DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Random Mavic Prop Question

RC5728

Reactions
Do you have to actually open the props before starting up a flight with the Mavic?

In other words, do the props have to be "locked" into position according to the little lock diagram you see on each prop?

I have always opened them up all the way and then locked them like that, but I don't want to keep wasting time doing that if it's not actually necessary.

you want your props to be securely locked to the motors.
While it is not necessary to fold them open, I think it would impose less stress to the bearings if they are started folded out.
Actually the Mavic does a few spins of the motors to unfold them before starting fully up.

I just let em spin open. Really never gave it any thought.

Reactions: Steve1966
I leave them closed, they will allign themselves perfectly when starting up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve1966
If you don't unfold them, they will be out of balance for the first few rotations and cause extra wear on the motors and bearings. Maybe not enough to make a difference in lifespan, but who knows? I always unfold mine before startup.

If you don't unfold them, they will be out of balance for the first few rotations and cause extra wear on the motors and bearings. Maybe not enough to make a difference in lifespan, but who knows? I always unfold mine before startup.
And how do you know this.
Just asking.

It seems like an assumption that it will actually cause significant wear and tear though.

I think I may skip opening them by hand from now on, since it's quicker with the other method.

I remember wondering about this then reading somewhere that it's recommended in the manual to unfold them. I'm not going to check now but I'm pretty sure I checked and it was there.

They don't need to be carefully unfolded straight or anything, just quickly flicked open. As someone else said a completely out of balance prop at startup probably isn't great for the motors bearings.

@Boris please let us know what you find out.

In the past I had always unfolded them completely.

Meaning I actually locked them into position according to the little "lock" diagrams on the props.

But now I'm thinking it's probably unnecessary to go to such great lengths.

It seems like an assumption that it will actually cause significant wear and tear though.
correct. The significance is an assumption (which you just added to the topic).
The added stress is a fact.
If I have a chance to possibly increase the lifetime of the bearings with just a few simple steps I will continue unfolding them before flight.

Feel free to do whichever way you want yourselves. As stated both works fine.

So has anyone else been folding them open the way the little lock diagrams show on the props?

Because I'm looking at stock DJI photos for the Mavic and it looks like they always show the props opened straight, NOT folded open.

Was I being OCD?

Opening them straight is way easier than taking the time to fold open each individual prop......

I will use a slow motion camera string and spin them up in both conditions
I assume they will snap around either way

Sorry. Don't get your question.
This way is folded:
2e7ba200d7a675a136794be8362dceb4.jpg

And this way is open:
e2318f60381e51a0414aa9d34e3aaa4b.jpg

Can't think of anything else right now...

Egika if you look closely there are little lock pictures on the props.

I was following those in the past.

"Locking" the props open, or so I assumed. But I may have been wrong.

Egika if you look closely there are little lock pictures on the props.

I was following those in the past.

"Locking" the props open, or so I assumed. But I may have been wrong.

The little pictograms are only referring to locking the whole prop assembly into place on the motors. You do that only once when installing the props. They have nothing to do with the regular flight and storage position.

How do you upload video to this I can do pic but vids say network error

How do you upload video to this I can do pic but vids say network error
I took 2 vids about 7 seconds each at 1/8 speed showing the 2 open start and a closed start
Balance is way out on closed start and open is very smooth
But I can't figure out how to upload them

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31