DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Specifying precise waypoints using RC2

Taghkanic

Reactions
At risk of sound like a clueless newbie, I have some questions about using the Air 3 RC2 controller software to plot missions...

1) After placing a waypoint, can one review the GPS coordinates of that waypoint?
2) Can you create a waypoint from scratch by inputting such coordinate data?
3) Alteratively, is there a way to export a .kml/.kmz to use a waypoint path into the native app?
Backstory: I’m trying to create a mission which follows the exact boundaries of a 250-acre property I own. I’d like to have the drone fly this mission weekly. I know the locations of each dimension of the property.

But it seems like the only way in the Fly app to create a mission is to either fly the Air3 to a location and place a waypoint, or to clumsily place the waypoints with finger taps onscreen preflight.

Since I can’t see any way to import my survey map into the Air3, this leaves me guessing as to whether I am in the precisely correct location for each waypoint. I could output a map from Google Earth Pro, or manually enter the coordinates if necessary, but I’m not seeing any way to even inspect the GPS coordinates on the controller.

Related question:

4) Is there a way during a mission to have the Air 3 automatically take a photo every [X] number of feet?

Ideally I’d like to stitch together seasonal maps of my property. I was trying to do this with Litchi with my old drone, but it was pretty kludgey.

Do your best approximation initially, and keep refining it, based upon the results. It would certainly help if you had visual markers at each of the boundary corners to center the drone camera on.

You will need to create a separate waypoint for each photo location, if you want it every 100 feet.

Reactions: Taghkanic
If you have a mini 3 pro or an Air 2S use DroneLink and you can preplan the mission on your computer.

It seems that getting the Air 3 to fly to precise waypoints would be difficult given that DJI uses Bézier curves for mission paths. They should apply smoothing to CINE mode and allow a polygonal flight in NORMAL mode. This would allow the aircraft to fly proper corners when needed.

It seems that getting the Air 3 to fly to precise waypoints would be difficult given that DJI uses Bézier curves for mission paths. They should apply smoothing to CINE mode and allow a polygonal flight in NORMAL mode. This would allow the aircraft to fly proper corners when needed.
The drone still always flies through each waypoint. It's only the path to them that isn't necessarily straight.

1) After placing a waypoint, can one review the GPS coordinates of that waypoint?
If you are adept at manipulating KMZ files, you can export, modify, then import a waypoint mission.

2) Can you create a waypoint from scratch by inputting such coordinate data?
You can use Litchi's Mission Hub (where GPS coordinates are available and editable) to create a mission then import that mission to your controller using my "Litchi to Mavic 3 Waypoint Converter".

3) Alteratively, is there a way to export a .kml/.kmz to use a waypoint path into the native app?
I don't understand what you are asking here.

Autonomous DJI Fly waypoints, while welcome, are a very limited solution compared to Litchi, DroneLink, etc.

Which are available on the enterprise versions of the Mavic 3.

And I believe is the point. We were complaining mightily since the M3 was first released, and they threw us a bone. Nothing more.

Reactions: Limewood
I agree, but it also makes it near impossible to fly precision missions if corners are involved. Wrong drone for the task.
Different issue for a different thread. For the OP's purpose, which is the topic of this thread, it won't matter, since he only wants a photograph at each waypoint, so it is the correct drone and tool for him, even if not operating the way you would like it to, for you.

Autonomous DJI Fly waypoints, while welcome, are a very limited solution compared to Litchi, DroneLink, etc.

Which are available on the enterprise versions of the Mavic 3.

And I believe is the point. We were complaining mightily since the M3 was first released, and they threw us a bone. Nothing more.
It is a valid point, but not relevant to the OP's intended use, based upon his backstory, which has a simple solution described in post #3 above.

4) Is there a way during a mission to have the Air 3 automatically take a photo every [X] number of feet?

The waypoints seem to be customizable. Like at each waypoint stop and hover, not sure if it will take a snap and continue though. might take some experimentation to figure it out or discover it`s limitations. I am interested in this too.

The waypoints seem to be customizable. Like at each waypoint stop and hover, not sure if it will take a snap and continue though. might take some experimentation to figure it out or discover it`s limitations. I am interested in this too.
You can have the Air3 take a photo at each waypoint. It will continue. You would need to space your waypoints to the distance you require.

Related question:

Ideally I’d like to stitch together seasonal maps of my property. I was trying to do this with Litchi with my old drone, but it was pretty kludgey.

While far more limited in functionality, you might be able to configure a Hyperlapse waypoint mission to do this. If all you need is to fly a flight path and take a photo every X feet. Easy math to convert this to speed and interval. Gimbal direction might tricky if you have several POIs...

Last edited:
Reactions: Taghkanic
It is a valid point, but not relevant to the OP's intended use, based upon his backstory, which has a simple solution described in post #3 above.
Entirely relevant, Litchi and Dronelink were mentioned in a previous post as a solution.

Much simpler and easier solution in post #17.

If you are adept at manipulating KMZ files, you can export, modify, then import a waypoint mission.
I probably can figure it out...
You can use Litchi's Mission Hub (where GPS coordinates are available and editable) to create a mission then import that mission to your controller using my "Litchi to Mavic 3 Waypoint Converter".
I’m using an Air 3. Do Litchi outputs for Mavic 3 work on both drones?
I don't understand what you are asking here.
I have tons of data about the property in question in Google Earth Pro. If I could bring .kmls or .kmzs from Earth into the Air3 map, then I could know exactly where the drone is at. (Using the basic maps, including the blurry satellite imagery, in the controller is not adequate.)

Do your best approximation initially, and keep refining it, based upon the results. It would certainly help if you had visual markers at each of the boundary corners to center the drone camera on.

You will need to create a separate waypoint for each photo location, if you want it every 100 feet.

This is what I have been doing.

However, with trees fully leafed-out, it is very difficult to find precise locations visually, even though I know the land like the back of my hand. This is a densely-forested area, so in summer you can't make out much except leaves and a few uniquely large trees here and there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman