DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Right time to buy M3?

Well, we are some days further now... how a about the swap on this time? Is the m3 updated in the last period? I saw someone who is selling his M3 fly more for just 1700€. Is it a good swap or still some big cons?

is the photo quality far better than m2p?
Depends upon whether he is selling because of his GNSS issues! Only way to tell is from a cold boot, and no way to know if he warmed it up prior to your testing! I'd wait until the GNSS issues are fixed for all (DJI says within 2 months), since you still have your M2P workhorse. Photo and video quality in low light on the M3 is significantly better, 10 minute longer flight time, and a 7x telephoto bonus camera. HiRes 60MB 360° panos, too!

Reactions: leebroath
Interesting. Can you elaborate? I have the same doubts about the MP3
Is there a feature that you need or want that justifies the price of entry into a Mavic 3? Are the published shortcomings acceptable to you? Understanding that there is always a newer, better version right around the corner, especially the longer you wait. Say you drop $3000 today for a M3, which has been out for about 6 months, guess what's going to hit the streets in about another 6 months...

Is there a feature that you need or want that justifies the price of entry into a Mavic 3? Are the published shortcomings acceptable to you? Understanding that there is always a newer, better version right around the corner, especially the longer you wait. Say you drop $3000 today for a M3, which has been out for about 6 months, guess what's going to hit the streets in about another 6 months...

(emphasis mine)

For major revisions, it took ~5 years for the M3 (2021) to be released to replace the M2P (2016).

Yes, there may be an M3S released relatively soon, but that's not a major revision (M4). The rumor of the M3S is just "fixes the screw ups of the first M3 release".

For me as a mostly stills photographer, going from the 20MP M2P to the 20MP M3 was worth it because of the new 4/3 sensor reportedly had significantly better low light performance and also increased dynamic range. But the more I learn about the failings of this model (not just the GPS flaw, but other design decisions), the more I need the M3S to be less a fix and more "newer, better". Otherwise, I may just wait for the M4 (or whatever new thing comes next).

Chris

D
Hi drone m8s,

I was looking for a M3 to replace my M2P and M2Z. But read a lot of negative messages on this forum.
Is it the right time to replace the M2's or is it better to wait for further updates?

Thnx
Despite all the "negative" things being said, and I do agree that it isn't all "Candy and Flowers" the Mavic 3 is a great drone. It is by far the best DJI drone I have flown. If you are going to make the investment, I would highly recommend the smart controller as well (unless you are buying the Cine version, which comes with one).

Pros:
1) Outstanding image quality and flexibility (explorer Mode)
2) Great flight time (I have completed several projects on one battery!)
3) great top speed and very good handling of windy conditions
3) Just as easy to use as Air2, Air2S, etc.

Cons:
1)Satellite issue still not fully resolved (it has not been a problem for me personally)
2) Software still missing a few features (Hopefully this will get resolved in future firmware updates)
3) Price (it is not cheap but I would still say it is worth it)

Just my thoughts from my own experience.

I’m actually sitting on the fence thinking will I return it or not

I know the GPS issue may be resolved in an update, but what if they can’t.

Knowing DJI they certainly won’t have a product recall due to their mess up!

New poster here!

I'm in the same boat. Was pretty sold on the Mavic 3 and then started doing some deeper research on the forums and such where I saw the various issues.

I think I'd probably be happy with the Air2S as well, but I'm primarily concerned about battery life. I'm interested in flying/posting extended landscape flights on YouTube as a hobby.

I think approx. 20 minutes is enough flight time for me, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying the Air2S is only getting 15 minutes with relatively normal conditions. That's not quite enough for what I want to do.

Also appreciate the larger sensor on the Mavic 3 but not as big of a deal. That it's already good for the RID changes also seems useful. But $1200-$2000 useful, I don't know.

For me, it's mostly flight time. If the flight time difference between the Air2S and Mavic 3 is, say 20-21 minutes versus 34-35 minutes, okay. I'm sold. But I've seen some YouTube reviewers say they're getting 20 minutes on Air2S and 28 minutes on Mavic 3. Not enough of a difference.

What is the average flight time experience for Mavic 3 users here? Yes, I'm aware of the GPS connection issue eating into battery time. I'm purely interested in time in the air. Thanks!

New poster here!

I'm in the same boat. Was pretty sold on the Mavic 3 and then started doing some deeper research on the forums and such where I saw the various issues.

I think I'd probably be happy with the Air2S as well, but I'm primarily concerned about battery life. I'm interested in flying/posting extended landscape flights on YouTube as a hobby.

I think approx. 20 minutes is enough flight time for me, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying the Air2S is only getting 15 minutes with relatively normal conditions. That's not quite enough for what I want to do.

Also appreciate the larger sensor on the Mavic 3 but not as big of a deal. That it's already good for the RID changes also seems useful. But $1200-$2000 useful, I don't know.

For me, it's mostly flight time. If the flight time difference between the Air2S and Mavic 3 is, say 20-21 minutes versus 34-35 minutes, okay. I'm sold. But I've seen some YouTube reviewers say they're getting 20 minutes on Air2S and 28 minutes on Mavic 3. Not enough of a difference.

What is the average flight time experience for Mavic 3 users here? Yes, I'm aware of the GPS connection issue eating into battery time. I'm purely interested in time in the air. Thanks!
On RID, I haven't seen anything indicating M3 is more prepared than other models. DJI's own VP of Policy & Legal gives the impression that most likely all recent drones (last few years) will be able to meet RID. In addition, DJI is making a add-on module that will fit all non-RID capable models (DJI & others). I don't think any difference between M3 and M2AS crafts at this stage of knowing non-finalized RID spec.

