DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow MPH in Sport mode as the sun sets

HEFFAE

Reactions
Hello fellow MA2'rs, I'm coming from a Yuneec and still learning about my new MA2 - wondering if I can get some help/feedback on a couple questions since I'm done waiting on DJI support hold forever with no answer, pick a question and please help.

1 - Do the round foamies that go over the propeller posts serve any purpose when not in use, I take the props off when it's back in the case?
2 - My max distance seems to be about 2,800 yards (about 1.5 miles) I know this seems to be an issue for some on here. quite high up on a hill in a Suburb of Cincinnati and will put my MA2 at a ceiling of 390 feet with a few trees in my yard, wondering if I should experiment with range in a different location with no obstructions before worrying? 1.5 miles seems somewhat limited for this.
3 - During the day in sport mode she'll fly around 41 mph, as the sun goes down it drops to around 24 mph - what causes this?
4 - Am I doing this procedure correctly. I boot up everything and wait a minute with my Android data connected to see if there are any updates. Then I turn everything off, put my Android into (airplane mode) then reboot the controller and then the MA2.

Thank you for your tips and responses - the help vids out there are great and have helped, now I'm at the fine tuning parts of info I can't get answers too.
~ Jeff

1. No need to take off props when storing
2. Trees are particularly bad for transmission, if there's trees between you and the drone then it's normal to have range issues
3. That's weird as sport mode should disable collision sensors so sun shouldn't be an issue.... can you try manually disabling obstacle avoidance and APAS and see if that fixes it?
4. Not sure what you're trying to do here. Why all this dance?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
1. No need to take off props when storing
2. Trees are particularly bad for transmission, if there's trees between you and the drone then it's normal to have range issues
3. That's weird as sport mode should disable collision sensors so sun shouldn't be an issue.... can you try manually disabling obstacle avoidance and APAS and see if that fixes it?
4. Not sure what you're trying to do here. Why all this dance?

Thank you Ice,
Good to know about #1 and 2.
I will try that for #3 this evening, love getting some sunset pics but returning defaults to turtle speed.
I want to get the updated software notice before I fly, but I've heard and read that we should put it in airplane mode when flying. What do you do, any advice will help.

3 - During the day in sport mode she'll fly around 41 mph, as the sun goes down it drops to around 24 mph - what causes this?[/QUOTE]
The usual answer to mystery flight incidents is post your recorded flight data.
It will probably show exactly what the issue was.
Are you certain the drone was in Sport Mode?

where is the google map loading from?
It gets downloaded from the internet, but once it's downloaded (or cached) you could fly in airplane mode or not and it wouldn't make any difference.

It gets downloaded from the internet, but once it's downloaded (or cached) you could fly in airplane mode or not and it wouldn't make any difference.
how do you make it cache it? i tried this a few times and i had blank map.

I haven't used the Fly app to know if DJI might have removed map caching.
But after you have the map on your screen it shouldn't matter if you have internet data or not.

I’m pretty sure you misread what I said :)

That's what can happen if you don't quote the post that you were replying to. I assumed it was the previous post. So you didn't answer the question in that post (are you sure that you were in sport mode?) and you didn't post a flight log, without which it's all rather pointless speculation.

That's what can happen if you don't quote the post that you were replying to. I assumed it was the previous post. So you didn't answer the question in that post (are you sure that you were in sport mode?) and you didn't post a flight log, without which it's all rather pointless speculation.

You might be confusing me with the OP :) I was initially just replying to him saying that he always flies in airplane mode

You might be confusing me with the OP :) I was initially just replying to him saying that he always flies in airplane mode

I'm not doing very well on this thread. I'll just go and make some tea instead.

Hello fellow MA2'rs, I'm coming from a Yuneec and still learning about my new MA2 - wondering if I can get some help/feedback on a couple questions since I'm done waiting on DJI support hold forever with no answer, pick a question and please help.

1 - Do the round foamies that go over the propeller posts serve any purpose when not in use, I take the props off when it's back in the case?
2 - My max distance seems to be about 2,800 yards (about 1.5 miles) I know this seems to be an issue for some on here. quite high up on a hill in a Suburb of Cincinnati and will put my MA2 at a ceiling of 390 feet with a few trees in my yard, wondering if I should experiment with range in a different location with no obstructions before worrying? 1.5 miles seems somewhat limited for this.
3 - During the day in sport mode she'll fly around 41 mph, as the sun goes down it drops to around 24 mph - what causes this?
4 - Am I doing this procedure correctly. I boot up everything and wait a minute with my Android data connected to see if there are any updates. Then I turn everything off, put my Android into (airplane mode) then reboot the controller and then the MA2.

Thank you for your tips and responses - the help vids out there are great and have helped, now I'm at the fine tuning parts of info I can't get answers too.
~ Jeff

I got tricked into thinking I was in Sport mode because I left it in Sport mode when I shut the drone off and than picked it up the next day thinking I was still in sport mode but you have to switch to normal and than back to SPORT mode on the controller.

This got me a few times.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain

I have been following this thread out of interest, and this direction it has gone is a bit of a side note, but one worth a reply.

If you open the Fly app or Go app on your flight device prior to flight, with internet access, go to the map and load in the area where you plan to fly. Zoom all the way in and let it load, and slowly zoom out to capture it all with no voids. Airplane Mode or not, the map will be there when you fly, BUT, do not shut down the app. If you shut down the app, it is all lost until internet access is regained.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom