DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Disconnects

Shoruk3n

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm about to send in my MP for frequent disconnects from the RC. Before doing so though I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on what is going on. Briefly, it seems to disconnect when it is fairly close, within 0-100 feet or so, at multiple locations. This is a complete disconnect from the RC, with no control over the MP at all, not just a loss of video feed/disconnect from app. It happens using 3 different devices in airplane (android phone/tablet, iphone) and both ports on the RC. I've tried every firmware from like .400 to current, same issue. Here's the most recent: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I'm scared to fly at this point, which is a pretty big bummer. Any ideas guys?

You're on the right track by sending it in. By no means is that normal behavior. I've had my Mavic since February, without a single RC disconnect.

Mine started doing this and I think I've narrowed it down to the USB cable from RC to phone being squished in that tiny grove that it goes into.
I tried switching USB cable and that has been working so far.

However, if you completely lose control between RC and Aircraft that cant be it.

make sure your rc in not in wifi mode
There is no wifi mode on the RC. If the Mavic were in wifi mode, it wouldn't connect with the RC at all. Wifi mode is for flying with just a mobile device.

Hi all,

I'm about to send in my MP for frequent disconnects from the RC. Before doing so though I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on what is going on. Briefly, it seems to disconnect when it is fairly close, within 0-100 feet or so, at multiple locations. This is a complete disconnect from the RC, with no control over the MP at all, not just a loss of video feed/disconnect from app. It happens using 3 different devices in airplane (android phone/tablet, iphone) and both ports on the RC. I've tried every firmware from like .400 to current, same issue. Here's the most recent: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I'm scared to fly at this point, which is a pretty big bummer. Any ideas guys?
So, this only happens when it's coming back to you?

Not necessarily when it's coming back, it just seems to happen when it's close. Often it will be when hovering nearby.
Is it only after it warms up (has been flying for awhile)? Do you carry anything that might emit a strong RF signal, like another cell phone (hmmm, that would probably cause disconnects at other times)?

Don't know. Sounds like you're right and need to send it in for repair/replacement. Too bad.

Sent if off yesterday, here's to hoping for a good outcome.

On another note though, has anyone had an experiences with the battery light behaving bizarrely? I have had a few strange incidents lately. Just now the lights were green as if it was charging, but it has been on the charger for hours and it wasn't flashing when I last saw it. Another time it the middle two lights were blinking on/off. Makes me wonder if this might be a battery problem.

Reactions: Rogue.Aircraft
Sent if off yesterday, here's to hoping for a good outcome.

On another note though, has anyone had an experiences with the battery light behaving bizarrely? I have had a few strange incidents lately. Just now the lights were green as if it was charging, but it has been on the charger for hours and it wasn't flashing when I last saw it. Another time it the middle two lights were blinking on/off. Makes me wonder if this might be a battery problem.

That sounds like it might be flashing an error code. I'd google it

Update for anyone interested: DJI has replaced the MP unit. I still have the original RC, and after 2 brief flights the issue appears resolved. Hopefully the problem lies with the old MP and not the RC. Another interesting bit is that on the repair invoice, DJI indicated that they replaced the gimbal unit due to some unspecified fault, but there was nothing about replacing the entire aircraft.

Out it curiosity, does anyone get many minor signal errors while flying? I'm inclined to think some small amount is expected, but the question is how much. My most recent flight did have an occurrence, and interestingly at the point the elevation was reported as a negative value. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Anyhow, hope this helps someone along the line.

Update for anyone interested: DJI has replaced the MP unit. I still have the original RC, and after 2 brief flights the issue appears resolved. Hopefully the problem lies with the old MP and not the RC. Another interesting bit is that on the repair invoice, DJI indicated that they replaced the gimbal unit due to some unspecified fault, but there was nothing about replacing the entire aircraft.

Out it curiosity, does anyone get many minor signal errors while flying? I'm inclined to think some small amount is expected, but the question is how much. My most recent flight did have an occurrence, and interestingly at the point the elevation was reported as a negative value. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Anyhow, hope this helps someone along the line.
I don't see any interference notifications on your AirData logs, but those messages are a no-brainer when viewing the map. You are in the middle of a neighborhood. You can bet that 99.99% of the houses around you are running WiFi routers. The further you fly, the weaker your signal becomes (duh), but those wifi signals remain strong as they are coming from every house along your route. Wifi operates at the same basic 2.4GHz frequency that the Mavic uses. Take it out to the middle of nowhere and see if you get a clean flight.

I don't see any interference notifications on your AirData logs, but those messages are a no-brainer when viewing the map. You are in the middle of a neighborhood. You can bet that 99.99% of the houses around you are running WiFi routers. The further you fly, the weaker your signal becomes (duh), but those wifi signals remain strong as they are coming from every house along your route. Wifi operates at the same basic 2.4GHz frequency that the Mavic uses. Take it out to the middle of nowhere and see if you get a clean flight.

Yeah I'm aware of all the wifi in the neighborhood, there's a lot. However the behavior consistently occurred at every locale where I would fly, some had no wifi whatsoever. Still got disconnects. Happy to report no problems as of yet with the replacement MP though!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke