DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So everyone films in 4k/2.7k what do you use for post edit?

ChopSticks

Reactions
Looks like it's recommended to film in 4k/2.7k D-log which results in a pretty flat picture right off the card, what does everyone use for post production?

What's the easiest quickest way to downscale to 1080? I've looked at Premiere and Da Vinci's solutions but it feels like it still takes ages to downscale a 5-10min video.

Using windows photos can trim the clips pretty quickly to then downscale a little faster, but for some reason when resaving 24fps footage it saves with 30fps?

When i go to export from FCP X it asks if i want to downscale to 1080p. Usually i'll just leave it native, and keep what i shot in.

i using Final Cut Pro , but i thing this software is for Mac platforms only.... Very quick and very easy!

I also use Premiere nowadays, and find it quite quick to render down to 1080p for YouTube etc. Depends on your hardware of course. Another one I've used is Filmora, which is extraordinarily quick.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I also use Premiere nowadays, and find it quite quick to render down to 1080p for YouTube etc. Depends on your hardware of course. Another one I've used is Filmora, which is extraordinarily quick.

Yeah I'm on a Surface Pro 4 i7 while abroad so not necessarily prime hardware. Also isn't compatible with FCPX

Guess I'm just trying to find the easiest way to trim 4k video without messing up the FPS. The Windows Photos app does it almost instantaneously (but changes FPS) and if I can find another app that does the same it would greatly reduce render/optimizing times as I'll just be importing very short clips to eventually compile instead of bunch of long clips that still need to be scrubbed and trimmed

Yeah I'm on a Surface Pro 4 i7 while abroad so not necessarily prime hardware. Also isn't compatible with FCPX

Guess I'm just trying to find the easiest way to trim 4k video without messing up the FPS. The Windows Photos app does it almost instantaneously (but changes FPS) and if I can find another app that does the same it would greatly reduce render/optimizing times as I'll just be importing very short clips to eventually compile instead of bunch of long clips that still need to be scrubbed and trimmed

Yup, I used to spend more time editing than flying until I got the hang of it. If all you want initially is a quick way to render down, Filmora is a good option though, cheap too, and I think there's a demo option so you can test it. It uses your graphic card (if you've got one) really efficiently.

Quick and maybe dirty is Handbrake to convert containers/formats and re-size. It has a lot of advanced settings but does a pretty good default. I need to learn more Davinci Resolve for sure, esp colour grading.

I've been shooting 2.7K/24 but might up that to 30fps for smoother turns. I've damped the yaw down quite a bit but will probably cut it a little more.

Reactions: PowerT1998
I use Cyberlink Power Directer15. Amazon $65. I shoot at 2.7K but files are huge so it is slow unless you have a newer machine with big video card and Intel I7. Make sure your video FPS matches the project rate or it will be real jerky. Love the clarity of 2.7 (or 4k) on the big screen.

I only downscale when doing the final export. I'll edit in Premiere in 4K, I drag all my clips onto a timeline then 'Render In to Out' to generate previews for all the clips so it's quick to do the edit. I find it quicker to work with those cached preview files than transcoding all the 4K clips into a smaller format. I'll then export my edit as an XML to Resolve for grading, then either output direct from Resolve, or export as separate clips with an XML back to Premiere and then export through that or Media Encoder.

Also, I'd say the consensus is to shoot in Art rather than D-Log as the latter is deemed too flat for the quality of the Mavic footage, particularly with the lowly 60Mbps data rate for 4K video.

Yup, I used to spend more time editing than flying until I got the hang of it. If all you want initially is a quick way to render down, Filmora is a good option though, cheap too, and I think there's a demo option so you can test it. It uses your graphic card (if you've got one) really efficiently.

I use Cyberlink Power Directer15. Amazon $65. I shoot at 2.7K but files are huge so it is slow unless you have a newer machine with big video card and Intel I7. Make sure your video FPS matches the project rate or it will be real jerky. Love the clarity of 2.7 (or 4k) on the big screen.

Quick and maybe dirty is Handbrake to convert containers/formats and re-size. It has a lot of advanced settings but does a pretty good default. I need to learn more Davinci Resolve for sure, esp colour grading.

I've been shooting 2.7K/24 but might up that to 30fps for smoother turns. I've damped the yaw down quite a bit but will probably cut it a little more.

I'll have to look into FIlmora, Handbreak, and Cyberlink, currently trying to exhaust all free options first. Just saw some YT videos on Microsoft Movie Maker that might do the trimming job, and 1080 output since it doesn't support 4k output, but it looks like it has to convert to WMV first? Need to see if SP4 even comes with MMM first when I get home

I only downscale when doing the final export. I'll edit in Premiere in 4K, I drag all my clips onto a timeline then 'Render In to Out' to generate previews for all the clips so it's quick to do the edit. I find it quicker to work with those cached preview files than transcoding all the 4K clips into a smaller format. I'll then export my edit as an XML to Resolve for grading, then either output direct from Resolve, or export as separate clips with an XML back to Premiere and then export through that or Media Encoder.

Also, I'd say the consensus is to shoot in Art rather than D-Log as the latter is deemed too flat for the quality of the Mavic footage, particularly with the lowly 60Mbps data rate for 4K video.

How long does the Render In to Out feature take? with let's say 5min 4k clip? and what kind of hardware setup are you using?

How does Resolve handle the XML export? do you still need to optimize in Resolve?

Lastly what benefiti do you get by exporting through Media Encoder in lieu of PP/Resolve?

Art is currently not available with DJIGO4 and didn't D-Log just get updated with the latest firmware that provides a much better dynamic range?

How long does the Render In to Out feature take? with let's say 5min 4k clip? and what kind of hardware setup are you using?

How does Resolve handle the XML export? do you still need to optimize in Resolve?

Lastly what benefiti do you get by exporting through Media Encoder in lieu of PP/Resolve?

Art is currently not available with DJIGO4 and didn't D-Log just get updated with the latest firmware that provides a much better dynamic range?

I'm on a mid-2011 iMac, so getting on for 6 years old, a 3 minute 4k clip takes around 4 minutes to render. The caching lead time isn't ideal but it makes editing so much easier and I'm happy to set it going and go off and do something else in the mean-time.

Resolve has various options for exporting including exporting an XML alongside individual clips.

Exporting through Media Encoder is no different to Premiere, that's just the workflow I'm used to. I've only done the one edit with the Mavic so far so I'm still determining the optimum workflow with PPro and Resolve, my reason for taking the edit back to PPro after grading was I figured PPro would do a better job with the time-remapped clips than Resolve, but I'd have to test that further.

Art profile is back in the latest updated for Go4, otherwise you could set it in the original Go app and it would be remembered in Go4. You are correct about the updated D-Log though so it will be interesting to see if that's improved enough to be preferable to the Art preset.

The quickest for me is iMovie. Fast edit and render. For D-Log footage, I really like DaVinci Resolve and it renders quickly as well, the time consuming part is optimizing the media prior to editing.

Just got handbrake, 6-7 min 4k video taking ~30mins to downscale :( think a trimming solution would have to be the first part of the workflow

Handbrake is thorough - it ain't fast. Even on a quad-i7 HT at 3.9 GHz.

I think I read somewhere that it does not use the video processor on the computer but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Last edited:
Handbrake is thurough - it ain't fast. Even on a quad-i7 HT at 3.9 GHz.

I think I read somewhere that it does not use the video processor on the computer but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Yeah I need something "quick and dirty," I'm going to be on the road for the next month and won't be stationed long enough to downscale everything. Not to mention at that rate I might as well just downscale in post since it takes about the same time. Hopefully someone has a scrubbing/trimming solution. Guess I'll try to record in 30 seconds clips in the meantime

I have tried Davinci Resolve and have been very disappointed in the rendered video quality. I have played with many of the settings but I always end up with very poor footage after the render process. I believe I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. I start out with very good, clear, 4k footage and even if I keep all the settings maxed out for a 4k render, I end up with sub-par footage that is sometimes double the file size as the raw video!!! I don't understand this stuff I guess.

Hi all,
I've been filming from my Mavic Pro, then compiling clips into a movie with the DJI GO4 app.
I'm then trying to colour grade post prod with DaVinci Resolve, but the playback from the DJI GO4 compilation has frame rates all over the place and it won't play back or edit well at all.
Help!
How do I fix this, to be able to colour grade a smooth playing clip produced by GO4, in Resolve?!
Help, please!

Does anyone use iMovie to edit footage? If so curious what color profile and color style you are using do to limited color grading

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21