(emphasis mine)

For major revisions, it took ~5 years for the M3 (2021) to be released to replace the M2P (2016).

Yes, there may be an M3S released relatively soon, but that's not a major revision (M4). The rumor of the M3S is just "fixes the screw ups of the first M3 release".

For me as a mostly stills photographer, going from the 20MP M2P to the 20MP M3 was worth it because of the new 4/3 sensor reportedly had significantly better low light performance and also increased dynamic range. But the more I learn about the failings of this model (not just the GPS flaw, but other design decisions), the more I need the M3S to be less a fix and more "newer, better". Otherwise, I may just wait for the M4 (or whatever new thing comes next).

Chris
Who said anything about a major revision...? (Learning there's more to life than megapixels the hard way I guess...)

I bet an Air 2S with a variable aperture would be a better overall drone than a M3.

15 minutes is either not-normal conditions or not-normal flying or both.

That’s it !!

Everything is bagged up and ready for sending back to Amazon, I’ve had enough of the GPS issues, today was the last straw! I tried powering cycling the battery as Gadget said and that still didn’t work, over and over 10+ min and sometimes never locking on,
…it’s time for the half baked device to go!

Magic 3 Combo, RC Pro, memory cards and all Freewell Filters all boxed up, return labels on and ready for returns shipping.

I’ll review the Mavic 3(S) again once the issues have been ironed out :)

I would advise anyone who has second thoughts to do the same.

That’s it !!

Everything is bagged up and ready for sending back to Amazon, I’ve had enough of the GPS issues, today was the last straw! I tried powering cycling the battery as Gadget said and that still didn’t work, over and over 10+ min and sometimes never locking on,

Magic 3 Combo, RC Pro, memory cards and all Freewell Filters all boxed up, return labels on and ready for returns shipping.

Seems like the right decision having gone this long since launch and still not sorted. Experiences like yours definitely encouraging me to wait too. I'm guessing you are going to be wanting to see reports of a pretty stable "next" drone before you go again? I think there will be many in this camp.

Correct mate, I’m holding off and waiting.

There’s no way I’m spending over £3k on something which isn’t working as intended!

At such a high cost, and having been out on the market since last year, this should have all been fixed by now. I can wait, and will return when I see everything is working, and only then will DJI get my money.

Last edited:
Who said anything about a major revision...? (Learning there's more to life than megapixels the hard way I guess...)

I bet an Air 2S with a variable aperture would be a better overall drone than a M3.

15 minutes is either not-normal conditions or not-normal flying or both.

That's great to hear, but it's also an incomplete answer. When I search here and elsewhere the reported flight times are all over the map. What are you experiencing or what would you suggest is a reliable approximate flight time in normal flying conditions and normal flying?

That's great to hear, but it's also an incomplete answer. When I search here and elsewhere the reported flight times are all over the map. What are you experiencing or what would you suggest is a reliable approximate flight time in normal flying conditions and normal flying?
I would suggest not going ( Inappropriate) out in Sport mode and then complaining about flight time.

Flight time is not a fixed value, and any discussion on the topic about exact values is pointless. Similar to gas mileage posts. If you looked at how DJI (and others) come up with the marketed time, that's not how the average pilot flies. I can kill a battery in less than 10 min or I can easily go past 20, it just depends.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys you want me to monitor this thread i will. Have issued 2 warnings and deleted several post so far and won't stop there .
Watch your language and be civil or this thread Will be over .

That’s it !!

Sorry those workarounds didn't also work for you. It's a great drone. Thanks for trying them. How long did it take for the 8 satellites initially, before the power cycling?

OK guys you want me to monitor this thread i will. Have issued 2 warnings and deleted several post so far and won't stop there .
Watch your language and be civil or this thread Will be over .
We so need you working over on the DJI Forum! There isn't even a modicum of what you provide here over there and they desperately need it! Makes such a difference.

Sorry those workarounds didn't also work for you. It's a great drone. Thanks for trying them. How long did it take for the 8 satellites initially, before the power cycling?
It was painful to watch mate, I would be standing watching my RC Pro jump to 5... then 6... then 7.... then finally 8 after about 3min, but then it would flick back to 7, then back up to 8, then jump to 10...then back to 8... after a few min it would be at 11, my hopes of reaching a Home Point came crashing down yet again when it flicked back down to 9.

Absolutely horrendous and shocking !!!

There is no way (watch my language) this should be happening!

I have made the right decision, and I urge anyone with issues to set up a return.

Reactions: Kbviper
New poster here!

Flight time has never been an issue for me with the Mavic3. I have flown dozens of flights in cold, wind, high altitude, etc. and I always see between 35 and 28 minutes of flight time. Not to mention, because the Mavic 3 is so much faster , you can get to locations quicker and without as much battery burn. Like i previously said, the GPS issue is slightly annoying at times, but i have never had to wait more than two minutes and usually it is less than that.

It was painful to watch mate, I would be standing watching my RC Pro jump to 5... then 6... then 7.... then finally 8 after about 3min, but then it would flick back to 7, then back up to 8, then jump to 10...then back to 8... after a few min it would be at 11, my hopes of reaching a Home Point came crashing down yet again when it flicked back down to 9.

Absolutely horrendous and shocking !!!

There is no way (watch my language) this should be happening!

I have made the right decision, and I urge anyone with issues to set up a return.
I hope you get a good one next time, and that the GNSS issues alsonget fixed for everyone else in the next update!

Reactions: leebroath
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02