DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

strange crash with mavic pro

This is not the best one, but it is there for sure..
That looks more like the tip of the front right arm caught by the camera during the spin

If you move a few frames forward, it remains on the right

That looks more like the tip of the front right arm caught by the camera during the spin

If you move a few frames forward, it remains on the right
Hmm maybe Bud, I reckon that came from the back rhs??

here is the dat file if anyone has time to look at it to see what went wrong
Dropbox - DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-12-04_20-23-17.DAT

Yes - that makes it fairly clear what happened:

DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-12-04_20-23-17.FLY060_01.png

The rear left prop was lost at 22.14 seconds, as I suggested earlier, resulting in immediate overspeed on that motor and left roll. The front right motor was slowed to try to maintain stable flight, leaving two higher speed clockwise motors (front left and rear right) causing the aircraft to yaw counterclockwise.

No evidence of a bird strike or any other motor obstruction - simple prop ejection.

Yes - that makes it fairly clear what happened:

View attachment 26201

The rear left prop was lost at 22.14 seconds, as I suggested earlier, resulting in immediate overspeed on that motor and left roll. The front right motor was slowed to try to maintain stable flight, leaving two higher speed clockwise motors (front left and rear right) causing the aircraft to yaw counterclockwise.

No evidence of a bird strike or any other motor obstruction - simple prop ejection.
Awesome! Why would the prop just fly off like that? If it wasn't inserted properly, surely it would have ejected during the double pre-lift fast spin ups

Last edited:
SAR104 i thank you and everyone for the help on this.Im a first time mavic owner and will learn from this

Awesome! Why would the prop just fly off like that? If it wasn't inserted properly, surely it would have ejected during the double pre-lift fast spin ups

Good question, and I’ve no idea what the answer is. There is no sudden change in motor speed before the event that might have significantly changed the forces on the locking mechanism. There have been a few cases of this happening though. It would be interesting to examine the prop, hub and motor to see if those hold any clues.

Reactions: Vilco
hi guys
had a strange crash today with my mavic pro,im trying to get the flight logs to airdata but there seems to be a issue today uploading flight info,i have 2 vids in this thread, can anyone give some input what it might look like as far as what happened,the props were on securely etc.and calibration was correct.looks likeim calling state farm tommrrow for a claim for replacement

I had the same problem last sunday....My Mavic lost compass and start spinning and crash down. Alot of damage. In the flight log, no record about the compass error but it was on the screen ''COMPASS ERROR''.I had my goggles in my face and it was clear...the compass stoped

I had the same problem last sunday....My Mavic lost compass and start spinning and crash down. Alot of damage. In the flight log, no record about the compass error but it was on the screen ''COMPASS ERROR''.I had my goggles in my face and it was clear...the compass stoped
It suks when it happens. I had state farm insurance on it for 60 a yr. I called and did the claim. They were very good about it. I told them what happened etc. They sent out a check to replace it for me. I have all my other drones on the policy too.im gonna have to be pro active in my pre flights etc. Too

Except that was not what happened to the OP in this thread - it was the loss of a prop.

There is no way to determine what happened to yours based on the incomplete description that you gave and without seeing the flight log.

Yup, prob ejection. I’ve seen many videos of bird strikes and you can tell the difference, there more of a jolt when a bird hits it and violent twirl...sorry to see this happen, Every flight I’m concerned ths might happen with mine and I fly over water quite often so I am constantly having arrhythmias, one day I’ll have heart attack lol

Reactions: johnsctt78
Every flight I’m concerned ths might happen with mine and I fly over water quite often so I am constantly having arrhythmias, one day I’ll have heart attack lol

Yup I'm in the same situation, get sick to my stomach when water is involved :)

hi guys
had a strange crash today with my mavic pro,im trying to get the flight logs to airdata but there seems to be a issue today uploading flight info,i have 2 vids in this thread, can anyone give some input what it might look like as far as what happened,the props were on securely etc.and calibration was correct.looks likeim calling state farm tommrrow for a claim for replacement

This is a mirror image of what happened to my own first Mavic!!!
That flight path is identical.
Unfortunately mine was over a dam and was lost....
DJI viewed the flight logs and stated the following -
The craft was in gps mode
The piloting was good
There were no recorded faults logged
The craft inverted and the signal was lost (when it went into the dam)

My props were secure, the battery was fully charged and secure, there was no wind, there were no overhead wires and no birds in the sky.
It just flipped over and was lost while in full climb.
Personally I believe there's an issue with the drones as I've seen other similar videos.

They offered a 30% discount on a new craft.
I told them I'd accept 50:50 and they agreed.
Can't trust the new one now, so the whole point of having a drone to film from places a person can't is lost.

Reactions: johnsctt78
This is a mirror image of what happened to my own first Mavic!!!
That flight path is identical.
Unfortunately mine was over a dam and was lost....
DJI viewed the flight logs and stated the following -
The craft was in gps mode
The piloting was good
There were no recorded faults logged
The craft inverted and the signal was lost (when it went into the dam)

My props were secure, the battery was fully charged and secure, there was no wind, there were no overhead wires and no birds in the sky.
It just flipped over and was lost while in full climb.
Personally I believe there's an issue with the drones as I've seen other similar videos.

They offered a 30% discount on a new craft.
I told them I'd accept 50:50 and they agreed.
Can't trust the new one now, so the whole point of having a drone to film from places a person can't is lost.

It must have been a terrible shock to discover that mass-produced consumer technology isn't 100% flawless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64