DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport Mode Efficiency

spamgnome

Reactions
Curious if anyone has done any testing on using sport mode and how much faster it burns through a battery versus normal mode. For example, let's say I want to position the MA a few hundred feet away for a shot. Do I zip there in sport mode, and presumably use more battery but less time? Or do I use normal mode? If battery life preservation is my main goal, which is better? Put a simpler way, which is more fuel efficient over a given distance?

Reactions: Aero1
Well I haven't personally run any tests, but one would think that the harder the motors are working the more power they draw. In your fuel efficiency question, are you getting better mpg in your car at half speed or max speed?

Well I haven't personally run any tests, but one would think that the harder the motors are working the more power they draw. In your fuel efficiency question, are you getting better mpg in your car at half speed or max speed?
Obviously sport mode (or full throttle) is going to draw more power (or result in lower MPGs). The question, though, is whether sport mode uses less power total over a specified distance. If it uses 20% more power but covers the distance twice as fast, that would be helpful information to know, since the total power usage to get home, for example, would be lower.

I was digging through archives looking to see if this had been addressed, and while there's been a lot of discussion, I haven't seen a definite answer (it may be there, as the prior message suggests for the MP, I just hadn't located it yet). So thanks for posting the question.

It depends on many factors including ambient temperature, altitude, wind, etc. which makes it pretty much impossible to calculate accurately. The most efficient way to fly assuming ideal conditions is normally in P mode (this results in the longest battery life, even longer than hovering).

All bets are off with the RTH estimator as well if you're in sport mode.

Based on my anecdotal experience, sport mode flying drains the battery very fast, if I had to guess about twice as fast if not more, compared to just flying around normally. Personally I don't think you'd be gaining anything, at best breaking even but adding risk (collision sensors are not active, for example, and it takes a lot longer to stop). You can also put a lot more trust in the RTH calculator if you are just flying normally.

Curious if anyone has done any testing on using sport mode and how much faster it burns through a battery versus normal mode. For example, let's say I want to position the MA a few hundred feet away for a shot. Do I zip there in sport mode, and presumably use more battery but less time? Or do I use normal mode? If battery life preservation is my main goal, which is better? Put a simpler way, which is more fuel efficient over a given distance?

in school i learned the propeller is more efficient than any other distance for distance. now helicopter may be otherwise because constantly thrusting against gravity vector.

but for winged airlifting the propeller wins drop for drop of carbon based fuel (jp4 included).

so turbofan airplanes are suppose to be more efficient than combustion piston engine propeller?

or piston reciprocating propeller still wins?

faster flying speed imparts power function increase air friction onto craft skin and frontal impinge

pound for pound payload airlifted is cheapest transportation by propeller combustion reciprocating engine

The only way to answer your question is to experiment in the field.

At a couple of hundred feet you’ll likely use more time changing modes than you save. Use of either should not affect battery life.
Make it fun and easy!

I’d have to say flying in P mode would be the most battery efficient. The battery runs down REAL quick in sport mode.

I’d have to say flying in P mode would be the most battery efficient. The battery runs down REAL quick in sport mode.
P mode with forward sensors off.

It's been demonstrated with several models that maximum time efficiency (longest flight time per battery) is maximized in P mode at around 50% top speed, but maximum distance efficiency (longest distance per battery) is achieved a little above the top speed in P mode at around 30° pitch, requiring S mode to access it.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
It's been demonstrated with several models that maximum time efficiency (longest flight time per battery) is maximized in P mode at around 50% top speed, but maximum distance efficiency (longest distance per battery) is achieved a little above the top speed in P mode at around 30° pitch, requiring S mode to access it.
P mode with anti-collision off gets the faster speed you mention without going into S mode.

P mode with anti-collision off gets the faster speed you mention without going into S mode.

Not enough - P mode tops out at a tilt of 25° (MP, M2), 20° (MM), 15° (MA). Turning off the collision avoidance doesn't change the maximum tilt angle - just the maximum speed.

Not enough - P mode tops out at a tilt of 25° (MP, M2), 20° (MM), 15° (MA). Turning off the collision avoidance doesn't change the maximum tilt angle - just the maximum speed.
Since horizontal speed is a combination of tilt angle and rpm you cannot get a faster horizontal speed without increasing the tilt angle. Turning off AC sensors allows faster horizontal flight so it must also increase the tilt angle. Simply increasing rpm without an increased tilt angle would make it fly higher, not horizontally faster.

The above is based solely on how I believe it should work. I have not done any testing to verify it. @sar104, I highly respect your opinion and value your extensive knowledge on the subject. I will just assume that there is another variable that I have missed.

Since horizontal speed is a combination of tilt angle and rpm you cannot get a faster horizontal speed without increasing the tilt angle. Turning off AC sensors allows faster horizontal flight so it must also increase the tilt angle. Simply increasing rpm without an increased tilt angle would make it fly higher, not horizontally faster.

The above is based solely on how I believe it should work. I have not done any testing to verify it. @sar104, I highly respect your opinion and value your extensive knowledge on the subject. I will just assume that there is another variable that I have missed.

There are two separate parameters at work, a maximum tilt angle and a maximum ground speed. In any given situation (i.e. wind speed and direction) the speed is a single-valued function of tilt angle. Turning off OA will allow a higher maximum ground speed but only within the applicable mode tilt limit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccatt80