DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision Landing Question

Turnerm

Reactions
So up until now I've simply been using the "auto" launch option and checking the "precision landing" checkbox to ensure I get a good precision landing recorded. I've been pleasantly surprised with it's accuracy and I've been landing on my back deck in a fairly tight spot (has to land between the house, the deck railing, and a table). I've only had to pause flight and hand land it a few times (and one of those was at night which I fully expected it to not find it's landing spot at all).

Anyway - from my reading thus far (I'm new... probably have 15 or so flights under my belt) it sounds like you don't have to use the auto launch feature and that simply taking off vertically to a point of 10 meters (roughly 30ish feet) and pausing briefly (or not - depending on who you ask) will accomplish the same thing as using the auto launch with precision landing checkbox enabled. Is that right?

It sure would be nice if you got a verbal notification such as "precision landing point recorded" to let you know that you're good to go.

You don't have to use auto launch feature for precision landing to work. I manually take off and always get the voice notification "precision landing point reordered".
Try it.

Reactions: Turnerm
You don't have to use auto launch feature for precision landing to work. I manually take off and always get the voice notification "precision landing point reordered".
Try it.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I guess I've never manually taken off before so that's why I've never received the "precision landing point recorded" notification!

Noticed your from Raleigh, NC. I'm in Charlotte, NC! I'm heading to Hilton Head, SC this coming weekend with the family and staying in Harbour Town right off the 18th green. I can't wait to take the Mavic up for some footage there.

Reactions: harryb
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I guess I've never manually taken off before so that's why I've never received the "precision landing point recorded" notification!

Noticed your from Raleigh, NC. I'm in Charlotte, NC! I'm heading to Hilton Head, SC this coming weekend with the family and staying in Harbour Town right off the 18th green. I can't wait to take the Mavic up for some footage there.
My mavic goes with me everywhere.
Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
I just arrived in Orlando tonight. Should've brought it with me here. The trees are super low here so I would get fantastic range!

You don't need to use auto launch to utilize the precise landing. I never use auto launch and always start my drone via the manual sticks.

I've made a small board out of foam core for the Mavic to take off from and land on in the field.

I pause for a second or two when taking off at about 10 feet in the air until I feel it locks to my board.

The design allows for greater accuracy with the precision landing. It differentiates the landing surface from the surrounding ground and makes it much easier for the Mavic's down-looking cameras.

Attachments

• IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
Like wayy510, take off then wait until you hear a confirmation, same with allowing full GPS lock.
Do not rush the take off procedure .
I always watch the screen closely to check reception and Sat locks. If not right I won't fly until this sorted.

The screen tell up top saying GPS ready to fly and it's green also alon the top you will see how many sats you have I wait until 11 plus usually and they are steady. You can fly less but I have always had good reception and haven't tried with less so far.
After every update I have a "safe" area open and free of trees obstacles water etc and take it through 3 batteries. Bit OCD but that's me.

Reactions: HarryMerkin
I've been pleasantly surprised with it's accuracy
I was also surprised how accurate it was even on a windy day. I posted this short video on youtube. I initiated RTH at around 37 second mark. It was off heading by a few degrees and over to the right a couple inches, but I'm not complaining, it landed on the board it took off from. I'm typically seeing 16-20 sats on GPS. I've been flying DJI P3P and some 3DR solos, and I really like this Mavic.

With the array of sensors this bird has, I was surprised the other day when it got confused by the morning sun, apparently saw the glare as an obstacle. I flew sideways to come home. Will have to turn off OA on early morning and late evening flights.

Last edited:
The last few (3-5) takeoffs, I never got the verbal " The Home point has been recorded..." The map location was correct, plenty of Sat's, etc. So the only way to get that verbal confirmation was to change the "home point" to RC location, then change it back to the takeoff spot. Then I would get the confirmation. It worked perfectly before, and have not done any updates. Thoughts?

With the array of sensors this bird has, I was surprised the other day when it got confused by the morning sun, apparently saw the glare as an obstacle. I flew sideways to come home. Will have to turn off OA on early morning and late evening flights.
If this happens put your drone into Sport mode. this will turn off your front sensors. I just got done reading another post about this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78