DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Public vs Private Roads & Property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because of the virus. 6 feet is standard but I like 10 feet safer. I always check out the area where I’m flying at if I know that it’s safe and it’s legal to be there when somebody comes up to me and starts asking me questions first thing I ask them what are you doing here. Don’t volunteer any information especially when I know that I’m not breaking any rules or any laws which I don’t. I’ve dealt with all this when I used to race RC boats. You think people harass you about drones RC boats much worse. I have even had the cops called on me. And once the cops got there they told me I was doing nothing wrong to keep doing what I’m doing. They liked it so much they sat there and watched me do it. As long as I know I’m in the right I don’t worry about nothing that’s the first thing making sure I’m in the right. Too many weirdos in this world that like to start trouble I’d like to cut it off before it starts. Worked all these years. Will have to say I have never been hassled at all about my drone. People just have a real hard on for drones I don’t know why people need to mind their own business as long as you were not doing anything wrong they have nothing to worry about.

Yes because of the virus. 6 feet is standard but I like 10 feet safer. I always check out the area where I’m flying at if I know that it’s safe and it’s legal to be there when somebody comes up to me and starts asking me questions first thing I ask them what are you doing here. Don’t volunteer any information especially when I know that I’m not breaking any rules or any laws which I don’t. I’ve dealt with all this when I used to race RC boats. You think people harass you about drones RC boats much worse. I have even had the cops called on me. And once the cops got there they told me I was doing nothing wrong to keep doing what I’m doing. They liked it so much they sat there and watched me do it. As long as I know I’m in the right I don’t worry about nothing that’s the first thing making sure I’m in the right. Too many weirdos in this world that like to start trouble I’d like to cut it off before it starts. Worked all these years.
Yeah, I just had a brain fart about the social distancing rule... That's cool that LE showed an interest in your RC boat!! ??

Sorry if I come off a little abrasive. But if people would learn to mind their own business the world will be a whole lot better off especially with things going on the way they are now there’s other things to be worried about beside somebody flying your drone. But then again people got nothing else better to do.

If the road is truly privately owned, they would have the right to ask you to move along. You did the right thing by giving them the benefit of the doubt and not being confrontational. Part of their issue may have been as simple as they didn't want you parking on that road. Would you be able to launch from another location off site and fly in to get the video you want? You would be a lot less conspicuous and their jurisdiction would not be as clear if you're not physically on their property.

Reactions: Lbesing
I had an incident similar to this.
I has flying around a stone circle on National Trust land and was informed they don't allow drones on NT property, I simply apologised and landed stating I thought I was on National Park land where flying is allowed so he was happy with that, whether the person who approached me was official or not it turns out he was correct and I was in the wrong – no drones on National Trust land.

Reactions: desertvet38
According to Hillsborough County Property Appraiser that area where you parked is owned by CSX Transportation so I'm guessing as **** as they are they don't want anyone parking or doing anything near their tracks

Reactions: desertvet38
Not having ever been there in person and looking at your picture and indicated route it looks like you pulled in alongside the tracks on the dirt, two track road Maintenance of Way for the train tracks. Yes, from looking at the area on Google Earth there is no signage that indicates it is a private road, conversely there is no street name sign indicating it may be a public road.

It sounds like everybody involved acted within reason and without hostilities or rudeness. You obtained the footage you wanted, you complied with their request to leave, they did what they had to do and the day end happy.

One suggestion: If you want/need to fly in that area again it may be worthwhile to contact the railroad, identify yourself, explain what your intentions are (to film the ships, not the trains or plant) and ask if they offer some type of visitor pass that you could display while on the property. Don’t be upset if permission is denied. If it is given don’t be surprised if they require you to wear safety equipment, i.e. hardhat & safety glasses. So many industrial complexes require them. For the minimal dollars they cost I own my own hardhat and safety glasses. It may sound foolish or be a PIA but you’re on their turf so you have to play by their rules.

[

i think you are just looking to start trouble with your attitude.
There are ways to get along with almost all without a attitude .You get further in most cases just talking nicely
or trying to.
So If a cop or any other person comes to your house and says "i just want to come in and have a look around" you should not be a "trouble maker and just let them in". Wise up. There are laws in this country and the first set comes from the Constitution. I guess what you are trying to say is "Papers Please". It is people that make comments like "you are just looking to start trouble with your attitude" that is the biggest problem in this country.
Get into that shower and don't make trouble! Drones are the smallest of our problems these days.

Not having ever been there in person and looking at your picture and indicated route it looks like you pulled in alongside the tracks on the dirt, two track road Maintenance of Way for the train tracks. Yes, from looking at the area on Google Earth there is no signage that indicates it is a private road, conversely there is no street name sign indicating it may be a public road.

It sounds like everybody involved acted within reason and without hostilities or rudeness. You obtained the footage you wanted, you complied with their request to leave, they did what they had to do and the day end happy.

One suggestion: If you want/need to fly in that area again it may be worthwhile to contact the railroad, identify yourself, explain what your intentions are (to film the ships, not the trains or plant) and ask if they offer some type of visitor pass that you could display while on the property. Don’t be upset if permission is denied. If it is given don’t be surprised if they require you to wear safety equipment, i.e. hardhat & safety glasses. So many industrial complexes require them. For the minimal dollars they cost I own my own hardhat and safety glasses. It may sound foolish or be a PIA but you’re on their turf so you have to play by their rules.
Was this a private water way or a public water water way? If a person pulls over on a frontage road to an interstate highway and videos the traffic is that illegal? Does the drone operator have to get permission to video a public highway? That was in effect what this man was doing. If I am not wrong he was taking video of a vessel on a public waterway. Now if the waterway was a private lake or body of water then their "might" be a question IMHO.
I wonder how many news organizations ask permission to fly their drones or take footage of private facilities or roads or lakes and rivers. I will put my money on NONE. No the news agencies are not special they have no special privileges. There are courticies allow them but they are not special. Imagine what news can be gathered when you must ask a bureaucrat for permission. That would take months and how would you vet such a person? We are well on our way to having to file a flight plan for every drone flight. I say fight back. Resist, and subscribe to the philosophy that it is better to ask forgivenss than to ask permission.

Yes, always be polite & courteous to people - why wouldn’t anyone want to be? But the root of this question is really a matter of perspective.

I’m going to assume the responses given thus far come from people who do NOT own private roads, rural lands, or tracts of private property. As someone who does - and as a country boy who was raised to respect private land ownership - I see this matter differently.

It is not required by me to post “private road” signs on any of the roads I own to maintain the road’s privacy status. It is not required by me to post “no trespassing” signs along the perimeter of the 50 private, wooded acres where I built my home to keep trespassers off of my land. It is not required of me to erect eyesore signs stating, “Private Beach” on my beaches, or doing anything to denote what is mine. At least not to ADULTS. Children...well, children are different. They NEED to be taught to respect what belongs to another. Adults are supposed to have already learned that lesson.

“Adults” have the responsibility to KNOW where they are, where they belong, and where they don’t belong. “Adults” are supposed to know if land is not owned by the State, is not owned by the Government, and is not owned by themselves, then it MUST be privately owned land. “Who” that private land owner happens to be is not a question - or even the business - for any trespasser to pose or even require proof of to understand they are trespassing.

This is basic stuff. This is not rocket science. And unless you truly would have NO problem with some stranger parking his car in your driveway, or a stranger going onto your yard to fly his drone from your land without your permission, doing anything else a stranger chooses to do on your property, or if you think you would actually enjoy having to PROVE you own your land, then this matter is not even up for debate.

I say this as a private landowner as well as a Native American, who cherishes his land ownership and who protects it. I’ve told more than one trespasser upon my lands, “Just because my yard is a lot bigger than yours does not mean my rights to privacy are smaller. The days of “discovering” and “exploring” other people’s land ended hundreds of years ago.”

Was this a private water way or a public water water way? If a person pulls over on a frontage road to an interstate highway and videos the traffic is that illegal? Does the drone operator have to get permission to video a public highway? That was in effect what this man was doing. If I am not wrong he was taking video of a vessel on a public waterway. Now if the waterway was a private lake or body of water then their "might" be a question IMHO.
I wonder how many news organizations ask permission to fly their drones or take footage of private facilities or roads or lakes and rivers. I will put my money on NONE. No the news agencies are not special they have no special privileges. There are courticies allow them but they are not special. Imagine what news can be gathered when you must ask a bureaucrat for permission. That would take months and how would you vet such a person? We are well on our way to having to file a flight plan for every drone flight. I say fight back. Resist, and subscribe to the philosophy that it is better to ask forgivenss than to ask permission.
Here's a better screenshot of where he was,
hisScreen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.57.43 AM.png what i just pulled up
Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.55.07 AM.png

It is not required by me to post “private road” signs on any of the roads I own to maintain the road’s privacy status. It is not required by me to post “no trespassing” signs along the perimeter of the 50 private, wooded acres where I built my home to keep trespassers off of my land.

Here in MS. all land is posted and does not have to have signs. If you don't have written permission from
the land owner then you could be cited for trespassing.

So If a cop or any other person comes to your house and says "i just want to come in and have a look around" you should not be a "trouble maker and just let them in". Wise up. There are laws in this country and the first set comes from the Constitution. I guess what you are trying to say is "Papers Please". It is people that make comments like "you are just looking to start trouble with your attitude" that is the biggest problem in this country.
Get into that shower and don't make trouble! Drones are the smallest of our problems these days.
Sorry missed your post.
Your scenario isn't the issue here and telling me to.. wise up..is not a wise remark to make to me.
Ask the member i quoted. I will wait for him to reply to you. :)

The question wasn't his taking video of the waterway - the question was where he was parked. If you look at his photo and the route he indicated he took and then go to Google Earth it appears he was using the railroad's M.O.W.
As I stated in my original post I see no signage to Keep Out or No Trespassing. Conversely there is no indication this a public road.
railway.jpg

Reactions: jagraphics
Can't you check GSI maps to fine public and private lands? Look at their survey maps should tell you.

The Access rd to that CSX runs along the side of that track and would find it highly unlikely it's a public
truway. And yes unless bad mistaken and if i am i'm sure i will be corrected all Railroad property is private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin