way beyond 400 feet. I may increase my height to like 500 feet so I can get better views from my launch point - but will not be high enough to be a danger to even the lowest flying aircraft - if they are maintaining THEIR flight level above the ridgeline.

Doing so in mostly flat areas and at 500m or 1,500 feet is pretty absurd. I would never ever consider that height okay - unless I was on Mt Everest or some super peak somewhere and I was far below the peak with a 15+% grade to it.

Okay, this is what you do. Send him a message somehow, either private or even publicly. State that you thought his photos were amazing and you had thought about getting a drone for a long time. Tell him you would love to be as good as he is one day, taking photos and ask him some basic beginner questions. What do they cost, how high can they go, how far do they fly and how long do the batteries last. Ask him if you need a license and and is there a limit to how high you are allowed to fly.

Let him give you all that info and ask if he might help you out in choosing a suitable drone. Then ask him how high he was when he took the photos he posted and once you have all that info, report him to the CAA and local police, secretly, if he was flying illegally!
Reported him to the police last night, they popped round this morning for the screenshots I'd taken on the way to see him. Interestingly told me that they'd spoken to the aviation office who had told them that atm with the new laws things were a bit all over the place. They took it less seriously than I'd thought but they were going to chat to him and at least it means if someone local reports me for my legal flying I can expect them to be understanding.

What @PhiliusFoggg was referring to is taking off at low altitude flying up a hillside. The drone could be 500m above launch point (the height that you see on the screen) but only 50m above the surface it’s currently flying over and still be legal

I fly in many conditions just as you state. f I hike into a valley / gorge / etc. and ridgeline is 500+ feet above where I AM STANDING / flying the drone from - I'd never get decent drone footage at 400 ft AGL if based on where I AM. And like you said - the drone would be maybe 50-100 feet above the ground / trees no less.

I agree completely but that seems to be the mentality these days. Create another law that will be broken.
No it's not.
The regulations exist already.
There's no need to make more laws to deal with infractions.

Flying within 50m of residential areas is.
This is meant to be funny: Well, he’s got that licked, flying at 500 m puts him 450 m above that 50 m limit! ?
Yes, I know. 50 m horizontally!

@Ceramicsbyjoshuawilliams are you sure its 500m high, thats 1645 ft and at that height the pictures would not be very good for detail ,with the size of the aperture on the camera ,have a look at a picture at 50m and then compare it to the ones he is posting ,he could just be trying to elicit a response from others ,and to see if anyone does respond ,but i agree he is not helping the cause for those of us who fly drones
How can you see any thing at that hight that's insain the rest of us are going to suffer the consequences for a choice few that ignor the drone laws it's getting harder to fly the way it is unreal!!

Reactions: old man mavic
If i post anything regarding a flight, i think these words,"anything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Okay, this is what you do. Send him a message somehow, either private or even publicly. State that you thought his photos were amazing and you had thought about getting a drone for a long time. Tell him you would love to be as good as he is one day, taking photos and ask him some basic beginner questions. What do they cost, how high can they go, how far do they fly and how long do the batteries last. Ask him if you need a license and and is there a limit to how high you are allowed to fly.

Let him give you all that info and ask if he might help you out in choosing a suitable drone. Then ask him how high he was when he took the photos he posted and once you have all that info, report him to the CAA and local police, secretly, if he was flying illegally!
Bit too much like STASI for my liking. Dripford is already halfway to making Wales like Eastern Germany. Sturgeons Scotland is going the same way. There has to be a better way.

@PeteTheJack ,please refrain from political comments on the forum thanks ,we are all fed up with the restrictions ,but this forum is not the place to air them

I agree completely but that seems to be the mentality these days. Create another law that will be broken.
It's a general problem... it's easier for them to try and address the result rather than trying to solve the underlying cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mile_high
Bit too much like STASI for my liking. Dripford is already halfway to making Wales like Eastern Germany. Sturgeons Scotland is going the same way. There has to be a better way.
Wont be an issue soon with him wanting to lock all men up after 6pm to keep the streets safe :).

I'd suggest a polite but public warning, reminding him of the risks to other aircraft, their passengers (if manned aircraft), and other UAV pilots. He is a danger to others, and needs to be stopped. If he fails to respond to your warning, then report him.

Evening all, someone local to me has been posting photos on a local FB page of the area taken with his new DJI FPV, stating that the photos are taken from 500m up. Now if he chooses to break the law in this way that's up to him, although that is a lot higher than the upper limit and does seem to be at a height which could definitely poise a risk, however is there a chance this could have repercussions for those of us who fly our drones legally and safely within the area(rural Scotland)? Has the been instance where issues like this have lead to local clampdown or greater policing? It seems a bit daft to fly that high then boast about it on Facebook.
stupid people will do stupid things

So, the guy might be a jerk for breaking local regs and bragging about it, but why would we want to do him one better by lying to him about our intentions and then ratting him out? I get the desire to give him a good lesson, but I like to out in the open approach. If the original offender continues to offend the authorities will eventually help him break his bad habits. Better that way I think than mucking up the drone pilot community with "sting" operations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki