DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, is Anyone Flying Their Mavic FPV Since the Update?

My Goggles2/ RC Motion 2 combo arrived today.
Charged it all up and turned on the RC and Goggles (not my aircraft) and plugged the Goggles via USB-C to USB-C into my tablet (Galaxy tab S8) which has DJI Fly installed and updated.
DJI fly prompted for action perfectly every step and all updated, linked to eachother, and finally to my Classic, which prompted me to bind or (link only for 5 flights) due to refresh care and I chose to bind it. I can easily change back to my RC-PRO.
One thing I learned so far is that if have the usb connection to a device running DJI fly, that device mirrors what the goggles have on screen, excellent as an external monitor so others can see what you see. The external device will not control on screen, only the Goggles do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Reactions: Torque
anybody want to talk a little about the FPV experience for people who have never flown FPV?

I was curious about it so I hoped around to some links yesterday, but a $650 price tag was discouraging, especially with all the news about potential restrictions being levied on DJI drones

* if you are wearing the goggles and flying FPV can you toggle between a clear screen and one with telemetry that will show battery level, height from home point, distance, etc?

* is obstacle avoidance still active under FPV?....I'm assuming it is but not under sport mode. I'm also assuming the option in obstacle avoidance needs to be set to 'go around obstacle'?

* is the range of video transmission the same as to the standard RC's? Are the standard RC's a lot more awkward than the stick controller?
How do you toggle the screen view between a clear view and the Telemetry view?

I have all of my equipment (for FPV) and yesterday was my day for multiple test flights on my Avata and my Mavic 3 Classic. Total Fail! Besides being a very windy day, My first test on the Avata with the Motion 2 was a "Remote ID Error" and the engines failed to start, so I came home to research and discovered that one of the may Firmware updates that I had done had enabled Remote ID and you cannot get an engine start without a phone attached to the Goggles. I may get a chance to try again today.

I'm getting the same "Remote ID Error" message as you did, and not wanting to hook my phone to the Goggles 2 I'm looking for a solution or workaround. If you or anyone else finds one could you please let me know. Thanks.

I'm getting the same "Remote ID Error" message as you did, and not wanting to hook my phone to the Goggles 2 I'm looking for a solution or workaround. If you or anyone else finds one could you please let me know. Thanks.
There is none.

Lacking GPS, the Goggles 2 must be connected to a smartphone via USB-C Cable for RID to work.

Reactions: Jeff A
There are two work arounds right now.
Mine: I bought the Integra Gogges so I wouldn't have to tether my phone. I love not having the wires/cables from the phone and the battery to deal with. However I can't switch the battery out on the Integra like I can on the Googles 2.
My flying buddies workaround: He launches with his phone connected, disconnects the phone once in the air. Doesn't affect flight at all, but he does have the red box with "RID error" for his entire flight
This workaround will not be legal after September however, and perhaps not even possible by then.

How do you toggle the screen view between a clear view and the Telemetry view?
I don't know, that's why I was asking

those telemetry numbers don't arrive placed in the video from the drone do they? I'd think they are generated by the app based upon data from the drone

I don't know, that's why I was asking

those telemetry numbers don't arrive placed in the video from the drone do they? I'd think they are generated by the app based upon data from the drone

Correct. The video feed from the drone is clean, just the camera view. The telemetry is transmitted by the drone on a different data channel, and overlayed on the display by the control app (Fly, Litchi, etc.).

I received my Goggles 2 and the Motion Controller on Wednesday. Everything worked fine and I really liked the head tracking option, it works great. I cleared up the Remote ID Error by using the RC Pro to take off, leaving the RC Pro running, and then turning on the goggles. I also discovered by leaving the Motion Controller off you can fly the Mavic with the RC Pro and using the user-defined buttons on the RC Pro you can switch between the cameras and use the zoom feature that works great through the goggles. When I go to land I just turn off the goggles and tap the power button on the RC Pro to light up the screen and then hit the land button on the RC Pro. I'm hoping the Head Tracking option will be enabled using the RC Pro controller in the next update from DJI, fingers crossed.

On another note, I did a transmission test of the goggles and the RC Pro. At 4,000 feet horizontally from goggles to Mavic, the goggles lose signal while the RC Pro is still full signal. The goggles screen starts pixellating around 3,700 feet and goes black around 4,000 feet. The great thing is you still have your home point in the black goggle screen (H) and you can do a U-turn and head back in your direction, around 3,000 feet you require the video transmission from the drone.

I just (finally) tested my new Goggles2 and RC Motion 2 controller. What a cool setup!
I have to admit I was very uncomfortable taking off without being able to see my Mavic 3 Classic but the flight was smooth and perfect. With head tracking enabled you can look around simply by turning your head and you get a surprisingly good view of your surroundings! Flying with one stick is sweet and allows easy maneuvers that are more difficult with a 2 stick RC. My Classic responded perfectly and the Obstacle Avoidance was awesome (first time I actually really tested OA in very tight quarters) and the whole flight was alot of fun. Unfortunately I got none of it on video lol, too focused on learning the new system to even think about pressing record.
I should note, I wear glasses always, progressives and with my right eye being slighty weaker than my left, the adjustable dioptics on the Goggles 2 make it worth every penny. Perfectly clear without my glasses and very comfortable. Money well spent!
Edit: luckily in Canada RID is not an issue (yet) so I had no issues starting up without having to use my RC-PRO.

Last edited:
I have to agree, it's a great setup. The rub is the ability to capture quality video. Theres too much tiny movement that happens with your wrists...This is better suited for photography, I'm thinking, where you can really square up close photos on structures... it shines here.

Honestly, though, we need an official update allowing our normal controller to be used in combination with the Integra and Goggles 2.

I very happy, though, with what we have. It's really a great perspective looking through the goggles. I wear contacts and glasses (I'm nearsighted) and the Integra works great with either.

Last edited:
I just (finally) tested my new Goggles2 and RC Motion 2 controller. What a cool setup!
I have to admit I was very uncomfortable taking off without being able to see my Mavic 3 Classic but the flight was smooth and perfect.
Simply lift up the goggles and wear them on your forehead while you take off. When your high enough to pause and put the goggles on (15 feet), hit the Brake and let the MC hang from your wrist while you put the goggles over your eyes. The drone will stay paused and ignore the movements of the MC until you hit the Brake button again.

This is what I've been doing since I got the FPV two years ago. I won't launch any drone without full 360 situational awareness. People sneak up 😁

Don't have the MC2 yet, and with the joystick the Brake placement is different, but I bet it works the same.

Reactions: Torque and 3rdof5
Simply lift up the goggles and wear them on your forehead while you take off. When your high enough to pause and put the goggles on (15 feet), hit the Brake and let the MC hang from your wrist while you put the goggles over your eyes. The drone will stay paused and ignore the movements of the MC until you hit the Brake button again.

This is what I've been doing since I got the FPV two years ago. I won't launch any drone without full 360 situational awareness. People sneak up 😁

Don't have the MC2 yet, and with the joystick the Brake placement is different, but I bet it works the same.
Great advice! I did lift my goggles to land, no way was I risking my Mavic 3 to FPV only while landing.
I have to say, yes I'm a licensed pilot and my birds are registered with numbers on them, but I have broken rules, VLOS, and height, but only in scenarios where I'm 99% sure I won't be in any other aircraft's way. Safety is always first and foremost on my mind and now that I can fly FPV I have to admit I do feel abit claustrophobic when I can't see my bird. It took me a good year to fully trust my P3P outside of VLOS and over water. I test and retest everything with my birds to trust them. Oh and just so you all know, yes I had a VO on my first flight with Goggles.

Reactions: Jeff A
Ok, a couple of things:
The Integra Goggles are perfect for me and fit just fine with zero light leak with slight adjustment. I wear contacts/glasses and am nearsighted and the included lenses wok perfectly when not wearing contacts.

I was able to connect my RCN1 controller to the drone with the Integra Goggles and although I felt great in this simple accomplishment, I missed the freedom (?) that the Motion Controller 2 and head tracking offered me.

I still have yet to find an acceptable way to film (pics are fine) with the MC2 but I am somehow really liking flying the M3 this way. I can get great pics and really get on top of what Im photographing.

The problem is that as much as I want to use the RCN1, it is not an official way to fly yet. Im highly reluctant to take it away from me any further than my neighborhood. Id like to know if anyone else has used their normal controller with the Goggles and flown with any time and/or distance?

Just wondering if anyone around here has acquired the MC2 and either the Goggles2 or the Integra goggles and flown their Mavic this way?
I'm excited to do so only because I had the og white goggles and the Mavic Pro maybe 5 years ago. I LOVED flying that way. It was a pretty solid feed back then and I cant imagine how much better the tech is now!

I have the MC2 and updated it today and the Integra goggles should be here tomorrow. Anyone else out there flying this way? I know for serious Video, this might not be optimum but for photography and just exploring I can't see how you lose.
Comments, please...
I'm using them but with the mini 3 pro and it's awesome.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
OK, so I wanted to ask a couple questions:

1) Is anyone flying their mavic with goggles AND their RcN1 controller and NOT with the MC2? I know it can be done in the backyard but im wondering if anyone has taken it for any distance this way?

2) If you have the Integra goggles and the MC2 and fly your Mavic, are you noticing any range shortage as compared with just flying your Mavic normally with your controller?

Im starting to think that I dont like the MC2 as much as my normal controller. Imagine that. lol
Also, if there is a huge transmission lapse compared to just the controller, I'm disappointed.

Thank you for your responses.

OK, so I wanted to ask a couple questions:

1) Is anyone flying their mavic with goggles AND their RcN1 controller and NOT with the MC2? I know it can be done in the backyard but im wondering if anyone has taken it for any distance this way?

2) If you have the Integra goggles and the MC2 and fly your Mavic, are you noticing any range shortage as compared with just flying your Mavic normally with your controller?

Im starting to think that I dont like the MC2 as much as my normal controller. Imagine that. lol
Also, if there is a huge transmission lapse compared to just the controller, I'm disappointed.

Thank you for your responses.
I have not tried to fly using the Goggles 2 without the MC2 but I can answer your question about the MC2's range. I got about 1000M away, with some trees in my way, and never lost full signal to the MC2, the Goggles 2 however did started losing signal strength at that distance. I immediately started back when that happened. The MC2 seems to have very good range so far in my testing.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I have not tried to fly using the Goggles 2 without the MC2 but I can answer your question about the MC2's range. I got about 1000M away, with some trees in my way, and never lost full signal to the MC2, the Goggles 2 however did started losing signal strength at that distance. I immediately started back when that happened. The MC2 seems to have very good range so far in my testing.
Interesting, observation. +1

I am leaning towards thinking my Integra goggles have a limited transmission range, also, compared to my RCN1 controller.

My area of usage is on the coastline in Savannah, GA out over the marsh towards the ocean with zero interference of trees or any other visual obstacle. I'm not anywhere near "downtown" where digital interference might be an issue. I'm as open and free flying as you would be in the desert out west.

Yes, my goggles seem to start to drop LONG BEFORE my RCN1 does. I can get nearly 4.5 miles with full bars on the RCN1 with my M3 before I just turn around out of anxiety and the fact that I would have to cross over a huge five lane bridge that is the only access to the beach. I'mm definitely out of sight after 3 miles (with a Firehouse Arc V strobe) at night and pushing it that much further isn't worth the risk.

Meanwhile, the Integra goggles start showing drops in bars at about 3/4 of a mile.. maybe a full mile or so.. this is kind of a disappointment. Especially considering I went and tossed away about $700 on the goggles and controller. I REALLY like the goggles and the view when Im using them, though. I just am starting to feel reluctant about using the lackluster MC2.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne