DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins affecting video signal?

Twinpop

Reactions
I have never had an issue with video lag while flying until I put a skin on my Mavic recently. I put a carbon fiber look decal from Amazon that covered most of the drone. Looked really cool. The next day, I had four projects to shoot. While shooting the first three, I experienced serious lag in the video image to my screen(IPad mini), including 2-4 sec freezes. The clips are unusable. Not thinking it could be the skin, I changed video resolution and frame rates continuously to try and remedy the problem. Nothing worked.

Then on the fourth project it finally hit me. Could it be the skin? I removed all of the skin from the body of the drone, leaving it only on the legs, set my resolution back to my standard 2k/30 frames/sec, and had no issues with lag whatsoever.

The odd thing is what I put the card in my desktop to look at the footage, the first three projects had the lag, so it was slow on the card as well? The fourth project played back fine.

Crazy coincidence? Don't know, but I am flying skinless from now on.

Any suggestions?

I've had lag before... seemed to me to be .700 firmware or ?

There are many on here that believe it is often related to a bad cord.

What FW? What App Version? Stock SD card?

I can't imagine skin having influence on video recorded by wires from camera... would be really crazy. For radio signal transmission - okay, if you would be unlucky to buy skin made of strange material (metallic paint particles fo example).
I fly with DecalGirl skin on without problem with video feed.

I have a skin on mine and no problems with video. US Flag pattern made by Mighty Skins. I printed up some extra flag patterns on waterproof self stick "paper" for the other three batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078