DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scenario 3. Mavic to the rescue!

geigy

Reactions
Scenario 3. Your good friend has stranded his Parrot BeBop drone on a tower. It is just visible with binoculars about 200 feet above ground level. He lost signal on the other side of the tower and while regaining control, it crashed into the flagpole at the top of the tower, and came to rest on a ledge. The authorities will retrieve the drone, reluctantly, but this requires hiring a climber and will cost $800 dollars. The tower is located next to the water in a metropolitan area, and there is a safe zone around it with no people.

How would you use your drone to rescue his drone? What precautions would you take to ensure that your drone did not become snagged?

This scenario is free form. Please feel free to modify the scenario slightly to match an actual previous experience, or to help clarify your idea or contribution to the discussion. Your thoughts, questions, and ideas are welcome and I hope you will contribute to the discussion!

Reactions: AzRich
I would not risk my Mavic on this, but you could hand launch with a hook hanging from some twine and try to hook the trapped drone. Guess it depends on how cramped the tower is and if there's other things the hook could get stuck on, but any rescue efforts here seem risky.

-Joe

Not having flown my MP yet I feel great sympathy for this Scenario 3. So I can't offer any advice, however I did come across this (Link: rescue mavic pro - YouTube) which may offer some help. There are other uploads on the same subject on YouTube. Wish you luck in your efforts.

Tell your good freind to chalk it up to experience as that's what happens when you buy a cheap a$$ drone - then direct him to the DJI website where he can pick up a quality replacement!! A good days work!!!! :D

Scenario 3. Your good friend has stranded his Parrot BeBop drone on a tower. It is just visible with binoculars about 200 feet above ground level. He lost signal on the other side of the tower and while regaining control, it crashed into the flagpole at the top of the tower, and came to rest on a ledge. The authorities will retrieve the drone, reluctantly, but this requires hiring a climber and will cost $800 dollars. The tower is located next to the water in a metropolitan area, and there is a safe zone around it with no people.

How would you use your drone to rescue his drone? What precautions would you take to ensure that your drone did not become snagged?

This scenario is free form. Please feel free to modify the scenario slightly to match an actual previous experience, or to help clarify your idea or contribution to the discussion. Your thoughts, questions, and ideas are welcome and I hope you will contribute to the discussion!
If it's only resting on a ledge then I'm sure you'll be able to get it down with your Mavic. Just use so long string attached to the bottom with a hook attached. The hooked end of a metal coat hanger perhaps

I think the responses so far have outlined the issues of a rescue. Hooking the drone in the first place is a very difficult task -you need to design the hook, and the actual operation is a lot like threading a needle with mittens on. Then there is the risk that your Mavic will either go into an oscillation and lose control, or hook onto something and get stuck. If it does, instead of solving the problem, your efforts have made things worse!

Keep in mind that the Mavic can lift upto 0.5 kilos circa, and you also have to factor in the weight of the hook you'll be using. The Bebop 2 weighs in at just 0.5 kilos: you'd be in a very awkward situation with a Mavic. Do you or some friends have a sturdier quad?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter