DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return To Home Function Did Not Work After RC Signal Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok you had plenty of altitude and no issues there at all but you were high, what was the wind like ?

It can be very different at that height compared to ground level.

also what direction was the sun in relation to the aircrafts last known location ?

If somebody did get to it before you I do not think they could activate it because DJ I would know the serial number and they would have to buy a remote controller I don't think they can activate it if that's any help I know this doesn't make you feel much better but

Ok you had plenty of altitude and no issues there at all but you were high, what was the wind like ?

It can be very different at that height compared to ground level.

also what direction was the sun in relation to the aircrafts last known location ?

it was around 530 pm so the sun was probably a low west of it. if the winds were high the video would have shown it. it was smooth sailing before it cut out

Could it have been a controller malfunction ? the log doesnt even show a prompt for the RTH. and it would not connect back to the drone whatsoever

What Boris the spider is referring to is the forward Vision sensors sometimes we'll see the Sun as an obstacle and not want to move forward

Could it have been a controller malfunction ? the log doesnt even show a prompt for the RTH. and it would not connect back to the drone whatsoever

Unlikely as the craft RTH is completely independent of the RC so it would have RTH.

Imo it's either

Just dropped with loss of power for some odd reason - unlikely.

RTH fail due to low sun possibly on the OE and it sat there then critical landed - real possibility.

It hit something, bird perhaps - remote but possible.

Did not make it back with enough power and critical landed on route - real possibly

Based on those logs it's just ended with no further interaction, no final errors or anything that looks odd.

Last edited:
What Boris the spider is referring to is the forward Vision sensors sometimes we'll see the Sun as an obstacle and not want to move forward

i have the obstacle avoidance setting turned off. since it doesnt have side or rear sensors i always felt like it would do more harm then good. so dont think thats an issue either.

I've also seen a few posts about the battery and that being not snapped in correctly and coming loose during flight. maybe this would explain the sudden loss of data, if that's the case it should be on the ground directly underneath where it lost connection.

OP should try contacting DJI IMO, if they determine that RTH didn't work when it should have there's at least a chance they might consider it a warranty case and provide a replacement.

In the meantime you should certainly continue looking at the last location logged and in a straight line from there to the home point, these things are quite small so maybe you'll find it somewhere you've already looked or nearby.

Unlikely as the craft RTH is completely independent of the RC so it would have RTH.

Imo it's either

Just dropped with loss of power for some odd reason - unlikely.

RTH fail due to low sun possibly on the OE and it sat there then critical landed - real possibility.

It hit something, bird perhaps - remote but possible.

Did not make it back with enough power and critical landed on route - real possibly

Based on those logs it's just ended with no further interaction, no final errors or anything that looks odd.

i have the obstacle avoidance setting turned off. since it doesnt have side or rear sensors i always felt like it would do more harm then good. so dont think thats an issue either. and i had plenty of power to make it back to the home point. 43% to be exact and yeah there is wind up there but the video footage would have been somewhat affected if there was enough wind to affect it coming back with 43% battery left

I've also seen a few posts about the battery and that being not snapped in correctly and coming loose during flight. maybe this would explain the sudden loss of data, if that's the case it should be on the ground directly underneath where it lost connection.

searched everywhere.

will be doing more searching after i get off in an hour

Finally Tbh I find it hard not to be critical of that flight location especially on a new craft with only a few flights, well beyond LOS and high over built up area was asking for issues, this may not at all have attributed to the loss but taking it easy on a new battery for the first 10 or so flights keeping it low and with in sight can ensure the craft is behaving as expected, long flights out of sight or over water on a new craft more often than I like to see will end badly, these things need to be tested in controlled conditions until you get used to knowing exactly how the craft performs vs how it should perform, RTH tested where you can see it and where you can test it safely should also be done before pushing limits.

I hope you manage to find some info somewhere that may help you recover it their is not a lot more that I can add

Sorry for your loss.

i have the obstacle avoidance setting turned off. since it doesnt have side or rear sensors i always felt like it would do more harm then good. so dont think thats an issue either.
Turning of OA does not turn of OA RTH i believe that needs to be done independently. I could be wrong but when i turn of OA it says that OA will still be active on RTH

Finally Tbh I find it hard not to be critical of that flight location especially on a new craft with only a few flights, well beyond LOS and high over built up area was asking for issues, this may not at all have attributed to the loss but taking it easy on a new battery for the first 10 or so flights keeping it low and with in sight can ensure the craft is behaving as expected, long flights out of sight or over water on a new craft more often than I like to see will end badly, these things need to be tested in controlled conditions until you get used to knowing exactly how the craft performs vs how it should perform, RTH tested where you can see it and where you can test it safely should also be done before pushing limits.

I hope you manage to find some info somewhere that may help you recover it their is not a lot more that I can add

Sorry for your loss.

if it makes a difference its a very small town with a population of 3796 to be exact. i know im a beginner and therefore naive, but there isnt any buildings over 3 stories or any major businesses that would be running huge interference

Not trying to be an *** OP - I too am sorry for your situation and hope you find your drone, but whether or not there's interference or tall buildings is hardly the point - built up areas of any sort are no place to be flying non-certified, experimental aircraft - stories like yours should remind people that you have a hugely higher possibility with these things than with "proper" aircraft of failures and loss of control, then you have a kilo of stuff a few hundred feet over the heads of uninvolved people who didn't ask or consent to being put at risk.

I hope you find your drone or DJI provide you another one under warranty, and I also hope you'll refrain from flying the next over over towns.

Not trying to be an *** OP - I too am sorry for your situation and hope you find your drone, but whether or not there's interference or tall buildings is hardly the point - built up areas of any sort are no place to be flying non-certified, experimental aircraft - stories like yours should remind people that you have a hugely higher possibility with these things than with "proper" aircraft of failures and loss of control, then you have a kilo of stuff a few hundred feet over the heads of uninvolved people who didn't ask or consent to being put at risk.

I hope you find your drone or DJI provide you another one under warranty, and I also hope you'll refrain from flying the next over over towns.
fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki