DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smooth Yaw in Sport mode

Hello!
So shutting off obstacle avoidance with give you some extra speed? Do you know why this is?
Thanks!
Jay
The detection distance of the forward sensors limits the speed to about 22 mph. If you went faster than that your mavic wouldn't be able to stop before it hit the obstacle. With OA turned off you can get about 10 mph more in p-mode.

Reactions: Jaysjob
The detection distance of the forward sensors limits the speed to about 22 mph. If you went faster than that your mavic wouldn't be able to stop before it hit the obstacle. With OA turned off you can get about 10 mph more in p-mode.

Wow! I didn’t know that. It makes sense! Thank you!!

Not allowed to discuss about parameters here. My advice: if you don't need the OA, it will do you more good to switch it off rather than leave it on.

I understand. That’s a very cool little trick! I’ve been testing/practicing with different maneuvers that only work in Sport mode. I’m very anxious now to try turning off the OA and seeing how close I can get to reproducing them in P mode. Thanks a lot!

I've tried to disable OA and follow in P-Mode, with an intermediate YAW gain sensitivity (70-100), and it seems to do the job. It doesn't accelerate as fast as in sport mode, but compared to P-mode with OA, it's day and night !
I still have to get used to how the MAVIC behaves compared to the P4 (****, I miss how smooth and easy it was !), but I think with a little practice it will do the job.
Thanks for your help guys ;)

I've tried to disable OA and follow in P-Mode, with an intermediate YAW gain sensitivity (70-100), and it seems to do the job. It doesn't accelerate as fast as in sport mode, but compared to P-mode with OA, it's day and night !
I still have to get used to how the MAVIC behaves compared to the P4 (****, I miss how smooth and easy it was !), but I think with a little practice it will do the job.
Thanks for your help guys ;)
Personally I would not do it through Gain Sensitivity though. I think it is better to leave the Gain at 100 (default). It's better to adjust it through Sport Exp (go to Exp settings and flick to Sport mode). Default is .50, you can lower it to .20 or even .15 for more sluggish/smooth Sport yaw.

Personally I would not do it through Gain Sensitivity though. I think it is better to leave the Gain at 100 (default). It's better to adjust it through Sport Exp (go to Exp settings and flick to Sport mode). Default is .50, you can lower it to .20 or even .15 for more sluggish/smooth Sport yaw.

In default "locked version" sport mode, even lowering Gain to 50 AND the Yaw exp to the minimum value (I think it is .10) still doesn't give me satisfying results, YAW turning is way too aggressive.
In normal mode, I find tuning the Gain sensitivity rather than the exp gives a better result, at least in my case... I shall give it another try some day anyway.

In default "locked version" sport mode, even lowering Gain to 50 AND the Yaw exp to the minimum value (I think it is .10) still doesn't give me satisfying results, YAW turning is way too aggressive.
In normal mode, I find tuning the Gain sensitivity rather than the exp gives a better result, at least in my case... I shall give it another try some day anyway.
After I gave it some more thoughts, I think you are right. Reducing the gain on Yaw is ok. And in your case, reducing both the Yaw Exp (make sure it's the Sport Exp and not the Normal Exp) and Yaw Gain is indeed the best you can do.

I believe for most people, what oscaro did (see post #26) would be the best solution. Even the parameter change I gave to some people is only half the solution as there is another thing that need to be changed too, but I haven't tested it myself. I am not sure I am going to test it as I have other solutions should I face a situation like the OP, but by forum rules it's not for discussion here.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

As I mentionned in my presentation post, I'm used to fly my drone following wakeboarders. I previously was flying with a P4, which I sold for a Mavic.

I went for a fly this weekend, following a friend of mine. I've set the drone into Sport mode, since regular mode isn't fast enough to efficiently follow the guys. What I was surprised with, compared to the Phantom 4, is how rough and hard the YAW turns are ! I've set all the settings which made sense to me to the lowest value available (Sensitivity to 50 and Exp to 0.10), but the drone still turns too fast ! Moreover, after a quick YAW turn, the drone seems to knida "lose the horizon", becomes not "parallel", and slowly returns back to normal, which is very annoying !

Anyone having this issue, and solved it ?

Cheers,
Oscar
Please could you sent me an PM in that issue to

Kind regards
#
Thomas

Wow! I didn’t know that. It makes sense! Thank you!!

Two quick points:
1. Shutting off the Obstacle Avoidance sensors on the Pro will massively increase your speed in Normal Mode (ie no need to go into Sports Mode). And obviously this is not changing locked parametres in any way, just a simple change in settings.

2. Video footage is massively impacted by how smooth you move the drone and gimbal, and these settings are easy to change and have a huge effect.

These two videos should help you out:

Disabling Obstacle Avoidance:

And Smoother yaw and gimbal settings:

Reactions: Jaysjob
Can you set the Yaw Limit for Sports Mode too or only the EXP setting in parameter settings?

Can you set the Yaw Limit for Sports Mode too or only the EXP setting in parameter settings?
I believe the Yaw Endpoint applies to both Sports and P mode; I'll have a play later and check.... Ian

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52