DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe or not to fly at this temperature ?

Hello there ' new nj flyer here, I flew last night same kinda conditions, does the camera get jello In cold,?

I have often had jello and shuddering issues but would say the footage I have had this week has been some of the most stable I have ever got. Interestingly I have had really shudders footage in hot, tropical conditions with dense trees etc.

Video attached of recent outing from this week and only real jello/shudder at low altitude over the river at 2 min mark.

Would not fly but i have flown many times in below zero with the Mavic. If its low humidity the temperature is no problem the single problem i have found was prop break, the parachute saved that one tough (yes im a coward i mounted a rc parachute on it) . But when its cold and hi humidity.. Made me lose one because of ice issues.
Parachute? Please let me know more about that...

Parachute? Please let me know more about that...

Well. I am a pyrotechnician and I have bult small parachute for the Mavic. It has a 400 m range and has a trigger embedded in my tablet holder. If the mavic fails in some way i kill the prop and push the remote trigger. It then lands safely. Usually in a tree but safe at least. I built this system for a movie a while back. What triggers the chute is a small explosive. Or well like a match that trigger a spring and thats it basically.

Reactions: superdave5050
Thanks very nice , any filer did you use?
Yeah - I was using Polar Pro Cinema series - ND8 for the first clips (Flying high) as nearer sunset, and ND16 for on the river clips (which was about an hour earlier).

Reactions: Jonez
That's too cold, for me not the Mavic. I fly a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows and peppermint schnapps at any thing below zero.

I can see how that would effect battery power and flight time
Proper warm up before lift off a must
optic issue.Maybe.?

Can you do it from inside your car.?
.........because evidently yes that is a thing......wow
Flying from inside Car?
.................................cR

I did a 6°F/-14C 130ft ascent the other day, i kept it up in the air for about 5 minutes doing a 360° pan, but was a lil leary to fly off into the sunset so i brought it down. It had no problems, but the battery was depleting faster than normally, without any acceleration, it used about 15% in that bit of time, So at -29C i think that is like -20F here, i wouldnt even consider it let alone expose myself to those tempts

Yes I tried ' parked car in field an let her up 30m battery took an 12% hit , guess temp will cut fly time in half, get my shoots an get out!

f99d4d87cb88068c3b027c249e586ed4.jpg
What I'm seeing here is not a temperature problem but a wind problem! I wouldn't dare try to fly in winds of 15-30kph. They could be much higher at even 30-50m high. The MP doesn't mind cold temps if you don't try to launch with a cold battery, but those winds are not user friendly!

Would be interested in that parachute idea, always thought that would be a great idea. Is it something you can share or the parts way out of diy skill set ?

I have been flying in Montana the last week with temps around minus 10-15C. Been following all the advice I have picked up from previous postings on the topic.

Have had nil issues with the Mavic, but it has been my IPHONE 6S that has struggled. Had phone charged at 100% and after 10 mins of flight the phone shutdown - thankfully clicked RTH on controller and after a fairly nerve wracking 2-3 mins the Mavic appeared on the horizon heading home.

After warming up phone and turning back on it was at 85% charge. Just a warning for others - a bit scary when it happens and Mavic is about 1200metres away and it’s super cold.

That was your iphone’s problem. Tell your local apple store that your phone suddenly shut down. you might able to replace the battery for free!

Would not fly but i have flown many times in below zero with the Mavic. If its low humidity the temperature is no problem the single problem i have found was prop break, the parachute saved that one tough (yes im a coward i mounted a rc parachute on it) . But when its cold and hi humidity.. Made me lose one because of ice issues.
Wait a minute this sounds very interesting... any pix of parachute rig?

No problems whatsoever. Doesn't get much colder than where I live.

Reactions: dekip
Flew mine yesterday at -26c no issues with mavic or controller, but iPhone 6+ went from 92 - 12% battery in 5 minutes or so - got the mavic back with the controller.

Flew mine a couple days ago in -8. no problems with the Mavic or controller but my iPhone also went from a full charge to dead in less than 10 minuets.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom