DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some recent shots from around Fairfax and Loudoun County, Virginia.

Of course you’re in the right place. Those are some real nice pics. I live in Bethesda, MD and have to drive a ways to get out of the massive NFZ around National Airport. The Potomac River is my go to spot close by, but often fly at Harpers Ferry about an hour away.

Attachments

• C4E9D1EC-0B7E-4533-9D64-E8B7FCACA633.jpeg
    C4E9D1EC-0B7E-4533-9D64-E8B7FCACA633.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: jag32266
Nice work. My company Sky Imaging LLC is based out of Leesburg. When flying recreationally, one of my favorite areas is the Potomac River near the ferry. Loudoun has so many great places for photos and videos.

Reactions: DRONO
Of course you’re in the right place. Those are some real nice pics. I live in Bethesda, MD and have to drive a ways to get out of the massive NFZ around National Airport. The Potomac River is my go to spot close by, but often fly at Harpers Ferry about an hour away.

That's a great shot! I thought that Harpers Ferry was a no go zone. I'd love to be able to get some footage out here.

Good use of lighting, shadows and time of day, nice stuff.

That's a great shot! I thought that Harpers Ferry was a no go zone. I'd love to be able to get some footage out here.
What ferry are you referring to that you fly at on the Potomac? White's Ferry? That's all flatwater, so it's not the most interesting flying/filming.

My recommendation is to fly from the MD or VA side at Violette's Lock (near Trump's Golf Course on the VA side). There's a stretch of rapids there with islands and trees in the middle of the river that extends about 3/4 mile downstream. Above Violette's Lock it's basically all flatwater up to Harper's Ferry and flatwater downstream of the rapids. The NFZ extends up to around Swain's Lock upstream from Great Falls NP. The MD side is obviously the C&O Canal NP, but if you walk down the C&O Canal about 1/2 mile until you get close to where it starts to bend, you'll come upon a stone wall. Take the little trail at the upstream end of the wall down to the rock islands that extend into the river. You'll have open sky to launch your drone from the rocks. In the attached photo, the launch area is to the top left. Accessibility from the VA side would require hiking quite a ways from wherever you park.

Harper's Ferry, WV is challenging due to the fact that the town, both sides of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers are National Park land. However, there are 3 areas where you can launch from legally and they all provide unique flying/filming opportunities.

#1 - in the water in either river (the rivers are not part of the NP). If you don't have your own canoe/kayak, there are several outfitters with a variety of watercraft. It's easy to park your kayak on a rock in the middle of the river to launch and have it follow you. I'd pick the Potomac section near Harper's Ferry Campground;

#2 - the rocky area accessible from the VA side of the Shenadoah/Potomac river junction opposite the town (also technically in the river) there's a wide shoulder parking area before you get to the traffic light/gas station, on google maps it's called Bass Rock https://goo.gl/maps/GFaxujsC9KY2KN1N8;

#3 - my favorite spot on the bluff that overlooks the town and the Potomac River where the abandoned hotel is. In my photo, it's visible near the horizon line right of center. The flagpole area has a couple benches and is a good high vantage point. There's often a security guard hanging out to keep people from going into the hotel ruins, but they won't bother you. To get there, go through the town on Washington Street, take a right on Columbia Street and another right on E. Ridge St.

Attachments

• Violettes-Lock-Potomac.jpg
    Violettes-Lock-Potomac.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Violettes-Lock-Potomac-2.jpg
    Violettes-Lock-Potomac-2.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 3
What ferry are you referring to that you fly at on the Potomac? White's Ferry? That's all flatwater, so it's not the most interesting flying/filming.

My recommendation is to fly from the MD or VA side at Violette's Lock (near Trump's Golf Course on the VA side). There's a stretch of rapids there with islands and trees in the middle of the river that extends about 3/4 mile downstream. Above Violette's Lock it's basically all flatwater up to Harper's Ferry and flatwater downstream of the rapids. The NFZ extends up to around Swain's Lock upstream from Great Falls NP. The MD side is obviously the C&O Canal NP, but if you walk down the C&O Canal about 1/2 mile until you get close to where it starts to bend, you'll come upon a stone wall. Take the little trail at the upstream end of the wall down to the rock islands that extend into the river. You'll have open sky to launch your drone from the rocks. In the attached photo, the launch area is to the top left. Accessibility from the VA side would require hiking quite a ways from wherever you park.

Harper's Ferry, WV is challenging due to the fact that the town, both sides of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers are National Park land. However, there are 3 areas where you can launch from legally and they all provide unique flying/filming opportunities.

#1 - in the water in either river (the rivers are not part of the NP). If you don't have your own canoe/kayak, there are several outfitters with a variety of watercraft. It's easy to park your kayak on a rock in the middle of the river to launch and have it follow you. I'd pick the Potomac section near Harper's Ferry Campground;

#2 - the rocky area accessible from the VA side of the Shenadoah/Potomac river junction opposite the town (also technically in the river) there's a wide shoulder parking area before you get to the traffic light/gas station, on google maps it's called Bass Rock https://goo.gl/maps/GFaxujsC9KY2KN1N8;

#3 - my favorite spot on the bluff that overlooks the town and the Potomac River where the abandoned hotel is. In my photo, it's visible near the horizon line right of center. The flagpole area has a couple benches and is a good high vantage point. There's often a security guard hanging out to keep people from going into the hotel ruins, but they won't bother you. To get there, go through the town on Washington Street, take a right on Columbia Street and another right on E. Ridge St.

Made it out there and got some footage. Was a great day for it, and the security at the Hill top Hotel couldn't have been any nicer.

Reactions: hchen
That’s great. You got a wide variety of clips until you got to Harpers Ferry, then mostly photos? Running out of batteries?
I was in Deep Creek Lake over the holiday weekend, stayed through Tuesday, tried some boat launch and landing and active track, all of which presented some unanticipated challenges.
Then my last flight yesterday afternoon before returning the boat, I was getting in position for a POI and crashed the M2P into a tree in deep woods. The obstacle avoidance may have turned off without me noticing. Also, my cache got full from earlier flights, so my iPad didn’t capture the recording, which would have given me a better idea of the crash point. The M2P camera was still viewing (upside down), so I snapped some pics at very slow shutter speed (I had an ND64 on, so...). The photo wasn’t particularly helpful, but I could barely make out a section of road guard rail some distance away. I returned the boat, drove the car to the general area and after 45 min. searching an area about the size of a football field, I found it. Had a broken arm and other issues, but was glad I didn’t lose the footage I’d captured over the weekend. I was gonna switch cards before the flight just in case, but this was supposed to be a quick and easy last flight. I do have insurance on the drone, so not that worried about losing it. However, I have more trips planned over the next 2 months and can’t wait for repairs. Hmm...

I’m gonna post the flight data so someone can tell me what exactly happened.

Attachments

• FF767BD3-1F94-4D2A-A736-000CDBB082AF.png
    FF767BD3-1F94-4D2A-A736-000CDBB082AF.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13