DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about loosing connection

Trippp

Reactions
Will the drone retain max altitude, max distance, etc that are set up for the flight if the connection is lost between controller and the drone?

NO.
It will follow the failsafe behaviour as set via the Failsafe options in the app. You need to read the relevant section in the manual for the drone. There is a possible qualification to that if the drone is above RTH height when the disconnection occurrs but the failsafe behaviour varies from model to model hence your needing to read the relevant manual.

You have three main options for lost signal: Land - Hover - Return to home.

If you select return to home you'll need to set the return to home parameters or height to return home, you'll want to set this for 50 feet higher than the trees in your flying area.

There is also another return to home feature in the battery section that enables the drone to fly home based on your remaining charge level. I generally turn off that feature.

Go though all your menus step by step on the App. Do not change anything you don't understand, you'll find these return to home menu items.

Mike

Reactions: Richard R
I would be cautious about turning off the RTH based on remaining charge level. Recently I had a total disconnect about 1/2 mile from home with a 4 month old M2P and Smart Controller. The drone hovered in place for about 15 minutes until the battery RTH feature cut in and then the drone safely returned. If that feature would have been off I am unsure of the results. I had drone and controller checked by DJI and they could find nothing wrong. Good luck--Skydriver

I would be cautious about turning off the RTH based on remaining charge level. Recently I had a total disconnect about 1/2 mile from home with a 4 month old M2P and Smart Controller. The drone hovered in place for about 15 minutes until the battery RTH feature cut in and then the drone safely returned. If that feature would have been off I am unsure of the results. I had drone and controller checked by DJI and they could find nothing wrong. Good luck--Skydriver
Doesn't the MP2 have Failsafe RTH after total disconnection from the TR? It should have returned home immediately after certain amount of time (a few seconds depending on the drone) instead of hovering for 15 min.

Doesn't the MP2 have Failsafe RTH after total disconnection from the TR? It should have returned home immediately after certain amount of time (a few seconds depending on the drone) instead of hovering for 15 min.
It did what I described and DJI confirmed that was to be expected. If you have any further info please advise.

Will the drone retain max altitude, max distance, etc that are set up for the flight if the connection is lost between controller and the drone?
Do you mean the actual RC inputs are ignored or the video feed drops?

Thanks. I see this is for a Zoom model, my model is not zoom but the manual says the same thing regarding Failsafe RTH. However, this is all confusing. If the drone looses connection with the controller (NOT totally but say it just gets a low signal and you lose video) then a SMART RTH can be used. In my case there was a total disconnect. Only a non moving B and W video screen image and all buttons greyed out. No control-- no way to initiate RTH. According to the manual, it should have (via Falisafe RTH) started home almost immediately, but did not. After about 5 minutes, I left to go to the location where the drone was when it disconnected from the controller. I was looking for it when my wife called to say the drone had returned and landed safely. The battery was almost depleted. I flew it several times after this with no problems, but DJI insisted I send it to them to be checked. They found nothing wrong and it is on its way back to me.
Here is an interesting point but not an answer: "If the remote control signal is re-established within 60 seconds of Failsafe RTH being activated, the aircraft hovers at its present location for 10 seconds and waits for pilot commands." In this case NO signal was reestablished so as per programming the drone then RETRACED its course for 60 seconds (away from home base), and then flew in a straight line home. "If the remote control signal is still lost 60 seconds after activating Failsafe RTH,( it was) the aircraft stops retracing its original flight route and flies to Home Point in a straight line." So maybe the drone flew AWAY from home for 60 seconds and then flew STRAIGHT LINE back home. But there was about 65% power left when the disconnect occurred so an extra 2 minutes or so of flight should not have depleted the batteries and it should have returned to home within 5 minutes, at most. So, this analysis is not really an answer.
Thanks for your interest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman