DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quantum Leap in Battery Duration for Drones?

Instead of looking at this from the viewpoint of a battery of the current size with triple the capacity, look at it as a battery of 1/3 third the size with the existing capacity. When you are trying to keep a drone below 250g, that's a decent amount of weight to get rid of.
Also important, at what price?

Reactions: Eagle928
This type of innovative breakthrough will happen in space first. Keep an eye on NASA and/or JPL . . . if they have it or its (inadvertently) leaked out in a random interview; it means NASA has it and will be selling the patent to the highest bidder . . . it's how we've gotten microwaves, digital watches, scanners, better imaging units, etc. A $25B government budget is not enough money to do what they do 🫤.

This type of innovative breakthrough will happen in space first. Keep an eye on NASA and/or JPL . . . if they have it or its (inadvertently) leaked out in a random interview; it means NASA has it and will be selling the patent to the highest bidder . . . it's how we've gotten microwaves, digital watches, scanners, better imaging units, etc. A $25B government budget is not enough money to do what they do 🫤.
I think you are more likely going to see the innovations coming from the EV market, as opposed to NASA/JPL. There's more at stake for the commercial sector.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Yahoo News published an article today describing a major technological breakthrough in Electronic Vehicle battery design that has been accomplished by the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago, whose innovative Lithium Air battery concept has TRIPLED the charge duration of Electronic Vehicle batteries from 200 watt-hours per kilo typical of current Lithium-ion battery design, to 657 watt-hours per kilo battery charge rating achieved with the ground-breaking Lithium Air battery concept.

Furthermore, the scientists who achieved this breakthrough have expressed a high level of confidence that a whopping 1,200 watt-hours per kilo battery rating will be well within the realm of possibility very soon. which of course equates to a SIX-FOLD increment in battery duration across the board in all realms of human technological endeavor INCLUDING drone technology, without question.

The coming EV batteries will sweep away fossil fuel transport, with or without net zero

For drone pilots and indeed the entire world, this revolutionary new development in battery tech is of monumental significance. In less than 5 years it is now safe to predict that commercial and hobby-grade drones will become available with batteries capable of sustaining flight for several HOURS, which will obviously call for drone motors to be redesigned in order to become capable of operating for such long duration flights without overheating. This development of Lithium-Air batteries is a MAJOR milestone for a human civilization that is bound to completely redefine the very basis upon which our planet utilizes and stores electrical power.

So there you have it, fellow armchair aviators, the long-awaited battery duration breakthrough HAS now been achieved. What a time to be alive. Big changes are inbound at this time, and the monumental impact of this evolutionary step in scientific advancement simply cannot be overstated.
Break throughs yes but hey big ones not so much.
Battery tech moves forwards incrementally so yes they get a little better over time all the time but big jumps not so much as there's no free lunch. Even incrementally we're moving forwards , I'll be trading my Harley on an E-Harley as soon as the one I want lands here . but I know it won't be all an e-Harley can be just yet .
If this break though comes to market that'll be awesome but not yet I believe.

Break throughs yes but hey big ones not so much.
Battery tech moves forwards incrementally so yes they get a little better over time all the time but big jumps not so much as there's no free lunch. Even incrementally we're moving forwards , I'll be trading my Harley on an E-Harley as soon as the one I want lands here . but I know it won't be all an e-Harley can be just yet .
If this break though comes to market that'll be awesome but not yet I believe.
Ev anything right now is the way backwards. I'm keeping my gas car. Screw the ev cars, they don't pollute any less and primarily a problem only on california.

Ev anything right now is the way backwards. I'm keeping my gas car. Screw the ev cars, they don't pollute any less and primarily a problem only on california.
While you have to consider the emissions for the source of the electricity used by EVs, when you factor everything in (cradle-to-grave or wells-to-wheels), EVs cause less pollution than ICE vehicles. There are reasons for and against owning an EV, but they are responsible for less pollution.

Source: US Dept of Energy: Emissions from Electric Vehicles

I think you are more likely going to see the innovations coming from the EV market, as opposed to NASA/JPL. There's more at stake for the commercial sector.
Great point . . . much more competition at the EV level. NASA is only competing with the other space agencies . . . point taken and received!

• Wow
Reactions: astrohip
....hydrogen would be the far better way to go and it's similar to gasoline in how you refill the tank. Fill up and go vs sit and wait for an hour....
Agreed, Hydrogen would be a far better choice. And hopefully, we get more of that choice one day. Amazon made that choice with Plug Power. Once some entity, Amazon or State of California, goes in on Hydrogen; that provides the impetus for car makes to invest in more models than can run on electricity generated by Hydrogen. Honda has been doing this for years and will have a CR-V model in 2024 that is powered by Hydrogen.

Agreed, Hydrogen would be a far better choice. And hopefully, we get more of that choice one day. Amazon made that choice with Plug Power. Once some entity, Amazon or State of California, goes in on Hydrogen; that provides the impetus for car makes to invest in more models than can run on electricity generated by Hydrogen. Honda has been doing this for years and will have a CR-V model in 2024 that is powered by Hydrogen.
I've seen massive amounts of hydrogen tech , and all of it is impressive .
Now there's Green Steel production and in itself green Hydrogen production as well as green concrete it's all a fantastic start but as the UN pointed out this week. We better get a wriggle on or the real runaway climate disasters are just around the corner . Hydrogen needs to get itself in to production ASAP.
I'm a farmer my father as was his and his before that was a farmer, climate change is upon us , we're hotter and either drier each year or just flooded out of existence , season after season we see and chart the changes and they're getting more extreme .There's not a year now that goes by that our seasons are the normal averages , we're either in drought or we're underwater , never a year that stays within the known median. The cost of Climate mitigation is expanding exponentially and I know as my family has charted it for 4 generations and it's getting worse.

Last edited:
I've seen massive amounts of hydrogen tech , and all of it is impressive .
Now there's Green Steel production and in itself green Hydrogen production as well as green concrete it's all a fantastic start but as the UN pointed out this week. We better get a wriggle on or the real runaway climate disasters are just around the corner . Hydrogen needs to get itself in to production ASAP.
I'm a farmer my father as was his and his before that was a farmer, climate change is upon us , we're hotter and either drier each year or just flooded out of existence , season after season we see and chart the changes and they're getting more extreme .The cost of Climate mitigation is expanding exponentially, I know as my family has charted it for 4 generations and it's getting worse.
I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact you're right for your area. The climate has changed and it will always have long periods of lull where it stays the same then periods of change. Looking back on our known history of climate change from when the continents were connected till now, there have been long ice ages, short ice ages, and heat ages. There's a lot of human activity that goes along with the hot and cold periods. Humans get real busy during the hot periods but not so much during the cold periods which is understandable.

There's not much we puny humans can do to change the climate one way or the other except for lowering our population numbers like certain elites want. Climate change has been used to manipulate large swaths of people many times. This time is no different.

That big yellow/orange ball in the sky has far more control over our climate than we do. Then there's the natural fires and volcanic activity.

I do look forward to a new type of battery in the future. Imagine a tiny pin sized dot of uranium encased in the current size battery cases that will fly for hours. Heck, maybe indefinitely.
Or a new type of battery that is far more energy dense at a fraction of the cost of lithium batteries. It'll happen and it will be kinder to the planet.

On Climate ,If you were right I'd agree with you !

Yahoo News published an article today describing a major technological breakthrough in Electronic Vehicle battery design that has been accomplished by the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago, whose innovative Lithium Air battery concept has TRIPLED the charge duration of Electronic Vehicle batteries from 200 watt-hours per kilo typical of current Lithium-ion battery design, to 657 watt-hours per kilo battery charge rating achieved with the ground-breaking Lithium Air battery concept.

Furthermore, the scientists who achieved this breakthrough have expressed a high level of confidence that a whopping 1,200 watt-hours per kilo battery rating will be well within the realm of possibility very soon. which of course equates to a SIX-FOLD increment in battery duration across the board in all realms of human technological endeavor INCLUDING drone technology, without question.

The coming EV batteries will sweep away fossil fuel transport, with or without net zero

For drone pilots and indeed the entire world, this revolutionary new development in battery tech is of monumental significance. In less than 5 years it is now safe to predict that commercial and hobby-grade drones will become available with batteries capable of sustaining flight for several HOURS, which will obviously call for drone motors to be redesigned in order to become capable of operating for such long duration flights without overheating. This development of Lithium-Air batteries is a MAJOR milestone for a human civilization that is bound to completely redefine the very basis upon which our planet utilizes and stores electrical power.

So there you have it, fellow armchair aviators, the long-awaited battery duration breakthrough HAS now been achieved. What a time to be alive. Big changes are inbound at this time, and the monumental impact of this evolutionary step in scientific advancement simply cannot be overstated.

The kind of language you used in that post immediately set off my hyperbole alarm.

Triggered much !
Anyways back to battery tech.
If I had a dollar for every article that I've seen about some new battery tech in the last year alone, I'd have at least $52. So far none of them have gone into production.

We'll see if Tesla's new tech shows promise. Until the problem with fires spontaneous combusting is solved, EV's are not a viable option. Batteries that are safe, long lasting (20 years), quick charging, and very affordable will need to be invented before EV's are a viable option.

Reactions: badcooky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown