DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rethinking photography with drones

I would say you've got it figured out. Those pictures are fantastic.

Reactions: Scopdoc
Using a drone has caused me to totally rethink my photography when composing images. Sunsets are all “better” when the horizon line is visible due to the altitude. Waterfalls can be viewed face on or from overhead. Animals are easier to photograph, as well. I am having to relearn “perspectives” on how to look at the world.View attachment 78597View attachment 78598View attachment 78599View attachment 78600View attachment 78601View attachment 78602View attachment 78603View attachment 78604View attachment 78605
Great pix

Way back an acquaintance of mine Bill Fortney took a trip across America with another guy and an ultralight.
He wrote a book (actually 2) "America from 500 Feet".
You might find his insights and photos worthy reading.

PS: Crazy thing is ultralights are less regulated than drones!

I came to the same conclusion a year and a half ago with my first drone which had a really crappy camera. But I saw that the perspective of a flying camera just couldn't be matched from a ground based camera. So with the advancements in camera and drone technology, 3 drones later ?. I find that I use my drone about 60% of the time and my land based camera about 40% depending on the job. And now that there are new aerial editing programs coming I suspect that ratio may change even further. Great shots!

Reactions: PAW and Scopdoc
Beautiful photos, that is why I also bought a drone (well one of them at least) different angles, better or different perspectives. I love it, I just wish I could get out there more with it. Keep up the great shots.

Well done! Lots of DSLR photos of NC waterfalls but looking forward to using my mavic for unique angles. Will take multiple shots and stack for focus. Assume you are doing the same. There was a great post a couple years back on stacking is Photoshop with drone shots. Did some and had great results. If I can find the post, will send the link. Pretty flat in Tampa but here's my best drone shot

Attachments

• DJI_0040 PS.jpg
    DJI_0040 PS.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: PAW and Scopdoc
Yes you usually want the horizon to show, unless you make a top down shot, so you generally want to fly pretty low to create the right angle.

Lightroom should show all data and even has a camera setting correction for DJI is I recall (not open at the moment). I do believe you could do your stacking there as well. Favs are the lightning as well as the long narrow canyon shot- just amazing!! Well done.
What program are you using for the HDR effect?? Hint: if you don't have LightRoom try thinking about buying an older version- cheaper.

I wholeheartedly agree that the new birds eye perspective opens up a lot of new creative options (e.g., my avatar of a roundabout from above). it also helps a lot with getting whole large objects in the shot, like bridges.

Nice images but like mine out of the camera, they're usually way too over-saturated, especially blues and greens.

Here is what I was referring to in the post above. The first image is the result of 3 different exposures (HDR), pretty much straight out of the camera. Notice the 'blue' clouds and the overly 'green' grass etc. (plus general lack of detail.
The second image is cropped slightly and colour corrected in PSCC. The greens and blues are over-saturated IMO 'out of the P2P camera) I did have an NDPL filter on at the time.

Corgarff Castle, Scotland (1).jpg

Corgarff Castle, Scotland (2).jpg

Hi
I Mean your Drone camera settings
I shot these in full manual mode. I stopped down to expose for snow in most of them. I brought the shadowed areas back up in PS to accommodate for the need to capture detail in the bright areas.

Well done! Lots of DSLR photos of NC waterfalls but looking forward to using my mavic for unique angles. Will take multiple shots and stack for focus. Assume you are doing the same. There was a great post a couple years back on stacking is Photoshop with drone shots. Did some and had great results. If I can find the post, will send the link. Pretty flat in Tampa but here's my best drone shot
Nice, “dramatic” sky!

Lightroom should show all data and even has a camera setting correction for DJI is I recall (not open at the moment). I do believe you could do your stacking there as well. Favs are the lightning as well as the long narrow canyon shot- just amazing!! Well done.
What program are you using for the HDR effect?? Hint: if you don't have LightRoom try thinking about buying an older version- cheaper.
For HDR lighting I use Aurora 2019

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki