DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving with the DJI GO 4 App ?

kingsolomon12

Reactions
When I take a pic or video with my Mavic those pics and videos come up in the App for me to view &/or save to my phone or download original. Are these low res/quality versions as there is also the option to download the original ? If for instance I go to create a video within the DJI GO 4 App with the videos that are there will this be a lower quality video than if I were to download the original and create the video from the originals ? Sorry, just never been very sure & appreciate any help u guys can offer.

MarK. :)

When I take a pic or video with my Mavic those pics and videos come up in the App for me to view &/or save to my phone or download original. Are these low res/quality versions as there is also the option to download the original ? If for instance I go to create a video within the DJI GO 4 App with the videos that are there will this be a lower quality video than if I were to download the original and create the video from the originals ? Sorry, just never been very sure & appreciate any help u guys can offer.

Howdy kingsolomon12, yes your phone is low res, the micro sd card in the Mavic hold the hi-res original image. It is located on the left rear if you are looking at it from the front.
Regards,
-d.

Got it, if I choose to download the original video to the phone will that be the same quality as what's on the SD card & if I create a video using the app adding the originals will that all then be full res ?
Howdy kingsolomon12, yes your phone is low res, the micro sd card in the Mavic hold the hi-res original image. It is located on the left rear if you are looking at it from the front.
Regards,
-d.

You can also hook your Mavic directly to your computer via its micro USB port on the side and directly download the HD/4K videos into a file created for that day's shooting.

I do it that way, check out the images to be sure they transferred okay, then wipe my micro sd card clean all at the same time. Saves time from having to monkey around with that small flash memory card after every shoot. and is a good way of automatically cataloging your images. Be sure you have your Mavic photo settings set to number your images consecutively to avoid possibly overwriting previous files with the same DJI image number.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Got it, if I choose to download the original video to the phone will that be the same quality as what's on the SD card & if I create a video using the app adding the originals will that all then be full res ?
The only way to get original quality high res is to pull it off the card in the drone. I use a USB 3.0 MicroSD adapter, pull the card and put it in my computer.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: CC Rider
The only way to get original quality high res is to pull it off the card in the drone. I use a USB 3.0 MicroSD adapter, pull the card and put it in my computer.
Regards,
-d.
The app gives u the option to download the original while the phone is on. Are u saying this is still a lesser quality than pulling directly from the card ?

The app gives u the option to download the original while the phone is on. Are u saying this is still a lesser quality than pulling directly from the card ?
That I am unsure of, I am on Android and not familiar with that option. My apologies,
Regards,
-d.

Just follow Bunny Too's advice. I'm using an iPhone 6S Plus, using the latest Mavic App, firmware, etc., and have never even seen an option for me to save my footage to my iPhone, actually. So I can't help you there, either. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but I've never seen that option pop up on me.

Just directly download your images from your Mavic either by removing the micro sd card and putting it into your computer or whatever, or else directly download it from your Mavic via the USB connection. Either way will give you the best image resolution you can obtain from your Mavic. That is the way the Mavic is intended to be used, to the best of my knowledge. Others may have more to add to this discussion. But that is my my advice.

It will download the full size footage, but it will take VERY long and I believe the built-in editor will not export full quality anyway, so everything you do in the editor will be limited.

It will download the full size footage, but it will take VERY long and I believe the built-in editor will not export full quality anyway, so everything you do in the editor will be limited.

I guess I must have something switched incorrectly or something because my iPhone DJI GO4 App has never given me the option of saving images to my phone. I'll have to go through things again to see what I'm missing, although I am disinclined to save images that way anyhow. Still, it'd be nice knowing how.

For video it's the video cache that must be enabled, for photos there's a "Save HD" or something in the camera settings.

For video it's the video cache that must be enabled, for photos there's a "Save HD" or something in the camera settings.

Gotcha. Should be easy enough to find. I guess I just never enabled that function during my initial setup, depending upon the Mavic's sd card to do its thing.

Thanks a lot for giving me an answer so quickly and concisely. I really appreciate it.

When I take a pic or video with my Mavic those pics and videos come up in the App for me to view &/or save to my phone or download original. Are these low res/quality versions

Yes when you press Record a recording is made on the Mavics SD card and the phone also makes it's own recording. Provided you have the option turned on in app for the phone to make recordings. (which you should)

as there is also the option to download the original ?

Yes you can do it by pulling out the Mavics SD card and reading it from a PC. You can also use a SD to Lightning port adapter and open it on an iPhone or iPad and save files on them (**). You can also hook the Mavic straight to the PC using a USB cable and it will open like a USB memory stick. You can go into the folder and copy out the videos and photos. (**)

** These Methods are slower since it's using USB2 speeds

If for instance I go to create a video within the DJI GO 4 App with the videos that are there will this be a lower quality video than if I were to download the original and create the video from the originals ? Sorry, just never been very sure & appreciate any help u guys can offer.

That depends. The phone will only record at a maximum of 1080P and in most cases 720P. The video on the SD card is whatever you set the Mavic to record at, from 1080P to 4K. The bit rate on the Mavic internal SD recordings is also higher so no matter what there will be a better video on the Mavics SD card but the file sizes are also a lot bigger.

The problem is that even though you could use iTunes and possibly dump the SD cards video files into the Mavic video folders on your iDevice. The Mavic Video editor is most likely going to choke on 4K video files. IMHO it's just a waste of time, the program is not designed for serious video editing. It's made to put together a quick lower res video and be able to share it on social media while staying at a hotel or while camping.

Hope this answers your questions
Rob

Reactions: m4v1c and CC Rider
Yes when you press Record a recording is made on the Mavics SD card and the phone also makes it's own recording. Provided you have the option turned on in app for the phone to make recordings. (which you should)

Yes you can do it by pulling out the Mavics SD card and reading it from a PC. You can also use a SD to Lightning port adapter and open it on an iPhone or iPad and save files on them (**). You can also hook the Mavic straight to the PC using a USB cable and it will open like a USB memory stick. You can go into the folder and copy out the videos and photos. (**)

** These Methods are slower since it's using USB2 speeds

That depends. The phone will only record at a maximum of 1080P and in most cases 720P. The video on the SD card is whatever you set the Mavic to record at, from 1080P to 4K. The bit rate on the Mavic internal SD recordings is also higher so no matter what there will be a better video on the Mavics SD card but the file sizes are also a lot bigger.

The problem is that even though you could use iTunes and possibly dump the SD cards video files into the Mavic video folders on your iDevice. The Mavic Video editor is most likely going to choke on 4K video files. IMHO it's just a waste of time, the program is not designed for serious video editing. It's made to put together a quick lower res video and be able to share it on social media while staying at a hotel or while camping.

Hope this answers your questions
Rob

THANKS so much for your post. I learned a lot myself from it. Your answers were well presented, concise and to the point. I really appreciate the extra info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78