DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller compatible?

No chance

Right now, according to DJI it is ONLY compatible with the standard RC-N1 remote and the new "DJI RC" with the screen that they released with it.

They may or may not add others later, although it seems very unlikely that the Smart Controller will be made compatible as the Mavic 3 is not and DJI has likely abandoned adding new drones to it. I suspect the RC Pro will be eventually and the Smart Controller will not be.

Reactions: Gary R and Coskier
Technically yes, with reducing to O2 but highly unlikely to happen, especially they release the DJI RC for a reasonable amount in bundle.

Hi all,

Just wondering the same, I have the Smart Controller below which I use with my Mavic Air 2, but can't find if it's compatible with the new Mini 3 Pro as I could save quite a bit for not having the controller in the package.

It states Mini 2 so guessing Mini 3 Pro would be?

DJI Smart Controller.JPG

Hi all,

Just wondering the same, I have the Smart Controller below which I use with my Mavic Air 2, but can't find if it's compatible with the new Mini 3 Pro as I could save quite a bit for not having the controller in the package.

It states Mini 2 so guessing Mini 3 Pro would be?

View attachment 149052
No, as already noted above it is not compatible at this time and is not likely to be in the future, but we can’t say for sure. There is a full write up of controllers and their compatibility here Controller Terminology and Compatibility Level Setting.

Thanks,
I did search on here, but it was a little confusing at to whether it was or not, as stated Mini 2 is so strange they wouldn't with the Mini 3?
I'll have a read through the link you posted as only just joined, would like to get the Mini 3 purely for holidays as it would be easier to transport than the Air 2 Flight Case.

Thanks again :)

It is most likely not a technical issue, DJI could certainly make it possible as with the Air 2S with some sort of fallback. Ultimately, it's all software based radio. But they won't likely put the effort into coding but rather sell you a product ready to go (sadly).

Reactions: Coskier and Shenga
This issue with the Smart Controller is it is pretty maxed out processor-wise. The chip set was a decent mid-range processor that initially was released in 2016 (although not in the Smart Controller for another 2 years). Just like phones fall off of the fly app compatibility list as the drones and app do more, the Smart Controller is reaching its max. Since the Mini 3 Pro is probably not doing "more" than the Air 2S from a processing standpoint, it probably could work ok. But it would likely be the last of the DJI drones to work with the Smart Controller (and they skipped the Mavic 3, which is probably too much for the Smart Controller) so DJI needs to decide if they want to make the investment in supporting a controller they don't even make/sell anymore with a new drone which seems unlikely. Maybe we'll be surprised in a few months....

Everyone should realize the RC Pro is going to be in the same boat at some point. The RC Pro is starting from a better spot (a top of the line chip instead of mid range) but down the line (maybe 4-5 years) it will also be too old to support what drones are doing then, and it will not work with whatever future drones are coming out at that point. The life of phones,tablets and smart controllers just isn't very long when doing very advanced things. You can get email and surf the internet on them for a long time, but there is a shelf life for this high end processing stuff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661