DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restarting the Mavic Mini 2 Mid-Air after CSC

True: you have to release the Sticks once you stop the motors and than place them in the starting position again , just to clarify that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

If attempting this in the mountains be sure to do it over an area where the ground is clear of bushes, trees or scrub, the drone may carry horizontal speed through the free fall and or be blown by the wind during the free fall. If the restart attempts fails the drone could get lost in scrub etc.

A screen recorder on the phone might also be a good idea. I would also suggest rereading my post no10, I have added some bits to it.

Be SURE to document and RECORD all of this. It's an excellent experiment that many want to try but lack to "kahoonas" to do it (myself included LOL).

If it doesn't tumble video footage may be pretty uneventful.
In my experiment with the Phantom you would think someone just had the throttle closed and was yawing the drone. It was obvious it was coming down quickly and more quickly than usual but there wasn't anything dramatic to see.
It wasn't until I checked the logs that I realised the drone was wobbling quite a bit and that the gimbal did one heck of a good job.
I think an important point might be to use cine mode, When I was testing the Mavic Mini to see what happened if the CSC was commanded whilst the response was set to "Emergency Only" cine mode gave resulted in a small radius, slow speed helix. Having satisfied myself that it wasn't going to fall from the sky I think I did at least one descent or partial descent in sports mode and the horizontal speeds were much faster, I presume the tilts were correspondingly greater.
I suspect cine mode will offer the greatest chance for the drone's survival as it will be fairly level when the motors stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! Didn’t go so well. Ended up falling to its death but not as much damage as I thought. It got stuck upside down. It was starting to fall flat but I waited too long I guess. I post on YouTube and here is the link.

Attachments

• FE012D74-55CE-4393-97D0-106DCE10FD4B.jpeg
    FE012D74-55CE-4393-97D0-106DCE10FD4B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 15D8F81E-0E20-4B23-9A9F-A8F4238FCCAE.jpeg
    15D8F81E-0E20-4B23-9A9F-A8F4238FCCAE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Ouch! Thank you for sharing with the group.

Thanks for the effort and that's a pity but I did suggest using cine mode :-(
Can you confirm that you held only the one CSC and that that was from initiating the motor stop to the drone crashing?
Can you post the log please?

That's a pity but I did suggest using cine mode :-(
Can you post the log please?
The TXT log isn't going to help because it stops when the motors stop. And the DAT file from the Mini 2 isn't readable.

BTW - not to beat you up, but might as well mention that you were way above FAA maximum flight limits for drone flight. I know this was to give you space to recover in your experiment, but please keep the regulations in mind on future attempts. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
It does seem to have stayed upright for the first 5 seconds or so which seems encouraging and lost around 240 ft during that time so it might be feasible to stop and start from under 400ft.

A while back I tried an anytime CSC with a Mavic Mini but started at between 6 and 8 ft over longish grass. I was not going to try a restart so I didn't send it high up. This was in Cine mode, from memory the motors stopped when it was about 18" off the ground. It fell onto longish grass so no harm was done. Unfortunately I was more interested in times & heights rather than attitude so I don't remember if it pitched radically in the short drop besides which 18" or less probably wouldn't have given it time to reach a freefall position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol just told dji it was a fly away and getting replacement. I could try again if everyone thinks I should try
There really is no point in doing again, we know how it works, and the thing is not to panic and remember how to work the sticks , its always going to be a roll of the dice , knowing how to do it in the middle of a crisis will be key.

A lesson you learned , and most likely will never forget to reposition the sticks after shutting off the motors and than setting them back in place.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I’ve been following this thread now for a couple of days, I can’t believe you did it. 😀

Do you really think Dji are stupid? If someone reports you to the appropriate authorities you could be in big big trouble. Especially when you have put it on here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manu Gopinath