DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recalibrate before each flight?

black_magic100

Reactions
I have seen a few people say you should always calibrate the compass before each flight because it is easy to do so why not, but the manual literally says "Only calibrate the compass when prompted". So my question is... do I calibrate or not?

I have never done this in 11 months of flying my Mavic. I do check the readings each flight though.

I have seen a few people say you should always calibrate the compass before each flight because it is easy to do so why not, but the manual literally says "Only calibrate the compass when prompted". So my question is... do I calibrate or not?
There are tons of thread on this.

For the record I have never recalibrated, In close to 400 flights, across the entire eastern half of the US, from Canada to Florida.

Check other threads for the reasoning pro and con.

Last edited:
Okay, just trying to be a safe pilot. Is their a general check list that you recommend?
The best checklist for condition of your system is the startup screen.

There are other general checklists that have been posted.

Again, several threads on this one also.

In the dji forum, they suggest not to do it each time you are going to fly.
There is a possibility to make a wrong calibration, due to rocks or interference.
So, if you calibrate each fly, the chance to have a failure, grows.

Find a big open field, remove cell phones and any other item off such.
Preform a good slow perfect Compass Calibration as per the RC instructions.
Now DON'T touch it again unless asked to do it and if it asks you to do just check where you are and whats around you to make sure its something thats not affecting the compass.
A lot of proplems and flyaways are caused by to many doing compass Calibration to much to often and too FAST and ending up getting a corrupted calibration either by calibrating in a place close to something with strong magnetic influence like concrete with rebar or near magnetic rock, then when flying compass goes haywire and bingo.
On older UAVs it was standard practice, not anymore and not on the Mavic.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
A lot of proplems and flyaways are caused by to many doing compass Calibration to much to often and too FAST and ending up getting a corrupted calibration either by calibrating in a place close to something with strong magnetic influence like concrete with rebar or near magnetic rock
The calibration process should fail if it's not done properly. I've never seen or heard of someone saving a bad calibration like you're describing.

@black_magic100, check out the Compass Calibration Guide for the best information on calibrating the compass.

Reactions: Youser
You can check both compass condition to make sure they are operating correctly through the DJI GO app.

If they aren't operating correctly, surely you'd get a warning?

So is there any need to even check the condition?

I would've thought the best way to check would be to start the mavic up and let it hover a couple of metres up and see how it acts?

Never calibrated, 40 + flights, Norway and Netherlands. right from the start always accurate navigation and RTH

Only calibrated when I got it brand new 10 months ago

The only time I calibrated the compass was to learn how to do it. Haven't done it since, 180 plus flights. I do get a compass warning when sitting on the back porch surrounded by an iron fence. Just move away and the warning goes away.

when turning on my RC/GO4 app on my iDevice, it asks for a compass calibration 9 out of 10 times and I only calibrate when it the compass calibration button pops ups asking for it to be calibrated.

when turning on my RC/GO4 app on my iDevice, it asks for a compass calibration 9 out of 10 times and I only calibrate when it the compass calibration button pops ups asking for it to be calibrated.
FYI, that's just a button to calibrate the compass. It's not a prompt telling you to calibrate the compass.

Reactions: texhornsaj
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661