DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slight drift

Shoruk3n

Reactions
Hi all! So my Mavic drifts to the left if flown before GPS lock. Once GPS is acquired it holds quite steady though. Is this something I should be concerned with? I don't want to end up dealing with a faulty accelerometer (or whatever is responsible) in the future. I've also noticed a slight leftward drift while flying at speed up high through FPV. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Its pretty normal. On any non gps-lock multicopter, they tend to drift and not hold position even with the lightest winds. At least the MP left stick returns to center unlike my spektrum or futaba tx's that required constant altitude adjustments not to crash.

I would probably re calibrate rc sticks to ensure that you are getting the best hover performance.

Reactions: Andrew F
Yeah, try flying a entry level/learner drone and see how much drift you get. I don't think first time Mavic owners appreciate how stable this thing is.

Its pretty normal. On any non gps-lock multicopter, they tend to drift and not hold position even with the lightest winds. At least the MP left stick returns to center unlike my spektrum or futaba tx's that required constant altitude adjustments not to crash.

I would probably re calibrate rc sticks to ensure that you are getting the best hover performance.

Not the sticks since it stops drifting when locked on gps

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Not the sticks since it stops drifting when locked on gps

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Well any multirotor will stop drifting once gps lock is initiated. I used to tune my PID's first without gps lock because you need to ensure that the craft is hovering well without any kind of flight mode turned on. I would recommend OP to recalibrate and if his problem still persists then we can move forward with solutions. I can tell you know how many times I chased a drifting issue and spent hours adjusting PID's only to find that I stupidly forgot to calibrate the tx.

have you looked at or tried to re calibrate the RC sticks?

I have not recalibrated the sticks, I have however checked that all input for all axes is a 0% when centered and at 100% when fully deflected.

I have tested in different environments (outdoors/garage/indoors) with no wind and had similar results. The drift is always to the aircraft's left, regardless of wind direction. Furthermore, the velocity seems constant (near as I can tell). This, to me, feels like a situation where a sensor is not functioning properly.

Yeah, try flying a entry level/learner drone and see how much drift you get. I don't think first time Mavic owners appreciate how stable this thing is.

Been flying 3D helis for years, I'm intimately familiar with drift and stability. This isn't my first quad either, my first was a Syma X5C, then a P3A. I tell my gf they're a family :p

Well any multirotor will stop drifting once gps lock is initiated. I used to tune my PID's first without gps lock because you need to ensure that the craft is hovering well without any kind of flight mode turned on. I would recommend OP to recalibrate and if his problem still persists then we can move forward with solutions. I can tell you know how many times I chased a drifting issue and spent hours adjusting PID's only to find that I stupidly forgot to calibrate the tx.

Recalibrate sticks, not the IMU, correct? What you describe about tuning without GPS very much makes sense to me.

yes, sticks only. But if you want to rule out the VPS sensors as well, hook up to a computer and perform a calibration via the DJI assistant and it will let you know if there is a sensor issue.

I have tested in different environments (outdoors/garage/indoors) with no wind and had similar results. The drift is always to the aircraft's left, regardless of wind direction. Furthermore, the velocity seems constant (near as I can tell). This, to me, feels like a situation where a sensor is not functioning properly.

Ok with that information I would agree with you that it is a possible sensor issue. My only other thought was some sort of manufacturing deviation but that does not seem plausible. Have you tried re-calibrating the sensors?

Ok with that information I would agree with you that it is a possible sensor issue. My only other thought was some sort of manufacturing deviation but that does not seem plausible. Have you tried re-calibrating the sensors?

I used Assistant 2 and did a recalibration of the forward/downward VPS as well as a recalibration of the sticks, but haven't had a chance yet to fly. I'll post my results ASAP.

I have this exact same issue, I'm on the latest firmware. I've also calibrated the IMU, controller, and of course the compass before each flight. The drift is still there and seems to be the only thing off balance, everything else is fine so I kind of just ignore it.

have you happened to switch blades from side to side to see if that has any impact....

Well my experience with drift is not related to the Mavic but in the past I have always had drift - in one direction or the other. The one thing I would typically do is adjust the trim on my tx to compensate for the drift direction but I am not sure that is adjustable with the Mavic.

If it helps any, I flew in atti mode a few weeks ago and remember pretty clearly that I had a forward left drift (MP facing away from me) that had me proactively hold the right stick over to keep it steady. Im not sure how much more dramatic your drift was compared to mine though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_