DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm said no!

Thanks Anthony.

Reading through this though doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, that I'm covered for anything if I'm flying with AMA insurance. Flying has to be preformed with in accordance of the AMA National Safety Codes. One of the safety codes says you cannot operate your model in a prohibited RC flying area. AMA fields are a 100% coverage zone, I would suspect because they are sanctioned and meet the requirements of AMA safety guidelines for safe flight. I think flying anywhere else with this insurance only would be risky if you didn't do proper homework on your location first. Ex. The school across the street from my house attracts many folks to try out there new RC toys. The town doesn't allow this, but doesn't enforce it. I would say if you damaged something on the schools property, you would not be covered.

So I called my State Farm guy and he was in a meeting. I asked the lady that answered about a person all property insurance policy for my new drone. She said they called underwr4two weeks ago and they don't cover drones or any other flying devices. What the?? Call another State Farm agent? I've read tons of people on this board got insurance trough State Farm. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app
I called my Farmers agent and he checked with superior. My drone is covered under my homeowners policy for liability if I am not flying commercial. I assume also if it is lost or stolen. But I asked mainly about liability issues. Covered under personal property. California

So I called my State Farm guy and he was in a meeting. I asked the lady that answered about a person all property insurance policy for my new drone. She said they called underwr4two weeks ago and they don't cover drones or any other flying devices. What the?? Call another State Farm agent? I've read tons of people on this board got insurance trough State Farm. Any ideas would be appreciated.

the agent I insured thru said I was her 1st drone. Another agent I called before going to the lady agent quoted 60.00 a month. state farm agents are new to this also so shop around.

Thanks Anthony.

Reading through this though doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, that I'm covered for anything if I'm flying with AMA insurance. Flying has to be preformed with in accordance of the AMA National Safety Codes. One of the safety codes says you cannot operate your model in a prohibited RC flying area. AMA fields are a 100% coverage zone, I would suspect because they are sanctioned and meet the requirements of AMA safety guidelines for safe flight. I think flying anywhere else with this insurance only would be risky if you didn't do proper homework on your location first. Ex. The school across the street from my house attracts many folks to try out there new RC toys. The town doesn't allow this, but doesn't enforce it. I would say if you damaged something on the schools property, you would not be covered.

it takes ama weeks just to get a id card to you when you should be able to print one out from the website. hate to think what a claim with them would take.

the agent I insured thru said I was her 1st drone. Another agent I called before going to the lady agent quoted 60.00 a month. state farm agents are new to this also so shop around.
$60/year is what mine was. Actually only $18/year was the cost, but $60/year is the minimum policy premium they offer. So I'm gonna add other items to my policy.

Which agent did you use?
Ty Donavan
1421 E Sandy Lake Rd Ste 120
Coppell, TX 75019
972-462-1075

Was very knowledgeable and helpful about all types of insurance. Will be getting the personal property insurance for my drone, guns, autographed sports memorabilia and fiance's ring. I'd guess $125/year total for all. I may even switch my auto insurance as well.

Reactions: maowen21
I received an unsolicited email about insurance for my Mavic. Based on all the info they had, they got my info from DJI!
THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS INSURANCE - FYI ONLY.
If interested, contact him. Keith Paul - INSUREMYDRONE.NET
<[email protected]> Insurance is through Global Aerospace.
  • $1,000,000 bodily injury & property damage liability limit
  • Hull coverage
  • Premises Liability Coverage free-of-charge
  • MedPay $5k per person
  • War Risks Liability free-of-charge
  • Free access to our Standard Operating Procedures template document and Emergency Guide document
Premium came out to $1,098.

Not to throw cold water on these State Farm policies, but do consider/research any impact a claim may have on your insurance risk. My agent warned me against going this route, even if the SF policy was separate and I have no other SF policies, a claim would be seen as a strike in the ChoicePoint (LexisNexis) insurer database (that all underwriters use to calculate risk). IOW, while the upfront cost and renewability may be appealing, after filing a claim, it would likely result in a negative consequence for your insurance risk profile when your other insurance renews (auto/home). That spooked me enough to stay w/the refresh for now.

Not to throw cold water on these State Farm policies, but do consider/research any impact a claim may have on your insurance risk. My agent warned me against going this route, even if the SF policy was separate and I have no other SF policies, a claim would be seen as a strike in the ChoicePoint (LexisNexis) insurer database (that all underwriters use to calculate risk). IOW, while the upfront cost and renewability may be appealing, after filing a claim, it would likely result in a negative consequence for your insurance risk profile when your other insurance renews (auto/home). That spooked me enough to stay w/the refresh for now.

This is great insight, thanks for sharing. I was not aware under the personal articles policy if we filed a claim for the drone it would be seen as a strike in the database they use to determine risk. Something to think about for sure when weighing all options.

Ghostrider215

Reactions: Seachief
100% correct...I would hate to see someone put in a claim for a $9 broken prop and have their rates (Auto, Home. etc.) no matter who their carrier is increase by 10%.

This is great insight, thanks for sharing. I was not aware under the personal articles policy if we filed a claim for the drone it would be seen as a strike in the database they use to determine risk. Something to think about for sure when weighing all options.

Ghostrider215
I was completely assured by my State Farm agent that a personal items policy claim would have absolutely zero chance of affecting your car or homeowners insurance rates. Now maybe if you had like 3 claims in a year... maybe...

Reactions: birdofprey
@Boog0822 would you send me your agents contact info please? I would like to use him also.

Ty Donavan
1421 E Sandy Lake Rd Ste 120
Coppell, TX 75019
972-462-1075

Was very knowledgeable and helpful about all types of insurance. Will be getting the personal property insurance for my drone, guns, autographed sports memorabilia and fiance's ring. I'd guess $125/year total for all. I may even switch my auto insurance as well.

I was completely assured by my State Farm agent that a personal items policy claim would have absolutely zero chance of affecting your car or homeowners insurance rates. Now maybe if you had like 3 claims in a year... maybe...

This is typically the reply I get when I caution people to investigate and research. It's gotten to the point, that I rarely bother to even bring it up. I will only say that no agent - whether they've been directly employed by SF or any other big insurer knows what goes into rate and risk calculations. The underwriting group does not share that with agents, or anyone else for that matter. And rightfully so. They don't want agents committing on anything that will or won't affect their ability to raise rates at a later date. Ask your agent to get that assurance in writing. Ask them specifically if it isn't a single claim, how about two? Or what about a windshield clam and a drone claim in the same year?

The problem within insurers is that they'll promise the world, and when your rates don't do what they said they would, there's always an excuse. You're rates went up following a drone claim? Complain and they'll say, "everyone's rates went up - it had nothing to do with your claim". Unless you (or the agent) is privy to the ChoicePoint database, and you know all of the factors in assessing risks and rates, I would trust such a statement as far as I could throw it (the agent).

I'm thinking of just getting an umbrella insurance coverage. I don't care about replacing a lost drone or repairing one for a few hundred bucks. I'm more worried of it crashing into someone and getting sued for everything i've got. Umbrella coverage will also cover against all the other crazy things in the world, not just drone accidents.

Please check with your state's insurance commissioner instead for the answer and report back. Here they can put the claim on your record.

I'm thinking of just getting an umbrella insurance coverage. I don't care about replacing a lost drone or repairing one for a few hundred bucks. I'm more worried of it crashing into someone and getting sued for everything i've got. Umbrella coverage will also cover against all the other crazy things in the world, not just drone accidents.
Aren't you covered under homeowners for liability?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661