Stuttering video playback

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by JustPlainJay, Dec 29, 2016.

1. JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay Member

I'm getting a slight stutter in video playback. This is playback from files whether from my phone or downloaded from the sd card to my computer and played there. I've filmed in 4k and 2.7 as well as in .mov and mp4. It looks like one of those surveillance camera videos. Cars on the roads jump, jump, jump. This is with the card that comes with the MP. Maybe an upgraded Sandisk card with faster transfer rates will help? Anyone else seen this problem?

2. Isone

Isone Active Member

I have, not sure what kind of issue we're looking at. I'm at the hands-on-hips, "that's weird" phase still.

3. erkme73

erkme73 Well-Known Member

What kind of phone are you using? 4k has a very high bitrate - relative to what most phones and computers normally use. If either is not powerful enough, you may need an upgrade.

What you can do is upload a small 4k clip to youtube and watch it after it's finished processing. View it in a down-scaled resolution (i.e. 1080). If it's still stuttering, then it's recorded that way. If it plays clear, you need new hardware (or maybe you have missing codecs?)...

Isone likes this.
  4. JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay Member

I'm running an iPhone 7 plus. Other than a faster SD card than what came with it I'll check the program playing it back even though it stutters in the same spots. That's what made me think bit rate problems at recording from sd card or heaven forbid from the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

5. erkme73

I suppose you could have a problematic SD card that came with the MP. That's probably the easiest thing to switch out - especially if you have extras laying around. FWIW, I'm using some old SanDisk 64GB class 10 cards. They're not the fastest available, but they work great using all the highest bit rate formats on the MP.

6. Jenee

Jenee New Member

I had a similar issue and had a friend who is experienced in video look at it.
    Seems it was the program I was using to play the video. Changed to VLC media player and the problem went away.

JustPlainJay likes this.
  7. Shuttershooter

Sure enough, I had the same problem and it was the NEW Sandisk Extreme Card

8. erkme73

I need to revise that statement. I have three that I rotate through, and one of them I get constant write speed errors on the MP while recording. The other two work without hiccup. All three are identical make/model/size.

9. Herc

Herc New Member

I'm totally new to drone photography. Had same problem and concern, thought it may be playback problems with digesting 4k - 2.7 vids. Sure enough when I rendered in Premiere pro it was all steady. Think your play back software just can't keep up with footage. Import into whatever video editing program you use and look again.

10. YoshiK1

YoshiK1 Well-Known Member

Get the GoPro video editor. Open the file. Set the playback resolution to low. If it's not jumpy it's your devices and need upgrading. I had the same issue on my MacBook and I upgraded it to an Alienware i7 with GTX970 and I can play 4k without flicker.