DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid question: How does "cache" work with these drones?

I sort of understand the part about recording to the phone. But I have no idea where the settings lie or how to manage them... or what is reasonable for the amount of storage space left on my phone. I know that since I started videotaping with my drones the space on my computer's HD has filled up quickly to the point where I need to install another internal drive.
Buy an external 2 TB drive that will plug into your PC USB 2 or 3 port. Tons of space for downloads and has the added benefit of being portable. I suggest also buying a second and use it as a backup copy. Seagate makes reliable and reasonably priced drives; I am using for my Air 2 archives.

Note that cache files are not high quality. The files on the SD are the ones to use for high quality photos or videos.

Also, the cache files are not recorded when the ac to rc downlink is lost, unlike the files on the drone, which will continue until manually stopped.

On disc space problems - that is the price of high quality video. Best Buy sells 8 TB drives for $160 or so.

Reactions: TreeHugger
For video record and playback, normal spinning drives are just fine. The frame playback is the limiting factor, not the disc read speed. This logic fails only if you are trying to play back multiple video streams in parallel. In the case of writes, by definition you are writing only a single stream, and the HD is not stressed.

For video record and playback, normal spinning drives are just fine. The frame playback is the limiting factor, not the disc read speed. This logic fails only if you are trying to play back multiple video streams in parallel. In the case of writes, by definition you are writing only a single stream, and the HD is not stressed.
It is fairly slow even to copy or "wake up" if I'm honest. I just got this drive for archiving older stuff in which case it's plenty useful for that. I tend to use my laptop for editing anyhow so the big drive is on my iMac (2010).

Reactions: zeusfl
I have extra storage on iCloud. Personally I find it extremely cumbersome and difficult as Apple totally disorganized my fully organized image bank. A while back during one of Apples updates all my thousands of images that were in nice neat folders got scrambled out order, like new decks of card thrown up in a tornado and retrieved. 3 days on the phone with Apple Customer service couldn't put them back as they were- even though I had them all backed up on a separate drive because effen iTunes wouldn't let it happen. All this makes it even more difficult to sort and discard images and files. If I could live without the two Apple products I have- I would. Sorry for the rant.

......That same scramble happened to me. I don't want to go down a rabbit hole about Apple but I am still reorganizing my pics.

WDK

I have the Mavic 2 zoom with the smart controller. It helps having a dedicated device. I also can record whats on my screen. I never gave much thought to the cache. Amazing place to find out anything about Mavics, much appreciated.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Interesting ideas. The thing is that I only have 11 GB left on my 60GB drive on my phone. It wouldn't take much to lock that sucker up. I was thinking about buying an older iPad Mini to use exclusively for flying and this sort of thing, but expect to get a hand-me-down XsMax in about 6 months and I could use my iPhone 6s Plus for flying. But right now I'm kind of ham strung due to the small amount storage space left.
My iPad is dedicated to the MM and only 32GB That sucker locked up !! With storage issues. How does "cache" work is the smartest question posted in a long time ! This post has prompted me to go back to using my pixel 3.

Good advice from old man Mavic. I always cache to iPhone 7+, the phone does get hot and CPU warning shows occasional, removing background running apps helps. I download from DJI editor to device, then photos/videos automatically transfer to iPad in camera roll. Quality good enough for me, just a nice memory of that day + still able to download from SD if you want better quality.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have the smart controller and Mavic 2 Pro. I'm having problems viewing photos from the smart controller after I take them. They are getting stored on the SD card in the drone, but I can't find them when I go into the photos/albums app on the smart controller.

I have the "Cache to SD Card" and the "Download Footage to External SD Card" settings enabled in General Settings. "Largest Video Cache Capacity" is set to "2G" which I take to mean 2 GB. Cache space remaining is 998 MB.

When I go into the photos/albums app, I see three sections - photos, albums and SD Card. However I can't find my photos in any of these sections. I assume the "SD Card" on this screen refers to the SD Card in the Smart Controller.

For now, I'm removing the SD card from the drone and inserting it into my Mac to access the images. Is there something extra I need to do to get these images cached to the smart controller?

What exactly does "Clear Cache" option in the settings clear (I assume it is to erase to point that it can no longer be retrieved)?

So far from the replies I read here it clears:

1. lo-res photo copies. (I assume this includes panorama, 48MP, sphere and other photos)
2. videos - ? (hyperlapse, quickshots, etc)
3 waypoints
4. other settings - ?

Right now, I have 463.1 mb of cache and I would like to clear all this but I want to be sure also what I am clearing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
demoyne