DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid Is What Stupid Does

If you witnessed or knew a person who knowingly flew a drone in a currently active NFZ

• Do nothing

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Confront them but not report them.

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Confront them and tell them you were going to report them.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Report them to authorities and provide all the info you have about them.

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STKNRUD

Reactions
I live in Arizona where there is a large wild fire in progress. I also just returned from a trip to Utah where there was another large fire burning. In both locations, drones were in the news for impairing the efforts of the crews fighting the fire. In both cases, air resources were grounded because of drones. The link below shows the very specific and dramatic bad press drones are getting.

Drones continue to cause problems for wildfire crews

I know this is a topic of many threads. But I ask an open question of what would you do if you knew the person doing it? Would you report a friend who was bragging about the great videos he got of the fire? If you saw them flying the drone in question, would you call the police? It is easy to 'text-slap' someone in this forum that does something stupid, but what would you do if you knew or witnessed a pilot doing something this dangerous that really negatively impacting our hobby.

Personally, I don't care too much about the guy you goes beyond VLOS in a rural area or exceeds the 400' in a similar area where there is clearly no possible person/property risk, nuisance factor or potential negative impact on an observer (if one were even in the area).

Pier pressure is so important. RC flying sites hardly ever get bad press because safety at the sites are strictly enforced by other flyers. One bad apple puts the entire club at risk of losing their flying site. No such pressure is possible with drones unless we individually do what we can to self-police our drone community beyond the simple post on a forum page.

I don't like the word "confront" in this context so I'm not answering your poll.

I would tell people they were in a NFZ and that there were severe consequences. I'd also tell them that I was not going to report them as long as they got the drone out and/or on the ground. If the person was belligerent I'd add that it's hard enough gaining public acceptance of drone flying without people disobeying the rules, that those that flout them make it hard for the rest of us.

I'm not lily white on rules, but I do stay out of NFZ's and otherwise bend the rules as little as possible.

Would I report a friend? There would be no need. 1) I don't know of any of my friends that would do this and 2) even if they did, I'd simply require them to stop flying.

This is all considering that for some reason we are with a few miles of the fire and for some reason I'm standing there watching that person fly. I have no idea why that situation would happen

But to really answer your question.... why would you simply tell them to stop flying? End of problem.

I don't like the word "confront" in this context so I'm not answering your poll.

I would tell people they were in a NFZ and that there were severe consequences. I'd also tell them that I was not going to report them as long as they got the drone out and/or on the ground. If the person was belligerent I'd add that it's hard enough gaining public acceptance of drone flying without people disobeying the rules, that those that flout them make it hard for the rest of us.

I'm not lily white on rules, but I do stay out of NFZ's and otherwise bend the rules as little as possible.

It is impossible to write a survey question that is brief and conveys all the possibilities. I tried editing the question to specify a NFZ for a wild fire. Perhaps if the NFZ was because of VIP movements miles away and the drone flight in question was not near the activity I would agree with your post. I think most responsible drone flyers are not "lily white on rules". There are few activities in life where we are. However, I think your response to not "confront" might be different were your, or a friend's home, was in imminent danger of a wild fire and the person you don't want to "confront" or report to authorities was flying a drone to get pics of the fire and got the air resources protecting your home grounded. However, I think I would report anyone that got belligerent because they are likely the type that don't care about any rules or consequences in any situation. In the situation I just outlined, one appropriate survey answer might be to 'smash the guy's controller into the ground'. Very hard to write a survey that considers all situations.

Last edited:

It is impossible to write a survey question that is brief and conveys all the possibilities. I tried editing the question to be specific about a NFZ for a wild fire but was unable. Perhaps if the NFZ was because of VIP movements miles away and the drone flight in question was not near the activity I would agree with your post. I think most responsible drone flyers are not "lily white on rules". There are few activities in life where we are. However, I think your response to not "confront" might be different were your home, or a friend's home, was in imminent danger of a wild fire and the person you don't want to "confront" or report to authorities was flying a drone to get pics of the fire and got the air resources protecting your home grounded. However, I think I would report anyone that got belligerent because they are likely the type that don't care about any rules or consequences in any situation. I think in the scenario I just outlined, I think some of us would grab the guy's controller and smash it into the ground. Like I said, impossible to write a survey question for every situation or enough choice options for everyone.

Last edited:
Your poll doesn't have enough options, I would ask them to stop flying explaining that the area is a NFZ and violating will only cause problems for drone operators. If he says no, I would go and report it, but not tell him that I'm going to report them.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
This is not a grey area. Flying in a restricted fire area is not a matter of the public image of drones. It's a threat to life and property. If the fire fighting planes are grounded, the fire spreads and the hot shots flighting it are in danger. Don't equivicate. Don't try to act like you can judge the severity. It's wrong!

It is impossible to write a survey question that is brief and conveys all the possibilities. I tried editing the question to be specific about a NFZ for a wild fire but was unable. Perhaps if the NFZ was because of VIP movements miles away and the drone flight in question was not near the activity I would agree with your post. I think most responsible drone flyers are not "lily white on rules". There are few activities in life where we are. However, I think your response to not "confront" might be different were your home, or a friend's home, was in imminent danger of a wild fire and the person you don't want to "confront" or report to authorities was flying a drone to get pics of the fire and got the air resources protecting your home grounded. However, I think I would report anyone that got belligerent because they are likely the type that don't care about any rules or consequences in any situation. I think in the scenario I just outlined, I think some of us would grab the guy's controller and smash it into the ground. Like I said, impossible to write a survey question for every situation or enough choice options for everyone.

My issue is solely with your word "confront". It's a very negative connotation.

In the case where there is imminent danger, yes indeed, spell it out. But in most cases of an NFZ incursion there is no imminent danger to anyone.

I agree that confront is too strong a work.

Approach in a friendly manor, state that yoy are a fellow drone pilot and gently point out that his actions are both dangerous and bad PR for the hobby.

Hopefully coming from a fellow flyer he will take the advice and land.

If not say that you'll need to report him.

If that doesn't work - then report

Reactions: jcp411
Wow.... self proclaimed drone police confronting, smashing and demanding.
What right empowers one citizen over another to intervene forcefully?
If you truly feel compelled to intervene i would suggest contacting the appropriate authorities and provide whatever details you can.
Or is this simply a case of machismo opportunities? Tough guys telling others what to do.
This poll result is astounding in so much as some people feel complelled to hassle others if they "THINK" they have some moral high ground.

Last edited:
Many more cases like this and we'll have fire service aircraft equipped with air-to-air missiles!!!

I'm only half joking.....air defense missiles have been used on drones overseas to SPECTACULAR effect. (Even if it is a huge waste of a million+ dollar missile)

1st off none of my friends would be dumb enough to try that and second the moron should pay the price for flying in an area where peoples lives are in imediate danger! That being said it think the use of drones in these situations would be invaluable in helping with search and rescue and saving lives!!!

Is this a group of cub scouts flying the drones or is it three or four 220lb 6'4" Hells angels with Harley's pulled over to the side of the road? That difference changes the meaning of the word "Confront" drastically.:D

Rob

Reactions: jcp411 and reckless
Wow.... self proclaimed drone police confronting, smashing and demanding.
What right empowers one citizen over another to intervene forcefully?
How about "imminent danger"? Have you or your family been in imminent danger? Would you just call authorities if you could do something about it? I doubt your house and your family have ever been endangered by a wild fire where evacuations are in process and someone taking pics from a drone could result in the discontinuation of the air assets. I didn't say I would hit the guy which would be assault. He is committing a crime. Since when is "confronting" wrong when stopping a crime or reporting him to authorities less offensive then "confronting" him? "Smash" his transmitter? You're darn right I would. It would ensure an immediate RTH. Maybe if I just asked him nicely and gave him time to finish his flight and get that last pic, he would act responsibly which he isn't anyway. Just call authorities? Of course, but how long a response do you think that might take? Maybe by stopping him, aka "confronting" him I could eliminate the authorities from stopping the air assets. Those who are concerned with "confronting" someone who is committing this kind of a crime aren't real. I have been in a wildfire where my friends lost their home. It is devastating. Even if you are not harmed, it takes one or more years to recover. If you haven't been there, I suggest you hold your judgement about the appropriateness of "confronting" or smashing a transmitter.

Reactions: ascension
How about "imminent danger"? Have you or your family been in imminent danger? Would you just call authorities if you could do something about it? I doubt your house and your family have ever been endangered by a wild fire where evacuations are in process and someone taking pics from a drone could result in the discontinuation of the air assets. I didn't say I would hit the guy which would be assault. He is committing a crime. Since when is "confronting" wrong when stopping a crime or reporting him to authorities less offensive then "confronting" him? "Smash" his transmitter? You're darn right I would. It would ensure an immediate RTH. Maybe if I just asked him nicely and gave him time to finish his flight and get that last pic, he would act responsibly which he isn't anyway. Just call authorities? Of course, but how long a response do you think that might take? Maybe by stopping him, aka "confronting" him I could eliminate the authorities from stopping the air assets. Those who are concerned with "confronting" someone who is committing this kind of a crime aren't real. I have been in a wildfire where my friends lost their home. It is devastating. Even if you are not harmed, it takes one or more years to recover. If you haven't been there, I suggest you hold your judgement about the appropriateness of "confronting" or smashing a transmitter.

Like Robbyg said:
Is this a group of cub scouts flying the drones or is it three or four 220lb 6'4" Hells angels with Harley's pulled over to the side of the road? That difference changes the meaning of the word "Confront" drastically.:D

Rob

Tough guy behind a keyboard or looking for a fast way to jail! pffft

You do not have a right to hit, abuse, or say anything to anyone. Even speaking with them harshly can constitute assault!
You should never condone violence nor incite it - Particularly on friendly flying forums!!!!

Like Robbyg said:

Tough guy behind a keyboard or looking for a fast way to jail! pffft

You do not have a right to hit, abuse, or say anything to anyone. Even speaking with them harshly can constitute assault!
You should never condone violence nor incite it - Particularly on friendly flying forums!!!!

You have to be kidding.

Get evidence, get their license plate and report them to local law enforcement or the FAA. Would not even think twice.

Reactions: TheWolfen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov