DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Something attacked my drone!

Gosh I feel embarrased now. Thanks Sar. It looked so convincing to me that something was going seriously wrong. I’m glad it wasn’t!

Is this quite a common thing and Is there any reason why this happens mid-flight?

I've never had it happen on any of mine, but numerous videos have been posted asking about that behavior so it's probably not extremely rare either. I've no idea what causes it, or whether it is a hardware or firmware issue.

Reactions: adam3112
Like I said, I had this happen several times. A gimble reset in flight has highly recognizable movement characteristics. It's not your drone that's moving weird, it's the gimble.

I researched the issue last year and found that the cause is related to the 64gig SD card that I was using in my MPP. Now maybe it's the quality of the card, or the theory at the time was it's a bug in the software. I didn't want to wait for DJI to do something about it. So to get around it, I bought a high quality 32 gig card. My god it's big enough for my workflow. Since then it has never happened in the last 400 miles of flight. Downsize your card.

Hello, how comes that the engines did not stop? When the props keep touching something for seconds or blocked for a short time the engine stops (M2pro).

This happened to me when I switched he'd to a larger sd card. I had no clue why it kept doing it at aground 9 mins of shooting video until I read it was in fact the sd card causing it. Switched back and all has been fine since.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Like I said, I had this happen several times. A gimble reset in flight has highly recognizable movement characteristics. It's not your drone that's moving weird, it's the gimble.

I researched the issue last year and found that the cause is related to the 64gig SD card that I was using in my MPP. Now maybe it's the quality of the card, or the theory at the time was it's a bug in the software. I didn't want to wait for DJI to do something about it. So to get around it, I bought a high quality 32 gig card. My god it's big enough for my workflow. Since then it has never happened in the last 400 miles of flight. Downsize your card.
Yup 100% correct

This happened to me when I switched he'd to a larger sd card. I had no clue why it kept doing it at aground 9 mins of shooting video until I read it was in fact the sd card causing it. Switched back and all has been fine since.
How big SD card causes this? I am planning to use a 128GB one.

How big SD card causes this? I am planning to use a 128GB one.

Mine was a 64 Gig. I never tried a 128. No problem with 16 and 32.

My card was a new Toshiba 64gb sd card but based on the replies here, I’ll put back my Sandisk 32gb on my next flight. Thumbswayup

Very interesting thread. Glad I had the opportunity to learn this. I have been using 32's in my MPP and MA. That's all the space I need since I transfer the files to my computer after every day of flying. Then erase them off the card. I doubt that I will ever need them, but I carry extra 32gig cards in my cases. It's just the way I roll (fly). Everyone has their own way.

Have always used 64gb cards and that has never caused
me any issues. Dump mine everytime I come in and reformat
in drone when setting up to fly next.
Guess it’s what works for ya.

Yes, I use 64 and 128 but I format every flight. No problems.

Reactions: dirkclod
is there anything in the flight data that can confirm this?

I'm sceptical this was the case as my drone was being physically spun around and moved off course whilst flying back. My flight record shows this on the flight path.

I'm quite familiar with the gimble reset motion (being similar to that of when you start up the drone) but it wasn't really doing that on screen whilst this was going on.
DJI assistant has a Blackbox mode to view sensor data IE accelerometer and gimbal

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky