DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, these high wind warnings...

HomeyJay

Reactions
I get these all the time. I’ve had the MP for 2 weeks here in the UK and nearly every single time I fly, I get the high wind / caution warning. Conditions are still and I’m usually below the tree level when I get the warnings. The retailer suggested different locations other than my house and I got them there too. A few times I had a warning telling me to land immediately when the treetops were not even swaying.
I took it to the coast and when I got there it was windy as hell but I thought “I’m here now so I may as well have a go” and received absolutely no warnings at all!
I’m getting to the stage where I’m just ignoring the warnings but I’m pretty sure that’s a fairly dumbass thing to do..
My big worry is that if something goes wrong and I have to return the craft for a repair under warranty, DJI will just say “not covered, you flew when the craft told you to land.

Can anyone suggest anything that may help?

Not sure about the precise cause of these warnings, but I get them all the time too. Best I can suggest is get an app that's able to tell you wind speed at different altitudes. Official spec says 10 m/s or 22 mph max wind speed is safe to fly in but that's understandably very conservative. The main thing to keep in mind is with high wind speed you need to take heed of the direction, like when sailing, so there's enough battery to make it back, since the app's estimate does not take that into account.

You used to be able to adjust the threshold setting for it using the assistant software but they may have made it harder as you could adjust almost everything else too.
However it really is being affected by wind - I think it starts showing the red box at 15mph
With more serious wind an amber warning scrolls at the top. At that point you can start to lose it especially if obstacle avoidance is on as top speed is much reduced.
You can ignore the red box but if trying to get close to something take care.
The most annoying thing is trying to close it on a smaller screen.

I would suggest uploading one of the logs for a flight where you saw warnings to AirData, to see if their wind algorithm produces high wind speeds. Wind speeds are calculated by both the aircraft FC and AirData by comparing airspeed (or more correctly air velocity) from pitch and roll, with ground velocity from GPS (sensor fusion).

Interesting as I have never had the warnings but I am not on the very latest firmware despite my Mavic being nearly new. This is one of the reasons I would like to be able to switch into ATTI mode as you can so easily feel the wind. I think I am going to do the hack. Don't know how far you are from your nearest airport but they put out real time wind info.

I heard if you fly with the bubble you will not get high wind warnings.

I get these all the time. I’ve had the MP for 2 weeks here in the UK and nearly every single time I fly, I get the high wind / caution warning. Conditions are still and I’m usually below the tree level when I get the warnings. The retailer suggested different locations other than my house and I got them there too. A few times I had a warning telling me to land immediately when the treetops were not even swaying.
I took it to the coast and when I got there it was windy as **** but I thought “I’m here now so I may as well have a go” and received absolutely no warnings at all!
I’m getting to the stage where I’m just ignoring the warnings but I’m pretty sure that’s a fairly dumbass thing to do..
My big worry is that if something goes wrong and I have to return the craft for a repair under warranty, DJI will just say “not covered, you flew when the craft told you to land.

Can anyone suggest anything that may help?

Can't stop them, so I just cancel them whenever they appear (all the time!!). Like you, it's windy almost all the time I fly. Just be aware of the wind direction and speed. The MP handles a fair bit of wind without problem.

This website provides great UAV related data. Winds at whatever altitude you select, GPS availability etc, all based on your location. UAV Forecast
What props are you using? I am purposely running old firmware and have the new quiet/higher efficiency props on my MP. I get the high wind warnings, but also the flashing yellow lights. It flies just fine in a fair amount of wind. Another thread pointed out the yellow lights can be ignored. Where you could get into trouble is if you flew downwind, got low battery or loss of signal and the bird might not have enough power to do an 'RTH'.

Just the normal props that are factory fitted. I’m using an app called “UAV Forecast’ on my iPad and it’s pretty good - gives me accurate wind conditions at varying heights, NFZ etc. It seems accurate.
I’m just worried that DJI will use the wind warnings as an excuse to not warranty the craft should I have to return it at some point - I’ve no experience of their warranty process but when I called support, They just said ‘delete the app, reset the firmware and see what happens’. Going to be doing that today..

Try doing an IMU calibration. It could be a little off.

UAV Forecast (as mentioned) is a good app that will let you see what's going on near where you are. It goes up to 5,000' realistically it is 33', 100' 250' and 500'.

If you are seeing high wind speed at elevation then your alarms are probably accurate.
Another one I like is Ventusky.
Both give wind speed and gust speed at various elevations. Ventusky gives you a graphic around you.

Reactions: HomeyJay
Well, the high wind speeds warnings are usually, in my case, not accurate! Pretty much all the weather apps say that the wind was 6 to 8mph, gusting to 12 or 13mph at 50ft and even in these conditions, I’m getting a warning, sometimes accompanied by the dreaded “land immediately” warning.
This certainly doesn’t happen all the time, just often enough to make me worry that there’s a problem!
Friend of mine showed up with a Mavic Air and that thing gave no warnings at all when mine was proclaiming imminent disaster!

Great wind, High risk of getting fly away tendencies. Be secure and keep secure invest for a product that will keep you safe at all times.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaffainNL