Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Randalstown plaza, Randalstown Maryland

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
screen_58e8b10ed0faccd4_1631388530581.jpg
This is the shot I got the the day the whole cop situation threw down. My gimbal wasn't broken then.

Looking at this photo, I never really understood why it looked like I threw my phone in the air as it was taking a photo. It's not really the 4k quality I expected from my drone.

I didn't really care. I was just thankful I had it.

This was also the time my drone wasn't a straight up flying lemon with propellers.

If you feel like you have “a flying lemon”, probably shouldn’t be flying it and have a problem that you don’t want to deal with.

If you feel like you have “a flying lemon”, probably shouldn’t be flying it and have a problem that you don’t want to deal with.
H-How would you rate the shot?

It's a low resolution thumbnail from the phone, not the full quality picture from the aircraft's card.
So I need an sd card?

• Wow
Reactions: Prop Wash
The pic: Not bad of a shot - As pointed out, it is lower resolution.

SD Card? Short answer is YES! If you want to get the high resolution versions of the pics / vids, you'll need one in the drone. All the high res stuff gets recorded there. Anything on your phone is a 'backup,' but in a lower resolution. If your computer does not have a card reader slot, you'll also need to get a card reader adapter that plugs into a USB port. (I have one so I can read my SD card).

So I need an sd card?

No you need a microSD card, just to be sure you don't order the wrong thing.
It has to be of quality like the one in post 8 link.
Just check the aircraft to see if there is one in there, as suggested by @Tufargon and myself above.

You might have some better quality shots already on hand.

So I need an sd card?
It is not an absolute MUST but it is a GREAT benefit for many reasons, some of which are mentioned in the posts above. There might be some memory built into the drone but if there is it is likley to be 'relatively small' and I have yet to find anything that says there is or is not. Maybe someone here can?

Doc, a straight forward question, have you read the manual?
The maximum card capacity is given in the manual, link below, it is now getting towards the small sized end of what is available. The manual also gives the speed requirements too but faster than the minimum will probably not hurt.

If I remember correctly you have a Mavic Pro so here is the link to the manual for that drone. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf

It can be found on Mavic Pro - Download Center - DJI
some of the other manuals may be of use to you too.

With regards to a card, CHECK any card you buy with the likes of H2testw for capacity at least BEFORE you use it. https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Personally with a 'small' card I ran the recovery software "Zar X" first, not to recover anything on the card but because during its scanning it produces a map of the card, which may or may not show up bad sectors in a memory card, but it's reassuring if nothing else. You need to watch the map closely toward the end of the 'first/discovery' scan because the map disappears as soon as the first/discovey scan is complete.
Then I would run H2testw on the card.
You will need to google Zar X for yourself.
However for bigger cards it becomes too time consuming, I recollect that with my computer a full H2testw check takes around 2 hours for a 128Gb and yes I even test new cards from reputable sellers.

I have bought fake cards in the past and H2testw did prooduce a warning but I can not remember if I ran Zar X on them. I can't remember if I have seen Zar X find bad sectors on a card.
There are other testers "out there" and there are some that can be used on a phone but you will have to look for those yourself if you want them.
There are all too many fake cards "out there" that are small capacity cards doctored (no pun intended) to report larger sizes. Be wary of prices being "too good to be true", they likely are.

PS for this post I am testing a new Samsung 32G, probably U1 card with Zar X. At he moment it's at 89% of the first/discovery scan and has taken 34 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Droniac
Fair enough

Yeah, I'm not sure internal memory is really needed.
I suppose if people are taking their microSD out to download video / photos, and sometimes forget to put them back in, a little internal memory could be handy after a long drive to fly and a doh ! moment.
I carry mostly 64gb in my flight backpack, 3 or 4 minimum, and always one in the M1P, rarely need to change as I don't shoot 4k.

Be interesting if young Doc finds one in his aircraft.

Reactions: Droniac
Yeah, I'm not sure internal memory is really needed.
I suppose if people are taking their microSD out to download video / photos, and sometimes forget to put them back in, a little internal memory could be handy after a long drive to fly and a doh ! moment.
I carry mostly 64gb in my flight backpack, 3 or 4 minimum, and always one in the M1P, rarely need to change as I don't shoot 4k.

Be interesting if young Doc finds one in his aircraft.
Do you have any spare gimbal clamps?

Only still use the original that came with mine, never been tempted by the aftermarket combo ones.
So no, nothing spare. sorry.

Did yours fall off while in flight ??
Yup. Never to be seen again..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh