DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal "repeater".

SilverMiner67

Reactions
Is there any such device as having a fixed antennae somewhere high up near you that has better LOS to your drone and having it act as a repeater between remote and drone?

Reactions: Frank Dracman
Probably not due to design limitations. Consider that if the repeater is to receive and then transmit on the same frequencies, the repeater's receive and transmit antennas must be RF isolated from each other, otherwise they'll create a feedback loop with the repeaters transmitted signal entering the receive antenna and being amplified and re-transmitted yet again. The result is circuit overload (kind of akin to an audio feedback loop where all you get is a loud squeal when the speaker output can get into the microphone.

Regular repeaters deal with this by either transmitting on a different frequency than they receive on, or by having very good isolation between their antennas.

Reactions: AZDave
By modifying the RC to accept external antennas, you could mount an antenna on your roof or a portable antenna mast with a hard wired connection. Others have done this in the past to fly from within the house or within a vehicle, before VLOS became a requirement.

Reactions: SilverMiner67
By modifying the RC to accept external antennas, you could mount an antenna on your roof or a portable antenna mast with a hard wired connection. Others have done this in the past to fly from within the house or within a vehicle, before VLOS became a requirement.
That's a great idea, makes total sense. Just a nice big fixed antenna that you plug the remote antenna into. I know very little about antenna design though hopefully someone will make a guide.

That's a great idea, makes total sense. Just a nice big fixed antenna that you plug the remote antenna into. I know very little about antenna design though hopefully someone will make a guide.
There's a lot of that sort of stuff archived over on PhantomPilots.com
Just use the search feature for "External antennas"

Reactions: dosker1976
Hi Silverminer, I stumbled on you post about a repeater and am wondering if you were able to solve the issue?

I have a related issue but for flying in factories. I would appreciate any related thoughts on the matter of extenders or repeaters.

pretty much what GadgetGuy has stated. Nothing has really changed in this area.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu