DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Subpar Goggles Resolution - Please Help

toad

Reactions
I received my goggles yesterday and either I've been duped by all the excellent reviews on Youtube or something else isn't right. I hope the latter because I really want to be excited about these but just haven't been too impressed. Below you will find 3 photos of the same object, take a look at the time on my oven. I would expect the image (goggles.jpg) to be a little more clear. I also included a picture taken with the Mavic and also my Note 5 that I used to take a picture of my goggles screen. (Mavic was focused). The picture seems to be subpar at best when I am flying too but if I look down at my phone, the video quality is as excellent. My next test will be to take a video of from te the goggles POV.

-Mavic was stationary on a chair and not flying when photos were taken.
-Same whether 1080 or 720 on goggles
-latest firmware (.800) on Goggles and Mavic

Would anyone be willing to try the same type of test I have done and see if they get better results?

***Edit - I plugged my goggles into my laptop using HDMI and watched about 30 minutes of Harry Potter. Quality was excellent which leads me to believe it may be a transmission issue?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Attachments

• Goggles.jpg
    Goggles.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • Mavic.JPG
    Mavic.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 100
  • Phone.PNG
    Phone.PNG
    1,009 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Anyone? I I thought I would at least get a comment or 2....

Don't know, for me they're good in 720 and pinsharp in 1080.

Might want to try in good light. Here you'll be having high iso, which causes noise, which noise reduction turns into a mush.

Reactions: Trevlam and toad
I have found the quality of the goggles video to be very good especially compared to other goggles on the market.

But I still think my iPad Mini 4 with retina display is a bit sharper.

The biggest difference is the sun light hitting the iPad compared to the goggles makes a difference.

I am still deciding whether I like using the goggles more or the iPad with a hoodman sun shield on it.

Reactions: toad
Don't know, for me they're good in 720 and pinsharp in 1080.

Might want to try in good light. Here you'll be having high iso, which causes noise, which noise reduction turns into a mush.
Good point, on the light, Kilrah. Wouldn't my Mavic.jpg reflect poor lighting too? I'll take some more photos in the next few hours outside. Perfect sunny day today.

Not necessarily, when taking a photo the settings are not the same as are required for live view.

Also, you should only judge quality in video mode. It is known that the preview in photo mode is lower quality.

Not necessarily, when taking a photo the settings are not the same as are required for live view.

Also, you should only judge quality in video mode. It is known that the preview in photo mode is lower quality.

Very true, but I would still expect live mode to be better than what I am seeing now, understanding that it will never be as good as a photo/video final image. Goggle.jpg was a live view.

Last edited:
User @Mrhall said it best in a conversation he and I were having.

My suggestion of some way to scale down the picture size, would make a big difference. If it's possible to scale down a HDMI input, it should be possible to do the same with the feed directly from the Mavic or P4P.
What I mean is that, even if the screens in the glasses are full HD (3840 x 1980 or 1920 x 1080 per screen), when you put that in front of a magnifying glass and inches from your eyes, every pixel is magnified as well.

I think scaling down could help. Do other users find that everything is a lot closer with the goggles as if your looking through binoculars? I am new to VR so maybe this is normal?

No, when downlinking in 1080 you have a match between screen pixel and image pixel, downsizing would not help with definition, just lose detail.
If what you mean is that the pixels of the actual screens are too big (i.e. when looking at the default "no picture" background you see the dots) there is nothing you can do about it (would need to physically change the optics to make a smaller visible image of the same screen), and you'll want to know that even if it's for sure no "retina display" it's by far the best I've ever seen on any HMD (and that's a whole lot of them over 15 years).
I was kinda scared when I saw the initial FOV specs that it would be too big for 1920x1080 to look OK on, but I was pleasantly surprised, it's indeed still finer than the now 2nd best.

Did you ever solve this issue? if not, are there any other ideas? my goggles have been great for over a year, but this summer I am having image quality issues with the goggles, even though the iPad and finished video is excellent. thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661