DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC maneuvering from inside a car..with the aircon on.

I did this flight from inside my car.

0706229ae2a312b4237a01ea44a4a6ef.jpg

And this one:

d64d5e97614ee4f83c1534ea26f3b63c.jpg

Tacoma pickup truck, nothing special.

-1,715 feet! That's wild.

I've flown from inside my vehicle as well. I flew 2 miles away in the desert and noticed no issues with the compass.

O
I flew from inside my car too. The signal is pretty strong. I didn't fly for miles. I just wish the compass wouldn't be affected by the metal of my car otherwise I'd launch it from my sunroof. :)

It's also a great way from drawing attention to yourself. ;)

Oh yes, I agree especially re the attention one gets when flying.

I understand there could be compass issues when we "calibrate" near metal objects. Not sure though, during landings and launch.

Fly in comfort, and if it goes down in an unscheduled landing, no need to get out. You can just login to Amazon and order a new one.

I just wish the compass wouldn't be affected by the metal of my car otherwise I'd launch it from the sunroof

You are exactly right in this. I usually launch from the roof of my pickup and it gets pissed when I do that. All kinds of compass errors and stuff. Once I get in the air it all clears up and I'm fine for the flight.

Reactions: Balko
I've done it many times to keep from drawing attention. I'm sure it would reduce the range but I was always flying in the immediate area.

I flew from inside my car too. The signal is pretty strong. I didn't fly for miles. I just wish the compass wouldn't be affected by the metal of my car otherwise I'd launch it from my sunroof. :)

It's also a great way from drawing attention to yourself. ;)

I have landed on the cover of my truck bed. I thought about launching from it too, but quickly dismissed the idea when I thought about all the metal interference.

Last edited:
Yep. Here in sunny FL, when it's not hurricane-ing, the sun, glare, and bugs are absolutely stupid in the non beach areas where I do most of my flying.

It simply makes sense to set up, launch, then retreat into a vehicle. It's a fairly regular thing for me. When it complains about weak signal, it's no big deal to hold the RC up to the window, or hover while you turn the truck around. Life would be better if I could toss it up on the roof of my van and use that as my pad.

This shot was about 2500m out from my launch point, which was the back 40 of a major truck stop. Parked like everyone else, and launched from behind where nobody would notice it. ;)
5dea54b551ab7ad5bc87aeab8f56b298.jpg

Reactions: peros550 and Balko
First day I flew my MP it was from inside my car because of the heat with the AC on [emoji23]. Had minimal problems.

Yep. Here in sunny FL, when it's not hurricane-ing, the sun, glare, and bugs are absolutely stupid in the non beach areas where I do most of my flying.
I was buzzing around my back yard the other day and was surprised to see my Mavic coming toward me from the opposite direction from where I thought it was - then I realized it was a huge mosquito coming in for the kill. I think I'll try flying from my truck - great idea!

Reactions: MARSSIVPilot
Depends on how far you fly but I do it all the time.
Saw a vid a YouTube where the Mavic Pro was being controlled from inside the car...with the windows up and the airconditioner on.
Seems like a good idea especially during bright sunny days...but wouldn't this decrease the signal strength between RC and aircraft?

Ahaha, Nice,

What's the next step? Maneuvering from inside the house in the sofa with the TV screen and the PS4 as controller?

Virtual MP is for tomorrow in Sony next box lol
That's ridiculous ...

Except I did that once so maybe not ridiculous. Not the TV/PS4 part but the flying from inside the house kicking it on a sofa. I didn't mean to at first. I was just doing some testing indoors when I saw that I had strong GPS signals. So I took the MP to my back porch. Flew around my neighborhood (about 300 feet up and 400 feet away), then flew it back home. Less than two minutes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54