DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck in 110' tree- motors won't turn on

I got mine down!! I borrowed a really long extension tripod and added some conduit with a hook made from an aluminum rod. She fell flat as can be, into the deep snow. She's resting peacefully in a bag of rice.

I crashed mine into a tree a couple of weeks ago. Problem was it took me 2 hours to find which tree. Got jungle right by my house and the tree tops are about 10-30 meters high and on a steep slope. Couldnt move the rotors so couldnt hear where it was. Video feed was still live so went around shaking all the trees until I saw it shake. Still could barely spot it but managed to poke her down using a couple of poles, bamboo and jungle vine. Flies no problem now and only suffered a chipped rotor.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Soo I landed in a tree the other day by accident. I was testing the downward vps to see if it would pull up the drone if I were to descend over a tree. Because I was holding down it went into auto landing mode and got stuck. I used the CSC to stop the motors.

Soo I shook the **** outa the tree and caught on the way down. No damage done

Ok,....here would be my procedure. Go to a hardware store. PVC can be found in 20 foot lengths,.....but is easily found in 10 foot lengths. Buy 5 X 20 foot lengths or 10 X 10' lengths. Buy a bag of couplings. I suggest 1" PVC as 3/4" would be pretty wobbly at 100'. Get some help lifting the rig or putting it together as you raise the very long pole into the air.
PVC is light yet strong.
Give the Mavic a good thump. If you have enough people helping,....use a sheet or tarp with some people holding each corner to catch the Mavic.
If you are short of help,.....be prepared to catch the Mavic,.......wear gloves.
Good luck.
110' of PVC? Have you ever tried to swing anything that length? Good luck there Vern!

Reactions: MrsTreat
Bow and a blunt arrow with a rope attached?? Use the rope to shake the branch??

Lights and signal still on, but motors won't turn on to try and take off because alert says the unit isn't level-- because it's stuck sideways in the tree. So I can't get it to knock itself down. If it falls 110 feet, I can at least send it off to dji refresh. Trapped in a tree is as bad as a fly away.

Sadly, this happened visiting nor Cal, so I have to leave it here with a hope that the man that lives below the tree calls me when it falls out some day after a storm. Any suggestions on overriding and getting the motors to turn on?

Good bye drone.

Happened flying sideways -- thought I had gauges the height of the tallest redwood -- but this one was 10 feet higher.

Note to self: better to be too high than too low.
Note to poster: good luck brother - there's some good suggestions posted on here to consider...

One last thing about mine. Here's how she landed, from about 60-70 feet up.
She flew fine for a week afterwards, then the gimbal wouldn't initialize anymore. Just kept overloading.

Attachments

• Attach4968_20170319_181404.jpg
    Attach4968_20170319_181404.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 57
Same problem here, such a potty no emergency mode, to get the motors on to get it out of the tree. DJI, please, you have to add such a mode !!! More, 100$ drones and even less, beep once stuck, more than 1000$ drone doesn't even beep to make it easier to find ... Engineers!!??

Same problem here, such a potty no emergency mode, to get the motors on to get it out of the tree. DJI, please, you have to add such a mode !!! More, 100$ drones and even less, beep once stuck, more than 1000$ drone doesn't even beep to make it easier to find ... Engineers!!??
Huh? If you want the drone to beep, turn it on in Find My Drone. You can get the ESC modules to beep.

Reactions: newguy
I had this happen a couple weeks ago, mine got stuck 45' up in a tree, I did what someone else here has suggested, I drove 20 minutes to a home depot, bought 60' of 1/2" EMT conduit, about 15 couplers, a screwdriver to tighten the couplers, a pipe cutter, duct tape and a pond net... I will tell you, after 20' the whole thing gets very wobbly, I was able to connect 45' worth and I had branches to use as "holders" to direct the whole contraption toward my Mavic... I knew I had to stay directly under it in order to keep the whole thing from collapsing.....I managed to get the net caught on the branch that the Mavic was stuck in, I shook that thing with everything I had in me... Down it came. 4 HOURS LATER!! My other ideas was going home and returning the next day with a set up much like arborists use to shoot climbing ropes. GOOD LUCK, hope this is able to help someone else.

Mavic does have beep mode to find as well as flash the LEDs. Its under find my my Drone.

Reactions: apacsman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998