DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Snorkellers face federal crime after drone captures interaction with dolphins in Hawaii

This article seems to be another case of a reporter looking to hype media content with descriptive wording that doesn’t fit what actually happened.
I don’t see“aggressive“ behavior in the actions of the swimmers and certainly don’t see any form of this group trying to contain the the dolphins.

Reactions: Papa Beach
Could it be “fake news”? I could understand “bothering” or even “harassing”. Either way, I think it requires a reprimand and a teachable moment with a more serious penalty if it happens again.
BTW, I would invest in a set of polarizing filters for the drone

Reactions: Starz
At least it's plus that the article wasn't complaining about the use of a drone to capture the footage.

It was the swimmers who were violating the law. not the drone operator. Or at least I didn't see it referenced if it was.

I saw some swimmers excited about racing some dolphins , boats do it all the time. I did not see any real harassment . Maybe a Warning to allow more distance was all that was needed.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
The swimmers were not racing the dolphins. Boats do not chase the spinner dolphins.

Associated Press said:
To the untrained eye, the dolphins can appear to be awake during the day as they are swimming but may be sleeping even as they manoeuvre through the water.

They rest half their brains and keep the other awake to surface and breathe.

The 45 metre rule was enforced in 2021 amid concerns the nocturnal mammals were not getting the rest they needed to forage for food at night due to the number of tourists approaching them.

Here in Oz, the drone operator would be in trouble more than the swimmers most likely. for flying too close to cetaceans. This, even though there are studies showing these creatures, including whales, aren't bothered by nearby drones at all.

edit typo

Last edited:
It is my understanding that
'drones' are not permitted anywhere near Hanauma Bay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer