DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regular or RE

Neebles

Reactions
So I’m looking to buy a set of DJI goggles to use with my Mavic. I know the new RE goggles came out, and they are a bit more expensive than the originals. I really don’t care about the color, and I don’t plan on racing FPV with them (I have a dedicated set up for that). Should I stick with the original goggles, or pay for the RE edition? I guess I’m not fully aware of the differences, and if they are worth the extra cost. Thanks in advance.

So I’m looking to buy a set of DJI goggles to use with my Mavic. I know the new RE goggles came out, and they are a bit more expensive than the originals. I really don’t care about the color, and I don’t plan on racing FPV with them (I have a dedicated set up for that). Should I stick with the original goggles, or pay for the RE edition? I guess I’m not fully aware of the differences, and if they are worth the extra cost. Thanks in advance.
Hello
It you are interested in buying New dji goggles i have one and i really dont need that.

I am waiting for the re to ship in Greece so I can use them with both my drones. My mavic pro and my walkera f210. Thank god I did not buy the regular ones when they came out. Are they any good for race drones? Are they slow for race drones? Are they usable? Someone told me that they have big screens and does not think they wil be comfortable for long use with race drones...

Reactions: JamesA and olearys
I am waiting for the re to ship in Greece so I can use them with both my drones. My mavic pro and my walkera f210. Thank god I did not buy the regular ones when they came out. Are they any good for race drones? Are they slow for race drones? Are they usable? Someone told me that they have big screens and does not think they wil be comfortable for long use with race drones...

You should check the review on YouTube or on the web.
There is no latency issue. There may be a weight issue as you stated. As far as quality vs fat shark DJI wins hands down. Do more research and if your not racing get the original. If you do plan on getting into racing get the re.

I guess I’m not fully aware of the differences
Per the DJI Goggles RE FAQ, here are the differences between the DJI Goggles and the DJI Goggles Racing Edition:
  • In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

• DJI Goggles RE has redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas and added new external Pagoda antenna, a 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional left hand circularly polarized (LHCP) antenna.

• DJI Goggles RE has restructured the radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms* (with wireless transmission latency of less than 10 ms), ensuring smooth and reliable video transmission and avoiding video lag and disconnection from the digital video transmission system when operating in a normal environment.

• DJI Goggles RE supports analog transmission at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz and analog video storage on a Micro SD card.

• DJI Goggles RE can store digital video on a Micro SD card.

• DJI Goggles RE supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano.

• The facial pad has been redesigned and the headband has used new replaceable leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Neebles
Someone told me that they have big screens and does not think they wil be comfortable for long use with race drones...
You can adjust display size to your preference. Bigger screen can display smaller, not so the opposite.

You can adjust display size to your preference. Bigger screen can display smaller, not so the opposite.
That would be awesome if a smaller screen can display bigger. Pop in some videos and make myself a real IMAX experience.

Reactions: Kilrah
My wife ordered the re goggles through dji a few weeks ago for me and they did not arrive before Christmas.

We cancelled the order and I'm just going to purchase the regular goggles.

I do see the possibility of attaching an auxillary camera to a different drone or some other piece of equipment, but that's about the only reason I can see that make the re worth considering.

Reactions: Neebles
Per the DJI Goggles RE FAQ, here are the differences between the DJI Goggles and the DJI Goggles Racing Edition:
  • In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

• DJI Goggles RE has redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas and added new external Pagoda antenna, a 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional left hand circularly polarized (LHCP) antenna.

• DJI Goggles RE has restructured the radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms* (with wireless transmission latency of less than 10 ms), ensuring smooth and reliable video transmission and avoiding video lag and disconnection from the digital video transmission system when operating in a normal environment.

• DJI Goggles RE supports analog transmission at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz and analog video storage on a Micro SD card.

• DJI Goggles RE can store digital video on a Micro SD card.

• DJI Goggles RE supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano.

• The facial pad has been redesigned and the headband has used new replaceable leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.

Do you think those extra features are worth the extra cost if I won’t be using them for FPV racing? I know low latency is important for that, but not sure how important it is when I’m just cruising like Sunday morning.

Do you think those extra features are worth the extra cost
For me or you? :)

You'll have to decide which features fit your needs best.

Reactions: WAXMAN
For me or you? :)

You'll have to decide which features fit your needs best.

Ok let me rephrase, are the new features geared mostly towards racing (outside of the fit and color) or do they make a noticeable difference for regular flight over the old goggles?

I only have the DJI Goggles, so I cannot speak from experience. I've seen a few people mention they are more comfortable (with the new leather padding).

Not including the current discount (which ends on 12/31), I'd buy the Racing Edition if I didn't already have the DJI Goggles since they are only $100 more. These goggles are pretty heavy, so comfort is important when using them for long periods of time. If you're not going to use them often, then this might not matter much to you.

Also, I have a feeling that DJI might be releasing some type of racing drone that uses the new wireless features of the Racing Edition goggles. They built a race track, racing motors, racing goggles... it's just too odd to be a coincidence. Again though, if you're not interested in flying anything but a Mavic, then this is just another potential feature that probably doesn't matter to you.

I only have the DJI Goggles, so I cannot speak from experience. I've seen a few people mention they are more comfortable (with the new leather padding).

Not including the current discount (which ends on 12/31), I'd buy the Racing Edition if I didn't already have the DJI Goggles since they are only $100 more. These goggles are pretty heavy, so comfort is important when using them for long periods of time. If you're not going to use them often, then this might not matter much to you.

Also, I have a feeling that DJI might be releasing some type of racing drone that uses the new wireless features of the Racing Edition goggles. They built a race track, racing motors, racing goggles... it's just too odd to be a coincidence. Again though, if you're not interested in flying anything but a Mavic, then this is just another potential feature that probably doesn't matter to you.

Ok gotcha. I guess I thought there was a more significant price difference.

It’s not that I’m only interested in flying the Mavic, it’s just that I have fatsharks for my racing drones, so this would be strictly for photography and general cruising purposes.

Reactions: chazzm
I will buy them(RE) as soon as they arrive in Greece!!! Dji will release a race drone? That will be very interesting! Any info on that? Where did you hear about it?

DJI does not announce new drone releases ahead of time. It's just a feeling I have.
I somehow doubt it. They only release the vital parts, such as their engine and FPV module. But when it comes to an actual flight controller, and PDBs, there are already so many to choose from.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark