DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Someone Try to Shoot Down My Mavic?

Highly unlikely it's a high velocity rifle round.

A standard 5.56 (22 caliber) rifle round travels at roughly 2800fps / 1909 mph.

1 second / 30 (assumed frame rate) = 1 frame every 33.33 milliseconds.

2800 fps / 1000 ms = 2.8ft per millisecond.

2.8 ft per millisecond x 33 (milliseconds per frame) = 92.4 ft traveled per frame.

It's fast in the clip, but nowhere near that fast.

Let's not forget that even though stupid is prevalent everywhere, you don't start firing off rifle rounds in a densely populated area like that without being noticed.

Depends on the caliber, the amount and type of powder, and the bullet weight and what the camera settings are also. He said it is a construction site so I'm assuming there's a lot of noise coming from that area that could mask the sound of the gun being shot. plus there's makeshift silencers I seen on youtube just by putting a oil filter over the barrel.

Depends on the caliber, the amount and type of powder, and the bullet weight and what the camera settings are also. He said it is a construction site so I'm assuming there's a lot of noise coming from that area that could mask the sound of the gun being shot. plus there's makeshift silencers I seen on youtube just by putting a oil filter over the barrel.

You're correct there are a myriad of factors at play. I simply chose the most commonly sold round in the USA to base some simple math off of.

Something like a 175gr match .308 Winchester round is still traveling around 2650fps. That's only roughly 5% slower, not enough to effect the math to a large degree.

Regarding "makeshift silencers / IE Oil filters", the performance is laughable in comparison to an actual suppressor.

Suppressed firearms are anything but silent. To give you a quick run down, they're essentially designed not to exceed OSHA safe hearing levels (140db) in order to prevent hearing loss.

Most high velocity rifle rounds are brought down from 170-175db range to the 135-140db range, which is hardly "silent".

I can't take any of mine out in a metro neighborhood and start shooting without attracting some serious attention.

Bullets are actually relatively easy to spot in flight. To be brief, they create a vortex when flying through the air, which you'll hear most distance shooters refer to as "trace".

This is valuable data when making corrections when shooting great distances (500+ yards) as it allows you to "walk" your rounds onto target.

Even then, atmospheric conditions have to be just right, and you're not going to see it when looking through low quality glass.

Just sharing some experiences as a competitive 1000 yard shooter for a few decades.

Here's a short example on Youtube.

Notice the lack of trace elements in the original video, and that the original example looks nothing like a bullet in flight in the example here.

Start at 0:26

Last edited:
If it was a projectile that broke the sound barrier you would have heard it for sure. Perhaps a subsonic round from a pistol round in a rifle. Lots of ARs are made to shoot 9mm. And at a couple hundred yards it would be slowed quite a bit which would be way different than the 2800 FPS above. Even that tiny little 22 round which exits the muzzle at 2800 FPS is slowed to about 2000 FPS by 250 yards. Pistol cartridges like the 45 are 600 FPS at 200 yards and a 9mm is 800 FPS at 200 yards. My old eyes see it as some sort of fast moving object on a relatively straight path.

Reactions: wayy510 and Blades
That's what I'm getting at. The thought that it's slow enough it must be a subsonic pistol round is pretty illogical as well.

Let's say it's a .45 ACP round that's lost half it's velocity so it's going 500 fps at this point.

Either the "shooter" had a pistol caliber carbine, or a pistol with a magnified optic capable of spotting an airborne Mavic from hundreds of yards away, and began to lob lead at it.

A very unlikely gear setup.

The amount of drop at that distance from a pistol round can be measured in tens of feet.

I'm a big fan of my Mavic, but it's camera isn't catch bullets in flight quality...

08d9d739b05d4ff399c12e24663a152c.jpg

Doesn't look like a bullet to me
That's a flying rod.. absolutely what that is.. Look it up.. ;-)

Mavic camera caught this. The "projectile" is too small and fast to be a bird and too big and slow to be a bullet.

No muzzle flash and no sound of gunfire. It comes from about 200-300 yards out at base of mountain and is moving pretty fast.

From that distance you could not see my Mavic coming unless somone had glass. Almost looks like a tracer but just too slow and big for a bullet.

The "projectile" is moving fast and has a very straight trajectory.

Very odd.
I am curious do you fly there a lot on a regular basis and around the same time? Have you been flying over or near the construction site?

I set youtube to the slowest speed, and then went frame to frame. It appears to be a gun flash when it began. I'd also say that would not have shown up had you not been using 60fps on your camera settings.
Rifle rounds easily travel at 3000' per second. Do the math on that and seriously doubt that you could catch a bullet at 60fps.. The bullet would travel 50' for every shutter blink. So you would not see smooth movement at all. You "may" see a blip ----- blip ----- blip.. and that would be 150' in 3 shutter flashes.

Look up flying rods.. I'm positive that's what this was.

looks like an rpg! /s

I do not think it is a bug. I think it is definitely a projectile. Seems too large and too slow to be a bullet. Came from too far away to be a potato. Is it possible it is an arrow?

what is the distance from the point where this projectile was likely fired to mavic?

Reactions: dslater and Blades
looks like an rpg! /s

I do not think it is a bug. I think it is definitely a projectile. Seems too large and too slow to be a bullet. Came from too far away to be a potato. Is it possible it is an arrow?

what is the distance from the point where this projectile was likely fired to mavic?
About 300-350 yards

A Mavic travelling at 20mph would be travelling at about 30 feet per second. If the shutter speed is 1/60 of a second, that would create a blurred line 6 inches long, which is about what I see in the individual video frames.

So, I agree with others that it's probably an object floating in the air, an insect, or even a floating plant seed.

Reactions: Dronebow
A Mavic travelling at 20mph would be travelling at about 30 feet per second. If the shutter speed is 1/60 of a second, that would create a blurred line 6 inches long, which is about what I see in the individual video frames.

So, I agree with others that it's probably an object floating in the air, an insect, or even a floating plant seed.

In other words, a flying rod. [emoji6]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J