DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return To Home Function Did Not Work After RC Signal Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that, please keep us posted either after your hear back from misenger or if you have any updates as inquiring-minds-want-to-know.

One final thought do you know if you were flying into the wind or downwind cuz if you were flying down wind maybe it was just having a problem trying to get back in which case it should be in a straight line between home point and where it lost connection

Reactions: Flyboy36
Check your local weather service and see what the prevailing wind direction was on that given day it's possible that it was trying to return home and got pushed further away it could still be in a straight line between home point and where it lost connection because the wind blew it

Check your local weather service and see what the prevailing wind direction was on that given day it's possible that it was trying to return home and got pushed further away it could still be in a straight line between home point and where it lost connection because the wind blew it
checked it earlier this morning. the wind was NNE. and was only at 2 miles per hour. i was east so if anything the wind was helping me

Thanks!

Here's what I see:
  • You took off with a battery that was only charged to 61% (most flights end around 30%)
  • The battery was at 44% at the end of the flight log
  • I don't think wind was a factor since your Mavic had no trouble hovering in place right before you switched to sport mode
  • When the remote controller disconnected, RTH should have been initiated
  • Since your Mavic didn't make it home, it most likely hit the critically low battery level and auto landed before it returned to the home point
The path back to the home point should have been close to the red line below if the remote controller disconnected at the end of your flight log.

Location1.jpg

Location2.jpg

With the amount of battery remaining, I think your Mavic made it at least 75% of the way home. I'd recommend you start walking on foot from the takeoff location to the end of the red line in the second image above. There are a lot of trees and buildings on that path, so it could be easily missed if it landed on top of something. If you have another drone (or know someone who owns one), perhaps you can fly it over those obstacles if you don't find your Mavic on the ground. And if it did land on the ground safely, someone could have already found it since this is a pretty populated location.

Thanks!

Here's what I see:
  • You took off with a battery that was only charged to 61% (most flights end around 30%)
  • I don't think wind was a factor since your Mavic had no trouble hovering in place right before you switched to sport mode
  • Since your Mavic didn't make it home, it most likely hit the critically low battery level and auto landed before it returned to the home point
The path back to the home point should have been close to the red line below if the remote controller disconnected at the end of your flight log.

View attachment 9891

View attachment 9892

With the amount of battery remaining, I think your Mavic made it at least 75% of the way home. I'd recommend you start walking on foot from the takeoff location to the end of the red line in the second image above. There are a lot of trees and buildings on that path, so it could be easily missed if it landed on top of something. And if it did land on the ground safely, someone could have already found it since this is a pretty populated location.
hmmm... im no expert but if i took a longer path then what was needed to get home and only used 16% of my battery, and my critical battery % is set at 10% with a low battery warning at 30%, i think it would have made it all the way home. before it shut off it still showed 5 minutes remaining before the smart battery was going to prompt me for a return home.

Thank for the input regardless

hmmm... im no expert but if i took a longer path then what was needed to get home and only used 16% of my battery, and my critical battery % is set at 10% with a low battery warning at 30%, i think it would have made it all the way home. before it shut off it still showed 5 minutes remaining before the smart battery was going to prompt me for a return home.

Thank for the input regardless

What was your altitude when the controller lost the connection? Since your RTH altitude was set at 120m it's likely your Mavic would have used up power to climb all the way up there if it wasn't high already.

my critical battery % is set at 10%
I'm referring to the point where the Mavic decides it needs to land in order to make it to the ground safely. The 10% setting you're referring to is completely independent of that critically low battery level.

Reactions: sosmaverick
What was your altitude when the controller lost the connection? Since your RTH altitude was set at 120m it's likely your Mavic would have used up power to climb all the way up there if it wasn't high already.
John makes a very good point . .. .. .

The Mavic was at 115 meters at the end of the flight log. It wouldn't have burned too much battery power climbing those 5 meters.

The RTH point was correctly set I assume in the logs?

Heading into the sun with OA on wasn't a factor? What time of day and which direction was the sun?

Yes. The log has been posted above if you want to check it out.

The Mavic was at 115 meters at the end of the flight log. It wouldn't have burned too much battery power climbing those 5 meters.
I didn't mean to doubt you msinger I was just hoping for a malfunction tbh. I've been out looking for an hour now around the 75% to home point range and have had no luck. I've climbed rooftops, looked heavily at trees. No where to be found. It's either stuck in a tree and I can't see it since it's almost the same color as a tree, or stuck in a roof that I wasn't able to have access to, but most likely it landed somewhere safe and someone picked it up like you were saying msinger. I'm calling it quits tho. I have it my A game but I'm calling it a loss. Thanks everyone for the input. It's been real

Reactions: Lapeer20m
i have the obstacle avoidance setting turned off. since it doesnt have side or rear sensors i always felt like it would do more harm then good. so dont think thats an issue either.

Mhhh might you have hit something in you way back?? No frontal avoidance sensors !

I think the OP had plenty of battery to get back.. he was high, he still had 44%, and had taken a zig-zag-ish trajectory to get to the last known point. My guess is power failure... he was hauling near top speed for 30 seconds, then it just blinked out. There's really no reason for it to lose signal at that distance, especially at the height it was at. How were the temps that day? Were you flying with the gimbal cover on? There have been a few others report total power failure, but we don't know for sure if that is due to battery ejection or power shutdown of the Mavic itself. I did see some curious .3+ volt drops in battery voltage, with no apparent change in altitude or speed.

If it still had power, it should have come home. I don't think it had power. Continue to look at that last known point, and look along the course it was traveling at the time (not along a course back to home).

Thanks!

Here's what I see:

View attachment 9891

View attachment 9892

With the amount of battery remaining, I think your Mavic made it at least 75% of the way home. I'd recommend you start walking on foot from the takeoff location to the end of the red line in the second image above. There are a lot of trees and buildings on that path, so it could be easily missed if it landed on top of something. If you have another drone (or know someone who owns one), perhaps you can fly it over those obstacles if you don't find your Mavic on the ground. And if it did land on the ground safely, someone could have already found it since this is a pretty populated location.

This look to me to be the case as well and I suspect it's in the top of a tree somewhere on that path or someone picked it up.

The interesting part is at no point did it reconnect so there is an element of doubt around it making it back closer, the only thing that la in my head is the knows OE bug with the sun and it just sat there.

OP had to ever tested RTH at all by turning the RC off ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure