DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So Illegal

Firstly - all your examples are transportation, not hobby, and, even if they were considered hobby, almost entirely endangered the participants, not others. That's false equivalence. Secondly - general aviation is heavily regulated as you point out, in contrast to hobby sUAS which is barely regulated at all - no training required, no test to pass, and very limited ways to enforce rules with no tracking. And, to cap all that, zero direct risk to the hobbyists themselves, unless they manage to crash it into themselves, which promotes exactly the kind of recklessness that we see here. At least private pilots have a very personal stake in the outcome of their flights.

And in what way was I being argumentative? I was responding to what I regard as a flawed and untenable position, and was met with inapplicable generalities. And in terms of people minimizing this issue, the poster that I was responding to, who wrote "Hobbyist hurt, and kill people every day. Its a fact of life and we live with it.", was doing what, exactly, if not attempting to minimize it?
Many of these "Private Flights are not just Transportation" If it was it would have been lumped under commercial. The point I was making is even with heavy restrictions, and training, we still live with danger. I personally accept the risks, when I see one of these "private operators" flying over populated areas with a device that could fail or crash if they did something silly.

Again, I am all for regulations, I am all for height restrictions, I am even for distance restrictions without training. I am all for geo-fencing as well. What I do not want to see is restriction put into place that hamper our ability to safely enjoy this hobby.

I actually read the initial post by the pilot on a Facebook page. He said that he was flying in class G space and there were not TFR's and he was well below the aircraft with a zoom. I have no idea if this is true or false so don't shoot the messenger. I already see that the posse has already found him guilty and has their rope ready. I do not pretend to have the facts in order to pronounce him guilty of a crime but IMHO certainly a Darwin Award regardless.

Reactions: JHAres
I actually read the initial post by the pilot on a Facebook page. He said that he was flying in class G space and there were not TFR's and he was well below the aircraft with a zoom. I have no idea if this is true or false so don't shoot the messenger. I already see that the posse has already found him guilty and has their rope ready. I do not pretend to have the facts in order to pronounce him guilty of a crime but IMHO certainly a Darwin Award regardless.

I'm sure that once he explains to the FBI and FAA that he was nowhere near those aircraft then everything will be just fine.

Has this video been broadcast on the major networks? I can imagine the furor if the WH or Congress latches on to this. Our drones will be reduced to door stops before next weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: droneloverair
Many of these "Private Flights are not just Transportation" If it was it would have been lumped under commercial. The point I was making is even with heavy restrictions, and training, we still live with danger. I personally accept the risks, when I see one of these "private operators" flying over populated areas with a device that could fail or crash if they did something silly.

General aviation is not commercial aviation - that doesn't make it a hobby - unless you regard driving your personal vehicle as hobby use.
Again, I am all for regulations, I am all for height restrictions, I am even for distance restrictions without training. I am all for geo-fencing as well. What I do not want to see is restriction put into place that hamper our ability to safely enjoy this hobby.

That's where you lose me. You are for all those kinds of regulation - no argument there. So can you be more specific about the kind of regulation that you don't want to see?

Here is a video (NOT MINE) on the subject that I thought somewhat interesting on whether or not it's fake.
The close flyover does look suspect but if it is edited, he/she/they went to a lot of effort to put the props in the side of the final frames of the pass video where you see the wingman re-appear to give the impression it was shot with a drone. But the contrails look very "Photoshoppy" as does the area in the distance where they came from. The pan almost looks shot using a smooth tripod head instead of a turn of the drone. But I'd have to agree with your source, it looks to be from a drone. Whether it was cropped in Final Cut or whatever program to make the jets look closer, someone will have to check the original footage. Either way, certainly bad judgment to either actually do it or pretend to have done it.

Reactions: JHAres
I would let you explain that to the widow of the pilot had there been a collision.
Never mind the relatives of those killed when the aircraft hit a crowded urban space.

It only needs to happen once for a total ban on drones.

Right. But let me explain.

We love to fly responibly. But there will always be the 1percenters am i correct. They dont come around often.

Its like with cars. People drive their cars but there will be more than 1 percent that wants to drive wrecklessly yes they never ban the car or vehicle motorcycle?

Like i said before. I am against the person for filming the airshow that way please stop flaming me.

My complaint is that the regulations wouldnt be too strict especially here in EU to the point that we flying drones is not fun anymore.

Reactions: Romonaga
So no actual examples then? And I really don't think any of those categories is in remotely the same league as bringing down a manned aircraft with an inexpensive recreational UAV (the subject of this thread), even if they are happening.

The opposite is thesame dont you think?

It wouldnt be in thesame category an expensive car or motorcyle kill or injure a priceless human eing or animal?

Got a question.

If in fact that he flied in a not NFZ zone and the airshow forgot to put a temporary NFZ on that area, was he still breaking the law?

i got a question, are you just talking to your self ?

Ok guess you were.
Guys let’s get this back to a sensible discussion and do try
and stay as true to what this guy did or I really don’t see no need in this continuing.

The close flyover does look suspect but if it is edited, he/she/they went to a lot of effort to put the props in the side of the final frames of the pass video where you see the wingman re-appear to give the impression it was shot with a drone. But the contrails look very "Photoshoppy" as does the area in the distance where they came from. The pan almost looks shot using a smooth tripod head instead of a turn of the drone. But I'd have to agree with your source, it looks to be from a drone. Whether it was cropped in Final Cut or whatever program to make the jets look closer, someone will have to check the original footage. Either way, certainly bad judgment to either actually do it or pretend to have done it.
It's seems that a pipe or Hand rail is in the video which makes me wonder if he was on top of a building. When you factor in the pan shot if from a hand held camera (or ground camera as the above video referenced, it would be difficult to not get the tall buildings in that shot otherwise. If you look at google earth and compare the two videos you can narrow down the camera location to a fairly small area in the heart of downtown.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos