DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Received two new batteries today, one required an update the other didnt?

Marc Hufnagel

Reactions
Received two new batteries today; one from Apple and one from Newegg (DJI store). I updated the bird last night so the first time I powered up the bird with the original battery is updated it. Fast forward to today, the Newegg (DJI battery) didn't require an update on powerup but the one from Apple did.

Seems a bit odd as i know neither of them could possibly have the new firmware. If there a place to find the battery firmware revision? I see the controller and bird but nothing listed there for the battery.

Received two new batteries today; one from Apple and one from Newegg (DJI store). I updated the bird last night so the first time I powered up the bird with the original battery is updated it. Fast forward to today, the Newegg (DJI battery) didn't require an update on powerup but the one from Apple did.

Seems a bit odd as i know neither of them could possibly have the new firmware. If there a place to find the battery firmware revision? I see the controller and bird but nothing listed there for the battery.

Sometimes it takes a while before the app finds the update... I suggest restarting everything and see if it asks you to update. I have 3 batteries and the 3rd battery also took 2 tries before it gave me to update message..

Bought a battery from an online vendor Dec 7th, received it a few days ago. Charged it up and placed it in my Mavic and started the rc, drone and app up to update it, I get no notification that it needs to be updated. Tried this a couple more times, after shutting everything down, no notification? I connected to Assistant 2 on my PC and on my Mac and still get no notification that an update is required. All of my other batteries required an update after 1.03, why wouldn't this one?

Has any one else bought batteries recently that did not require to be updated? I would have thought that because the latest firmware came out Dec 6th and the vendor selling them to me Dec 7th, there would be no way the batteries would be updated before they left China.

Last edited:
If I have to update a battery and it does not indicate a update required, I just place the battery in the aircraft, start every thing up and go into camera view.
Then I tap on the DJI logo and the screen reverts back to the main screen where you will see a message stating inconsistent firmware found. I just move the slider to the right and the battery starts the update. After update, check the FW version by selecting the about tab in Go. If you do not see the message when reverting back to main screen from camera view, then most likely the battery is up to date.

If I have to update a battery and it does not indicate a update required, I just place the battery in the aircraft, start every thing up and go into camera view.
Then I tap on the DJI logo and the screen reverts back to the main screen where you will see a message stating inconsistent firmware found. I just move the slider to the right and the battery starts the update. After update, check the FW version by selecting the about tab in Go. If you do not see the message when reverting back to main screen from camera view, then most likely the battery is up to date.

Thanks for the info, that is what I'm doing. I don't get the inconsistent firmware message, just think it's odd that it isn't calling for it.

I'd have to assume that DJI, updated newer batteries before they shipped and earlier than when the firmware was actually released officially?

Is it possible that If there is already newer firmware available and I dont want to upgrade my mavic but I receive a new battery that needs to be upgraded so that firmware will be consistent, I just upgrade firmware of that new battery with the same firmware of the aircraft? Or no other choice I have to upgrade the mavic as well with the newer firmware first ?

Is it possible that If there is already newer firmware available and I dont want to upgrade my mavic but I receive a new battery that needs to be upgraded so that firmware will be consistent, I just upgrade firmware of that new battery with the same firmware of the aircraft? Or no other choice I have to upgrade the mavic as well with the newer firmware first ?
So far the current firmware that is on the aircraft will only update the new battery to that firmware version. Unless you update FW on the aircraft. Then you will have to match the firmware on the batteries.
That is my experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what felas is asking is... What happens if you get a new battery with a newer version firmware than what is currently installed on the drone and rc. Can the new battery's firmware be downgraded to the version presently on the drone, without having to do an upgrade and then downgrade. I wonder too if there would be an inconsistent firmware notification come up also? Good question.

So far the current firmware that is on the aircraft will only update the new battery to that firmware version. Unless you update FW on the aircraft. Then you will have to match the firmware on the batteries.
That is my experience.

Thanks Blue Bird. It's good to know I can still using the old stable fw even if I have to upgrade new battery.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what felas is asking is... What happens if you get a new battery with a newer version firmware than what is currently installed on the drone and rc. Can the new battery's firmware be downgraded to the version presently on the drone, without having to do an upgrade and then downgrade. I wonder too if there would be an inconsistent firmware notification come up also? Good question.

Damaltor, you create new advanced condition and I like to know the answer too :). Actually I was thinking when battery firmware is older than the aircraft, but DJI has come out with even newer firmware than the aircraft. So there will be 3 different firmwares. :)

Thanks Blue Bird. It's good to know I can still using the old stable fw even if I have to upgrade new battery.

Damaltor, you create new advanced condition and I like to know the answer too :). Actually I was thinking when battery firmware is older than the aircraft, but DJI has come out with even newer firmware than the aircraft. So there will be 3 different firmwares. :)
OK gotcha, my misunderstanding. I suppose though, if the battery's firmware is newer than the drone's firmware, it should still downgrade/uprade to whatever is on the drone?

OK gotcha, my misunderstanding. I suppose though, if the battery's firmware is newer than the drone's firmware, it should still downgrade/uprade to whatever is on the drone?
Yes. After the last FW update, I was not happy loosing the art mode in camera settings. So I decided to downgrade back to FW 0900. I got my Art settings back, but I also had to downgrade the batteries to that FW. You will always get the inconsistent firmware found message if all three main components do not match the same FW. (Aircraft, controller, batteries).
However, I have re upgraded back to newest FW 0300 and now use Litchi to make the changes in the camera settings.
There are other threads here on the forum about that topic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078