DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted area

minipro3

Reactions
Been trying to get to an area to video a nice lake but not able to take off anywhere close. I Manage a small commercial property close by the lake and thought I would go up on the flat roof about 30 feet up to access lake. I knew that I was just inside the circle of the Disney restricted area, but knew that in about 30 seconds of flying I would exit that circle on Airmap. I got on the roof , started up the drone , it went up 4 feet and the RC then told me I was in a restricted area and would force land in 90 seconds, which it did. After that the drone would not even come on. Is there a workaround for this ? I was surprised that it would not even fly. Screen shot below. I was heading away from Disney

disney.PNG

Been trying to get to an area to video a nice lake but not able to take off anywhere close. I Manage a small commercial property close by the lake and thought I would go up on the flat roof about 30 feet up to access lake. I knew that I was just inside the circle of the Disney restricted area, but knew that in about 30 seconds of flying I would exit that circle on Airmap. I got on the roof , started up the drone , it went up 4 feet and the RC then told me I was in a restricted area and would force land in 90 seconds, which it did. After that the drone would not even come on. Is there a workaround for this ? I was surprised that it would not even fly. Screen shot below. I was heading away from Disney

View attachment 160397
The "workaround" would be to get the proper clearance and then go to the DJI safe fly website and do a custom unlock for the area. The unlock will be rejected if the FAA has an NFZ in place. Looks like you can get approval up to the 400' max from what I see on the map. Of course, I don't know your exact location

View attachment 160397
You are inside the TFR for Disney World and it is a NFZ for all drone flight without obtaining a proper waiver. The contact information is in the screenshot below.
ADDBDC50-8114-442D-A8DF-01EF7D54BE2C.jpeg

So would the same thing happen if I was inside the 5 mile ring of Orlando Int airport- my drone would not even start up?

So would the same thing happen if I was inside the 5 mile ring of Orlando Int airport- my drone would not even start up?
Correct

Reactions: minipro3
There's no five-mile ring around airports in the FAA regulations. To check a specific location, use the FAA's B4YouFly app or the web version. Don't rely on the DJI system to keep you out of trouble.

You might want to read up on the LAANC system if you want to fly near larger airports.

So I can assume that if I were flying towards these restricted areas, once I reached them, the drone would just stop in midair as if hitting an invisible barrier and hover ?

So I can assume that if I were flying towards these restricted areas, once I reached them, the drone would just stop in midair as if hitting an invisible barrier and hover ?
Yes or some variation of it. I once started up OUTSIDE any zone and flew into an Authorization zone for which I had permission. That was no help. My Mavic 3 locked up and I had to fight just to descend the squirm my way out of the zone very slowly with great effort. I now longer fly into or even close.

Reactions: Hermey

View attachment 160397
If you really want to fly over the area you can use an app that will tell the DJI app that your flying in a non-restricted zone. Just don't get lost. DJI will certainly be lost though. They will have no idea where your drone is with the location changing app that's running in the background.

You can genuinely spoof your device's location. While spoofing your location, the applications on your mobile phone will believe you are in your selected location when you are actually in a different area.

Reactions: Derodeo
If you really want to fly over the area you can use an app that will tell the DJI app that your flying in a non-restricted zone....
You can genuinely spoof your device's location. While spoofing your location, the applications on your mobile phone will believe you are in your selected location when you are actually in a different area.
You can spoof your mobile device location as much as you want... it will not let your drone fly in a restricted zone at all. The GPS position used is the one from the GPS receiver on the drone, not the position from the mobile device. As soon as the drone acquire a position which is affected by the DJI Fly Safe material certain actions step in depending on the zone classification.

DJI Fly Safe map --> Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

Zones:
1676017760741.png

And this seems to be the zone the OP is facing...

1676018083264.png

Reactions: MA2 317
Incorrect, possibly…….I have flown my drone in the Lake Nona region just outside the airport but within restricted airspace. I have been able to fly no problem as long as I’m within the guidelines. Not being able to turn the drone on though? Certainly not the case in my scenario.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah

I TRIED . DIDN'T WORK. :(

You are inside the TFR for Disney World and it is a NFZ for all drone flight without obtaining a proper waiver. The contact information is in the screenshot below.
View attachment 160398
Is funny the fact is a TFR (Temporary Fly Restriction) but in reality as far as I know is permanent as well as the White House. Not to be side tracked by how many permanent TFRs exist?

The Disney tfr really is a controversy and really there isn't any real reason for it. It needs to be revoked.

The Disney tfr really is a controversy and really there isn't any real reason for it. It needs to be revoked.
Is ridiculous.

Reason for NOTAM :​
Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons
Type :​
Security
Replaced NOTAM(s) :​
9/4985: TO REFLECT A TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (TSA) WEBSITE UPDATE AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONCERNING AIRSPACE WAIVERS.

Is ridiculous.

Reason for NOTAM :​
Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons
Type :​
Security
Replaced NOTAM(s) :​
9/4985: TO REFLECT A TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (TSA) WEBSITE UPDATE AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONCERNING AIRSPACE WAIVERS.
I think this is the story.

And now they're looking at removing their tax protections.

Incorrect, possibly…….I have flown my drone in the Lake Nona region just outside the airport but within restricted airspace. I have been able to fly no problem as long as I’m within the guidelines. Not being able to turn the drone on though? Certainly not the case in my scenario.
I'm easily within 2 maybe 3 miles of Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah,GA while at Lake Mayer and I'm able to fly but I have to keep it under 200' and I'm warned and have to click the box agreeing that I know this before takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661