DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins for drone

lippyrich

Reactions
Hello all.
Quick question, what do people think about skins in relation to birds. As in do we think that they can discourage birds from having an interest in your drone ?

I don't think birds care about skins. I've seen small birds attack larger birds of prey to keep them away from nests.

Search this topic...he posts an interesting pattern he was using to discourage birds...
What color/pattern works best to discourage bird attacks?

Reactions: lippyrich
Hello all.
Quick question, what do people think about skins in relation to birds. As in do we think that they can discourage birds from having an interest in your drone ?

We make the Wet Suits for the drone and all of the colors have been attacked , however the Neon Blue and Black has been attacked the least by seagulls.
Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 1.03.44 PM.png
Phantomrain.org
Cutting Edge gear to fly your Mavic.

I like this one :)

Attachments

• _20190518_091314.jpg
    _20190518_091314.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 104
  • _20190518_091513.jpg
    _20190518_091513.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106
  • _20190518_091825.jpg
    _20190518_091825.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 99
  • _20190518_092139.jpg
    _20190518_092139.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
That's a nice pattern but does it make any difference? I have occasional run ins with birds and have thought about getting a color pattern but....

That's a nice pattern but does it make any difference? I have occasional run ins with birds and have thought about getting a color pattern but....

Thats kind of what I was getting at, I am told that apparently (sea)gulls don't like eyes looking at them as an example. Also I wondered if the so called "danger" colours we see in nature such as yellow or red might act as a deterrent.

I don't know if you checked it out yet but the pattern the guy used in the topic I posted to search had a bit of red in it...

I don't think birds give a hoot about the cosmetic appearance of a drone. The drone itself almost certainly causes some degree of anxiety or attention from our feathered friends though. My concern about using skins would be that they might have some screening effect for the internal sensors such as GPS receiving antenna, compass, signal antennas etc, which would surely work more efficiently without any stickers on the outside of the drone.

We had 1 incident that really put this in perspective for me in regards to color :

A Seagul spots me from about 400 ft away than circles around a half mile or so and comes directly at me for a grab on.

It was the last seagul to fly by that made the calculated circle which i was watching the whole time , very deliberate path to fake an attack , he could have easily taken me out but changed his mind at the last second.

Video is slowed down. the fact that it came up from behind was interesting and thought provoking about being out way over the lake as I would have never seen him coming from behind.

Phantomrain.org
coal

I don't think birds give a hoot about the cosmetic appearance of a drone. The drone itself almost certainly causes some degree of anxiety or attention from our feathered friends though. My concern about using skins would be that they might have some screening effect for the internal sensors such as GPS receiving antenna, compass, signal antennas etc, which would surely work more efficiently without any stickers on the outside of the drone.

Right about the hoot but wrong about the skins and wet suits.
You have to keep in mind that you can fly your drone right from inside your car windows and the 1 or 2 mm of material cannot effect the GPS.

Wet Suits and Skins are designed to work around the sensors and in no way effect the drone.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for you Mavic.
Coal

This story popped up on my feed and it made me think of this thread!

61PzeKl8BaL._SR500%2C500_.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using MavicPilots mobile app

I would try the "bee" paint, maybe yellow and black stripes can remember a "dangerous" bee/hornet for a bird!?...
BTW my drone never been shot down by a bird yet...

This story popped up on my feed and it made me think of this thread!

View attachment 79127

Sent from my SM-N960U using MavicPilots mobile app

Ounce upon a time i would have thought that these might have helped but if the Sea Gull comes from Behind and they will as I have shown , 1234 better be scary . lol

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
My 2 cents worth. I found that bright Blue skin helps immensely but not always. I still had big seagulls (mollymauks) get upset and circle and squark at my Mavic pro, then I discovered by turning off my bottom ultrasonic sensors, used for landing protection, so I could hand catch, then the mollymauks and seagulls as well as other birds left me well alone. Now I fly at the beach all the time drone fishing and never get harassed or bothered by seagulls. So along with Blue colour but more importantly the ultrasonic sensors disabled I beleave it is the high pitch sound of the ultrasonics that may be the cause that irritates birds and causes their attacks or assertive behavior.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123