DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Random Mavic Prop Question

I use Vimeo Steve others use you tube .

The little pictograms are only referring to locking the whole prop assembly into place on the motors. You do that only once when installing the props. They have nothing to do with the regular flight and storage position.
Ah nice to know.

I was being overly OCD then.

But I agree, it's probably good to at least open the props before takeoff.

I'll never be convinced the start up torque and lateral forces would be more than having the quad flying through the air at 40mph and hitting the air brake.

I have been unfolding the props before startup after noticing that leaving them folded causes the Mavic to jump and rotate slightly. The jump just looks funky. Probably not a damaging event, but how much time does it take to unfold first?

I have always unfolded the props; just the CDO in me.

Reactions: Mavicsailor
I'm a little paranoid about where I store all my backup props - I don't like them being squished anywhere in my bag where they might be held in a bent position for a long period of time ; afraid it might eventually sorta warp them that way over time, and affect the balance of the mavic later - probably a little OCD of me.

The little pictograms are only referring to locking the whole prop assembly into place on the motors. You do that only once when installing the props. They have nothing to do with the regular flight and storage position.

Item 2 specifically says " Unfold the propeller blades"

I'll never be convinced the start up torque and lateral forces would be more than having the quad flying through the air at 40mph and hitting the air brake.
Being convinced is not the point here. The point is that unfolding the props manually takes away a potential stress that is avoidable. Anyway you should check your props for damage before flying and unfolding them seems to be a good idea when checking.

Professional airplanes pilots have checklists. These lists are boring and repetitive but they are performed on each flight just to be sure! A Mavic is a reliable piece of kit but it can fail. Checking things before a flight is therefore a good idea. 99 times out of a 100 nothing will be amiss. But the one time you find something before flight and you can fix it, it might prevent you from causing injury and/or damage from a 3 pound brick tumbling out of the sky.

So yes the physics say 'no worries' but common sense says 'prevent problems'!

Sorry about double post it was my very first time doing a video for you tube and for uploading video to here

Has anyone experienced a Mavic prop failure that was not caused by either a collision or incorrect attachment?
I have yet to read of such an event.
Just under 600 flights on original props and never unfolded them by hand, nor has my Mavic ever failed the diagnostic test on startup. Do whatever you are comfortable with, but from experience I have found leaving them unfolded has not caused any issues for me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Being convinced is not the point here. The point is that unfolding the props manually takes away a potential stress that is avoidable. Anyway you should check your props for damage before flying and unfolding them seems to be a good idea when checking.

Professional airplanes pilots have checklists. These lists are boring and repetitive but they are performed on each flight just to be sure! A Mavic is a reliable piece of kit but it can fail. Checking things before a flight is therefore a good idea. 99 times out of a 100 nothing will be amiss. But the one time you find something before flight and you can fix it, it might prevent you from causing injury and/or damage from a 3 pound brick tumbling out of the sky.

So yes the physics say 'no worries' but common sense says 'prevent problems'!

I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't unfold them. I do it always. My only issue was with the assertion it could damage bearings is all. Happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon