DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Public vs Private Roads & Property

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got most of it right but if you tell a person they are trespassing and need to leave, and they remain they can be arrested. If your property is legally posted, and there are specific laws for what is legal signage there is no need to verbally tell them.

He then informed that he could not arrest the person for trespass if there was no signs warn the interloper where my property started.

Arizona has some "different" trespassing laws but that is not the topic here.

There are Apps for your phone or tablet that will work like a GPS and tell show you land ownership. Because I hunt and do a fair amount of back roading I use OnXmaps. It is not specifically for hunting but helps to keep you from trespassing where you should not be. They run specials at times and you can get your state for around $30. The entire US is around $100. There are others available and if you are going to randomly pick someplace to fly that would be helpful.

So If a cop or any other person comes to your house and says "i just want to come in and have a look around" you should not be a "trouble maker and just let them in". Wise up. There are laws in this country and the first set comes from the Constitution. I guess what you are trying to say is "Papers Please". It is people that make comments like "you are just looking to start trouble with your attitude" that is the biggest problem in this country.
Get into that shower and don't make trouble! Drones are the smallest of our problems these days.
You’ve “what-iffed” yourself right out of the context of the post. And, you do realize, I hope, that there are members here from all over the globe; it’s not all about ‘Murica, eh?

Last edited:
I really enjoy these technical air and land sleuthing threads! Very well done and informative everybody. Good luck desert vet, if this spot is not right for you then hopefully there is an even better one waiting to be discovered just around the corner!
Thank you...i'll have to do some resea
Did you ever officially answer the question by asking LE?
Not yet...I have not intentions on going back to that same spot so I'm not too concerned about getting a quick response. There's plenty of other places I can go, but the distance from where I launch from and where the ship is, is a LONG haul...

I’d consider replying with “Are you asking in an official capacity, or is it a casual inquiry?”... Just to get a friendly lay of the land.
I think that is what he meant by "go ahead and set the tone". That won't start the conversation off on a friendly tone.

Reactions: dirkclod
I have 100+ acres and in the last 2 weeks, I have confronted 4 different people on my property. I think people are getting tired of being in their house from covid-19 and trying to get out. Which I understand, but.....
In all 4 cases, I started with "Hi, who are you? What are you doing?". Based on their response, two were allowed on my land in the future and the other two were kicked off with a "Stay off my property". The first two sentences of their response set the tone and I pretty much knew how I was going to respond. Not giving one's name, saying there wasn't a "No Trespassing" sign, or that "I am picking the flowers that God put here" are not good answers from the property owner's point of view. I also had 4 people ask beforehand if they could go on my property - I said yes to all of them.
You were clearly on RR property. Railroads are interesting because they have two types of visitors: folks that vandalize things/dump trash/do stupid things where someone gets hurt and rail fans that love to take photos of trains. The security folks kick the first off and often are super nice to the second. I know because I have had RR security be very nice to me in multiple states.
Think how you would feel if it were your property. Being nice to the property owner works better than being a jerk.

Bob, I do a lot of hunting and many times I stop and talk with land owners about hunting their property. The first few words out of my mouth sets the tone for the conversation and whether I will get to hunt or not. Some people just seem to sink their boat without really trying. Cop an attitude and get sent packing.

Reactions: Bob4131
Guys this has kinda got off the main topic and I might have started it with my post to the member in post 6.
That member seemed to always want to be a agitator.
Well he won’t no more.
Unless there is anything @desertvet38 wants to add to this
i think there’s not much more to add to this. I will leave this open for him to make a final comment in this or not .
then this will be closed.

Reactions: sar104
“Adults” have the responsibility to KNOW where they are, where they belong, and where they don’t belong. “Adults” are supposed to know if land is not owned by the State, is not owned by the Government, and is not owned by themselves, then it MUST be privately owned land. “Who” that private land owner happens to be is not a question - or even the business - for any trespasser to pose or even require proof of to understand they are trespassing.

It wasn't obvious to me, at first, but you are correct. If it's not public land, and not yours, then you shouldn't' be there without permission of the landowner.

Peace.

These guys were just doing their job. Also, they did not even ask your last name so it is no big deal. Being a jerk to them means that every future drone flyer they meet is a jerk. If they ask for ID and such then it is time to start asking them ID questions and other information in case this escalates. Most likely they will just tell you why you can not fly (private property) and ask you to leave. Be happy with any photos/video you have and leave. Be sure to state at some time during the encounter that you checked no-fly zones and did not see that it was a problem. Apologize and thank them for letting you know.

Ok guys the OP has not responded back and as I said in
my previous post I would leave this open so he could.
He has been on since then but before I have to delete another post I‘m closeing this .

CLOSED

Reactions: Mavic Mac
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis